Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 10:08 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Having read more, I do think I misunderstood the source of the conflict between Musk and his child. It appears it has nothing to do with gender and everything to do with money. I'll play armchair psychologist for a moment and suggest that this young person has discovered that her father's enormous wealth stands in the way of normal relationships. The change to her mother's surname is a clue. She is looking to escape the spotlight of her father's wealth, and Musk spilling all to the FT is not just unhelpful but a demonstration of his near pathological level of self-involvement. A good father would recognize the source of her anger and work to help her deal with it. I expect that she already worries about being used, and here's her own father doing exactly that, using her to further his libertarian street cred.

“Libertarianism. A simple-minded right-wing ideology ideally suited to those unable or unwilling to see past their own sociopathic self-regard.”

~Ian Banks, ‘Transitions’
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 10:41 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,795,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
He's the problem because he's blaming it on others. Why not just have a conservation with your child about it. Why is he putting this in the news anyway. Why is it our business.
He feels as though the university, that I assume he pays for, confused his daughter about her gender and is teaching her communism. He has every right to publicly state his beliefs. I’m sure he has discussed these things with his daughter.

Old 10-08-2022, 10:55 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
He feels as though the university, that I assume he pays for, confused his daughter about her gender and is teaching her communism. He has every right to publicly state his beliefs. I’m sure he has discussed these things with his daughter.
We either treat 18 year olds as adults who have their own minds and thoughts able to form their own opinions and make their own decisions or we don’t. We have 18 year olds in our military. These are not kids.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:12 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I had no idea that Musk even had kids, much less 9 of them, he sure seems to live the life of a single and unencumbered man. I can see how his kids might need to be more protected than other kids. They probably are potential targets for kidnappers.

Five of them are with his college sweetheart/first wife.

Old 10-08-2022, 11:16 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,435,653 times
Rich people problems, lol, cry me a river. His kids have been so spoiled that if daddy was to say "you can't go out tonight, you're grounded for pouring your spaghetti all over the maid", the child would say "I hate you. I'm getting emancipated"!

Old 10-08-2022, 11:19 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
He doesn’t mention gender. He doesn’t say they confused his daughter about gender. Also, he blames “neo marxists in elite schools and universities” as a whole, not THE university his daughter may or may not even attend.

He only talks about “communism”.

I can’t get to the whole interview in the FT, it’s paywalled, but if you have any further quotes about the university confusing his daughter about her identity, please share.

Quote:
In a new interview with the Financial Times, the world's richest man blamed 'neo-Marxists' in elite schools and universities for the estrangement between him and his daughter.

He added: 'It's full-on communism . . . and a general sentiment that if you're rich, you're evil.'

It is unclear where Vivian goes to school, and Musk offered no further details on his allegation.
She’s only 18, so unclear just how long she’s been in uni. Can’t have been long unless she finished high school at a younger age than most. It’s not even clear she goes to school at all right now.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:24 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
I agree as a parent you have to ensure that your child doesn’t get the mind virus. Musk has what 8 kids and many businesses. He probably doesn’t have the time to dedicate towards his children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Mind virus? Please elaborate, thanks in advance.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Whiteness. A Problem for our Time is the “mind virus”?
Quote:
Cultural marxism, post modernism. You know the virus that’s rampant at Universities.
Whiteness. A Problem for our Time does not mention “cultural Marxism or post modernism” in the 3 paragraph synopsis at the link. I did not watch the seminar.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:56 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
He isnt wrong
Sure isn't. I think you do your best to raise your kids, but they have no obligation to become what you want or to want to join the family. As he said, you can't win them all.

It seems like an inordinate number of celebrities kids or transexuals, not sure why.

Old 10-09-2022, 06:00 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,090,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Again, Musk's child is NOT in college. Vivian attends an exclusive, experimental school Musk himself set up to educate his children at SpaceX. They have lived in a bubble controlled by their father for their entire lives!
Mental illness knows no bounds. Musk and [whomever the mother is] should have intervened early and hard to prevent this boy’s sh*t show from going to where it now is.

Old 10-09-2022, 07:07 AM

23,992 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
The children are basically in a situation of unlimited resources all around and obviously have very good genes. They’ll be fine.
IIRC, Musk is on the spectrum. Asperger's. One would think by now, he'd be the last one dissing anybody communication style. Perhaps he needs to spend some of that time and money on learning how to communicate with his own family.

If the kid is truly trans, it might be coming straight from dad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies