Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 09:02 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Just wondering why some feel the need to virtue signal by wearing the following:

- pronoun pins
- lgbt rainbow style clothing
- masks
- Ukraine flags
You can bet all the companies pumping these items into stores are grateful for sales. I doubt a one of them care who wears/waves them or why. It's all about the money and people love to waste money as can be seen by remembering the pet rock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2022, 09:04 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
These days, everything you listed is a political statement, or interpreted as such.

Even eating at Chik-Fil-A is a political statement according to some people.

Ha! that is too funny about chik fil a but it is so true for some. I know a woman that is lesbian and she knows the owners of the local Chik fil a store and even though my friend is a die hard Dem she overlooks the supposed religious and anti gay stance of the founders of Chik fil a because she loves those sandwiches. LOL

I think the most ridiculous virtue signaling were the signs that people put out on their lawns in support of BLM. Of course Black Lives Matter because ALL Lives Matter and it is actually racist to put place one race above another. I still see those signs around and I think they are dumb.

I have seen other signs that read "I stand with Ukraine". Ok but what does that mean? How are you standing with them? Are you sending them money, advocating for them in some way or simply bearing the burden of high gas prices that according to Biden is Putin's fault, like the rest of us?

It is true that everything these days is a political statement. You could be driving a big pickup truck and people will automatically cast you as a gun toting Trump supporting climate change denier.

Maybe it is human nature to label someone when you see certain virtue signals?

I know when I see a Prius with a Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker on it I think of that driver in a certain way.

I think overall when it comes to virtue signaling like wearing a mask, a rainbow pin or having a BLM sign in your yard is a way for those people to say "I am better than you".

Old 10-25-2022, 09:06 AM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
These days, everything you listed is a political statement, or interpreted as such.

Even eating at Chik-Fil-A is a political statement according to some people.
Yeah, even CFA. I quit eating there before their gay kerfuffle because I don’t like their food. Their politics or beliefs are just superfluous for me.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:07 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Ha! that is too funny about chik fil a but it is so true for some. I know a woman that is lesbian and she knows the owners of the local Chik fil a store and even though my friend is a die hard Dem she overlooks the supposed religious and anti gay stance of the founders of Chik fil a because she loves those sandwiches. LOL

I think the most ridiculous virtue signaling were the signs that people put out on their lawns in support of BLM. Of course Black Lives Matter because ALL Lives Matter and it is actually racist to put place one race above another. I still see those signs around and I think they are dumb.

I have seen other signs that read "I stand with Ukraine". Ok but what does that mean? How are you standing with them? Are you sending them money, advocating for them in some way or simply bearing the burden of high gas prices that according to Biden is Putin's fault, like the rest of us?

It is true that everything these days is a political statement. You could be driving a big pickup truck and people will automatically cast you as a gun toting Trump supporting climate change denier.

Maybe it is human nature to label someone when you see certain virtue signals?

I know when I see a Prius with a Elizabeth Warren bumper sticker on it I think of that driver in a certain way.

I think overall when it comes to virtue signaling like wearing a mask, a rainbow pin or having a BLM sign in your yard is a way for those people to say "I am better than you".
Wearing a mask does not mean I am better than you, it means either I or someone I love is sicker than you. In my case, it's both.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:07 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Well I'd say some of the MAGA hat wearers are virtue signalling as well, but signaling to a different crowd. They also have something that the rainbow/Ukraine flaggers don't though...and that's balls. You wear your pronoun pin in the wrong place and you'll see some eye-rolls but that's about it. You wear your MAGA hat to the wrong place and you'll get rekt and sometimes even killed. Oh and that guy wearing his rainbow face mask will think you deserved it.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:09 AM

43,122 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1065 View Post
Wearing a mask does not mean I am better than you, it means either I or someone I love is sicker than you. In my case, it's both.
In your case, yes but to the twitter crowd..it is virtue signaling.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:11 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
One should be careful wearing symbols. "Don't Tread on Me" is the Gadsden flag from the war of independence. The tea party folks just recently took it up but historically, it was much more widely known as the symbol of the 369th Division, the famous all-black regiment known as the "Harlem Hellfighters" of World War I.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:14 AM

3,048 posts, read 1,152,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
In your case, yes but to the twitter crowd..it is virtue signaling.
So why do some of you assume the worst of a person who is wearing a mask? Perhaps that person at the grocery store wearing a mask is exactly like me. How can anyone possibly know the difference?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:20 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Why do people wear crosses or stars of David? Why do they wear a breast cancer awareness pin? We used to see POW on clothing. There are bumper stickers for schools and colleges and foreign countries. None of this new. People like to show their interests and connect with others.

Old 10-25-2022, 09:22 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Low confidence people love joining tribes to so they dont have to come up with their own identities.
/golfclap

great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies