Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2022, 02:52 PM

17,648 posts, read 14,784,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
It covers every extreme position Republicans can dream up as apparently there is no limit to the nonsense they will propose.

And, like I said, its not happening so it's not really an issue.
lol

The left's line in the sand is nothing short of abortion on demand til birth.

And yet you say it's the right who has the extreme position?

This is what frustrates me about people like you and the left. You want to act like it's the other side who are the lunatics and the fringe - but in fact, it's your side who have zero plans on giving an inch.

There is no room for negotiation - and it's not because of the right.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:02 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,467,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
lol

This is what frustrates me about people like you and the left. You want to act like it's the other side who are the lunatics and the fringe - but in fact, it's your side who have zero plans on giving an inch.

Pro-choice women, the left, democrats and many republicans were happily coexisting mainly in the middle until a few months ago.

Republicans brought this war on. Republicans were unable to control their extremists and let them take over the party.

Democrats are going to meet that by unleashing their extremists. What did you expect would happen?

Surely you did not think that women who were mostly minding their own business were going to agree to going back to second class citizens? Or maybe you did.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Pro-choice women, the left, democrats and many republicans were happily coexisting mainly in the middle until a few months ago.

Republicans brought this war on. Republicans were unable to control their extremists and let them take over the party.

Democrats are going to meet that by unleashing their extremists. What did you expect would happen?

Surely you did not think that women who were mostly minding their own business were going to agree to going back to second class citizens? Or maybe you did.
Listen, if your position is abortion on demand til birth, just own it. Don't dance around it, don't say it never happens, just own your position.

The Dem extremists for abortion on demand were unleashed YEARS ago.

Hell, Hillary voted against a ban on partial birth and late term abortions almost two decades ago.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:19 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,160,265 times
Quote:
lol

When I learned that my first pregnancy was nonviable at a twenty-week ultrasound, I lived in a state that permitted abortion up to 24 weeks. Were the same to happen today, there are very few places I could go to have the procedure. Were it to pass, Graham's bill would leave a woman like me with no options whatsoever aside from leaving the country. As I have pointed out multiple times in this thread, the most sensitive diagnostic tests happen after Graham's 15-week cutoff, forcing women whose pregnancies may be affected by severe birth defects to make a decision using blood test results that have a high rate of false positives. That is why I do not support Graham's bill.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:20 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,467,974 times
Quote:
Listen, if your position is abortion on demand til birth, just own it. Don't dance around it, don't say it never happens, just own your position.

The Dem extremists for abortion on demand were unleashed YEARS ago.

Hell, Hillary voted against a ban on partial birth and late term abortions almost two decades ago.
I never said it was my position.

I was fine with the limitations/exceptions in Roe.

I am not on board with any Republican position I have seen to date. I believe two R female senators tried to get a D senator on board with a compromise reflecting Roe but to date it hasn't gone anywhere.

That leaves for me and millions like me only the Democrats as an option to preserve womens rights. I am not concerned about abortion until birth, because I know it is not happening.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
When I learned that my first pregnancy was nonviable at a twenty-week ultrasound, I lived in a state that permitted abortion up to 24 weeks. Were the same to happen today, there are very few places I could go to have the procedure. Graham's bill would leave me with no options whatsoever aside from leaving the country were it to pass. As I have pointed out multiple times in this thread, the most sensitive diagnostic tests happen after Graham's 15-week cutoff, forcing women like me to make a decision using blood test results that have a high rate of false positives. That is why I do not support Graham's bill.
Do you want any restrictions on abortion?

Old 09-16-2022, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Do you want any restrictions on abortion?
If there must be a cutoff, maybe I would be okay with twenty-four weeks but not a day earlier. Honestly, though, I agree with Blondy. Abortions of perfectly healthy pregnancies in the third trimester don't happen. It infuriates me to see cases like mine dismissed because they make up only 1% of abortions. That seems so unlikely, right? Until you're the one laying on the ultrasound table when the room goes completely silent. It's a lonely place, that ultrasound room. It devours dreams.

Last edited by kj1065; 09-16-2022 at 03:33 PM..

Old 09-16-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
If there must be a cutoff, maybe I would be okay with twenty-four weeks but not a day earlier. Honestly, though, I agree with Blondy. Abortions of perfectly healthy pregnancies in the third trimester don't happen. It infuriates me to see cases like mine dismissed because they make up only 1% of abortions. That seems so unlikely, right? Until you're the one laying on the ultrasound table when the room goes completely silent. It's a lonely place, that ultrasound room, a devourer of dreams.
If those 3rd trimester healthy abortions don’t happen - then you should have no issue saying they shouldn’t be allowed.

Also, I’m not going to engage with you on a personal level regarding your experience.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
If those 3rd trimester healthy abortions don’t happen - then you should have no issue saying they shouldn’t be allowed.

Also, I’m not going to engage with you on a personal level regarding your experience.
Why? Because it's painful to consider an actual person who underwent an abortion after twenty weeks? It's easier when can speak only in generalities, right? It's so much simpler to think that the only women who have abortions skipped the birth control because they're...well... I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks. Nobody ever wants to believe that an educated, happily-married woman in the suburbs with a perfectly decorated nursery and a baby name all picked out needs an abortion. It just shatters all those preconceptions, doesn't it? Cognitive dissonance indeed. So back we go to, "it's only 1%, and they don't matter." Am I angry? You bet I'm angry over being discounted in this discussion! Access to abortion is not merely an academic debate for me. It was my life! It was my financial security! It was my mental health! It was my physical health! It was everything! That woman in Louisiana who was denied an abortion for acrania is not a figment of the national imagination. She exists, just like I do.

Old 09-16-2022, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Why? Because it's painful to consider an actual person who underwent an abortion after twenty weeks? It's easier when can speak only in generalities, right? It's so much simpler to think that the only women who have abortions skipped the birth control because they're...well... I'll leave it to you to fill in the blanks. Nobody ever wants to believe that an educated, happily-married woman in the suburbs with a perfectly decorated nursery and a baby name all picked out needs an abortion. It just shatters all those preconceptions, doesn't it? Cognitive dissonance indeed. So back we go to, "it's only 1%, and they don't matter." Am I angry? You bet I'm angry over being discounted in this discussion! Access to abortion is not merely an academic debate for me. It was my life! It was my financial security! It was my mental health! It was my physical health! It was everything!
No. Because your posts on the topic are always emotional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies