Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your next vehicle purchase be an electric vehicle?
No - I'm sticking with gas powered 144 78.26%
Yes, I prefer the electric vehicle 24 13.04%
Other type powered vehicle 11 5.98%
I don't drive 5 2.72%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 01:44 PM

8,943 posts, read 2,968,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
I probably will buy electric with my next car purchase, but I just bought a car last year so that purchase will be a few years out. I have a buddy that drives his Tesla between San Diego and Houston several times a year. I generally don't drive too many places that don't have good charging infrastructure now, much less in a few years. Plus going to the gas station is usually one of my least favorite parts of the day and I'd rather avoid them.

Add in the fact electric vehicles are quieter, heavier (in case of accidents they *generally* do better) and more efficient - it's a no brainer to me. Upfront costs are a bit higher, but I expect that delta to be much smaller in 3-5 years.
How would a heavier car do better in an accident? Evs weigh 10-20% more on average than ICE vehicles. That means more INERTIA. Harder collisions in accidents, more wear on tires, more wear on brakes, harder to steer, less agile, etc.

Weight is a bad thing, not a good thing.

Seems like we're regressing instead or progressing, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
True but all in EVs win easily because of ICE heat and pump losses. It's not even remotely close and it all be worse and worse for ICEs into the future.
You seem to not know much about EVs. EVs are terribly slow on the top end BECAUSE OF HEAT issues. They are limited in how fast they can go in their software.

What are "pump losses?" There is no EV in the world that is as fast as the fastest ICE vehicle today.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:47 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I have been driving my current BMW 5-series for 12 years. It is garage kept and I do my own maintenance. I will drive it until the wheels fall off. I haven't found anything that comes close to the ride or performance.
Exactly! I had a 2000 BMW 528i with the straight six. Best car I've ever owned. Ran flawless for 18 years. I did my own service & maintenance on it myself too. It was the best car I've ever owned and I loved it so much, I bought another 5 series in 2018. I gave the 2000 to someone I know and he's still driving it around today.
The straight 6 cylinders are one of the very best engines BMW ever made.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I won't consider it until the infrastructure is similar to gas powered, with charging stations all over the place, the tech to charge quickly, then maybe.
And it will never get to that because EVs aren't compelling enough for the majority to demand that we spend the trillions of dollars and invest the years it would take to do this, while eschewing gas.

Old 09-26-2022, 01:51 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,130,165 times
My Pontiac Trans Am identifies as a hybrid, it burns both gas and oil.

Old 09-27-2022, 01:32 AM

32 posts, read 14,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Or what if someone gets into the car with you to kidnap you and the car refuses to hit the "gas" and run into the nearest object to put the creep thru the windscreen? That was a defence a few years ago incase someone tried to abduct you in your car.......
That's a legit one. Though there are countless situations where this tech can go south, we have to consider that the development of A.I. vehicles is merely at the beginning (and yet a lot of progress is made).

Garry Kasparov's interesting thought about A.I.: "the things we know how we do - machines will do better, and the things that we do good, but we still don't know how we do them that way - humans will do better".

When he said that, he was thinking of A.I. chess. But, the same logic can apply to A.I. vehicles. We know the characteristics of a safe driver, and we know how to drive safe - so there's just a matter of time before we learn the machines to do that better than us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies