Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 09:01 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,600,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Cops have priority over trains.
True. Cops had their lights on. Train should have pulled over to the side of the tracks.
Moderators for US and World Forums
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 05:00 AM

15,423 posts, read 9,096,973 times
Quote:
LOL, no they don't. Even if there was such a law, which there is not, it would be impossible. The only thing a cop can do is call the railroad dispatcher and request that a train stop.

Quote:
2:40: Operators are always in a position of making rest benefit analysis. They've got a known issue on the other side as they approach a rail crossing. They have to decide is it worth it to pass directly in front of a moving train. No, we need to yield to the railroad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi7MMG5vYK8

Old 10-10-2022, 05:03 AM

24,651 posts, read 9,477,090 times
Quote:
Ah yes, it's the train's fault that it can't stop on a dime.

Guess they'll have to sue the train company.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:31 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Thanks for the update, can't rep ya.

2 points:

1) crossings are basically the same except this one doesn't have the gates\lights but the one I linked to had industry around it so trucks etc. while this one is just nothing around but fields.

2) In the upper left hand corner there is a little box that has the address and says "street view", the one you linked to doesn't have the little clock symbol next to it but the one I linked does. That means the location I first posted has had multiple street views taken and you can click and see earlier versions.

This can be REALLY interesting if you want to see things over time.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:35 AM

78,450 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Well, these cops are either criminal masterminds that concocted an insanely complex plan with critical timing aspects....or, they're idiots that parked on train tracks and got distracted.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:35 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
To use one of my father's favorite terms, "Unbelievably stupid."

And that just begins to describe this multi-idiot event.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:41 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,608,534 times
There was 32 seconds from the first audible sound of the train to the impact. The streetvieew shows a curve in the tracks, possibly obstructing the engineer's view util a few hundred yards before the scene.

As a casual observer, I might not have paid much attention to the crossing, right next to a 4-lane divided highway, marked only by an old wooden crossbuck, without any bells, flashers or gates. It has the appearance of a dis-used railway.

The officer laughing sounded to me to be in response to the town cop's admission it was his "first time" like this. If you're around cops much, you'll see that a gallows humor is what cushions them from things they see up close and personal, that you don't even want to hear about.

The Platteville cop is in way over his head, through no fault of his own, I hope he comes out with at least his sanity.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:42 AM

13,305 posts, read 7,876,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Ah yes, it's the train's fault that it can't stop on a dime.

Guess they'll have to sue the train company.
Ain't you never heard about ego superiority that carries more weight than the weight of freight train?

Functionality has been long evaporated.

Old 10-10-2022, 09:52 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
There was 32 seconds from the first audible sound of the train to the impact. The streetvieew shows a curve in the tracks, possibly obstructing the engineer's view util a few hundred yards before the scene.

As a casual observer, I might not have paid much attention to the crossing, right next to a 4-lane divided highway, marked only by an old wooden crossbuck, without any bells, flashers or gates. It has the appearance of a dis-used railway.

The officer laughing sounded to me to be in response to the town cop's admission it was his "first time" like this. If you're around cops much, you'll see that a gallows humor is what cushions them from things they see up close and personal, that you don't even want to hear about.

The Platteville cop is in way over his head, through no fault of his own, I hope he comes out with at least his sanity.
Yes. From the time you hear the first horn to the time the train hit the car was enough time to get the lady out. If the cop car was still running, they had enough time to pull it forward or back, had they paid attention to that horn. As I said earlier, it wasn't a lot of time, but they could have done it had they kept their awareness up, instead of relaxing while hanging around in the back area of her truck.

They completely shut off their surroundings in their minds despite having stood and walked on those tracks. They were acting like they were recruits back at the academy going through a training exercise. Totally oblivious to exactly where they were.

Old 10-10-2022, 11:20 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
I have no sympathy for her......plus, now she is going to get millions.....for road rage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies