Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:54 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

What law prevents stupidity or accidents? Another gun law will accomplish nothing other than to give gun grabbers another angle to work with.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 11-03-2022 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 05:13 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a tragedy and it was so preventable with some common sense.

Kids can be taught to leave a gun alone but what does a 2 year old know? It is the responsibility of the parents to keep kids safe.

I don't know what is worse. Leaving a loaded gun out for your toddler to find and play with or leaving your toddler alone to play with the family Pitbull?
"with some common sense."

Common sense tells me something is missing from this story.

I don't think a 2year old can hold a gun, much less hold it up, pull back the hammer and fire it.

What kind of gun was it? A revolve, a semi-automatic? They are both heavy.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:17 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,145 times
What is crazy is not only was the gun left loaded in the truck, but it was in all likelihood chambered too. No 2 year old is going to know how to chamber a gun.

What was dad doing that he felt the need to have a chambered gun, and presumably safety off in his truck?

Did he think he was going to get in a situation that called for an immediate shootout, because riding around with a chambered pistol was with the safety off sounds like it has a higher likelihood of damage than whatever potential situation he was anticipating.

Old 11-03-2022, 05:29 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"with some common sense."

Common sense tells me something is missing from this story.

I don't think a 2year old can hold a gun, much less hold it up, pull back the hammer and fire it.

What kind of gun was it? A revolve, a semi-automatic? They are both heavy.
It also said the toddler climbed into the truck by himself.

How did he get the door to the truck open? How did he climb up by himself?

Old 11-03-2022, 05:36 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It also said the toddler climbed into the truck by himself.

How did he get the door to the truck open? How did he climb up by himself?
Can reporters or a DA be trusted anymore?

Old 11-03-2022, 05:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Of course we all know that, but the point is that accidents happen and that’s why they’re called accidents. This was negligent but again, negligence is not the same as reckless. My face turns red when I realize I sent an email with a typo…can’t imagine how it would feel to know my child got ahold of something and severely injured or killed himself. I have a 2yo and it’s unfathomable.

Many people carry in their car legally and contrary to popular belief, there is no widespread law about keeping ammo separate, etc. (can’t speak for all states, just mine). I will not carry anywhere except on my person bc I would never want to forget or get lazy about where I leave it. Maybe a sibling left the truck door open when they got out - my kids have done it - and the toddler climbed in and found the gun in the glove box with one in the chamber. No way could he have racked it on his own, trigger pull would be hard enough.
Armchair quarterbacking is so easy when it is after the fact, we have all the details, and we don't have to be around to accept the consequences of our opinions/decisions.

I carry armed and loaded and one in the pipe because if it comes down to that I need my gun, it has to be ready to go one handed, such as pushing away the fiend with one hand while I am trying to grab my gun. But in that environment, if there is anyone with me, it is usually only adults (though that does put an interesting scenario question to the ready state vs when taking children to school). Of course, adult idiots are very hard to control for while they should know better, they not only do anyhow but have the full capability to do anyhow........such as my friend who wanted to feel my ready pistol while I was driving.

Children in the house are another matter and lord knows I would go insane trying to child proof this place with all its firepower to all the blades to the occasional scorpion to say nothing of the cats who rule and get away with murder. But in that subject, could someone forget about gun security? Quite possible especially when gun security meshes with other concerns.

Fire safety for the Mistress Bedroom complex has complete closed doors for that wing of the house which includes two escape routes and one of those escape routes is through the arms room of the Cat Cave. Realizing that in a house fire that time will be short, the access doors are unlocked.....and they should be locked back up in the morning again. But as that those doors are behind the sliding book case, it is that kind of house in that it does have safe room or priest holes, locking those doors in the morning can slip the mind.

Long story of the matter is, we like to think of so many things in a vacuum but real life doesn't operate like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
As I said, I don’t know what the law is. I’m not suggesting a law was broken. I’m suggesting that I would be fine with a law that effectively makes gun owners criminally responsible for such negligence. Reasonable people can disagree what constitutes appropriate care for leaving a gun in a vehicle (maybe leaving a loaded gun in a vehicle should be a crime….I don’t know, just thinking out loud). I’d have no problem deferring to knowledgeable people (gun owners, firearms safety experts, lawyers, etc) to establish a reasonable level of care. My position is: (1) if you are going to be liberal with regard to gun ownership, we should be holding those individuals to the highest safety standards to prevent tragedies like this.pm and (2) I really don’t care how badly the gun owner feels about the accident with regard to determining their criminal responsibility for the situation.
Well keep in mind that whenever you are handling a gun in the car away from the home, you are doing so "in public" and you are breaking camouflage security so that anyone who sees can be someone who might break in and steal to those who panic off the deep end with they see someone with a gun.

So going through the manual of arms from unloading to chambering and back again is not only something to be done in private being done in public but is also a rather difficult thing to do when sitting in one's car. I am always tense when I am decocking the hammer on a 1911 and even doing chambering with something with a decock lever is a tense moment. At home, I do it in the bed room, aiming at the mattress......but there are no mattresses in the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
What is crazy is not only was the gun left loaded in the truck, but it was in all likelihood chambered too. No 2 year old is going to know how to chamber a gun.

What was dad doing that he felt the need to have a chambered gun, and presumably safety off in his truck?

Did he think he was going to get in a situation that called for an immediate shootout, because riding around with a chambered pistol was with the safety off sounds like it has a higher likelihood of damage than whatever potential situation he was anticipating.
See what I said before about a gun needing to be ready to use one handed.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 11-03-2022 at 05:55 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 06:43 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,577,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You lose.
Sure I do - I'm sure you have some alternative statistics to prove your point right?

Hard to take anyone seriously when posting ridiculous gibberish not to mention the thread was the death of a 2 year old and you just couldn't resist bringing up something COMPLETELY unrelated. But you continue with your ridiculous assumption that there is an overabundance of 2 year olds getting their "sex" reassigned.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
This child was 2 months shy of being 3 years old. An active healthy child that age can ABSOLUTELY get into a truck with the door open, as this was.

This family lived in the boonies. Dad's social media shows a very aggressive looking coyote - maybe reasons similar to that are why Dad had the loaded gun in the cab of his truck? Don't know.

By all accounts, this is a VERY loving family, doting parents, caring community members, and responsible people.

We didn't have guns, and didn't have a swimming pool because of how dangerous those things are to kids. One slip up, and you lose a kid. One moment where your vigilance slips, and you lose your greatest treasure - your little one.

Prayers for this family.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,714,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
can you recite the names of innocent kids killed daily in chicago? not the 15 year old gang bangers, just the kids sleeping in bed or on a playground.

What do the dead in chicago have to do with this shooting? all killing performed by carelessness.... intentional and unintentional.
These are two totally different scenarios and shouldn't even be compared. The situation in Chicago is caused by career criminals who get into a gang shooting and an innocent child gets shot accidentally.

The second scenario is caused by the child's parent being negligent and leaving a firearm for them to access. Many states have laws for this and the parent should be charged with a crime.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:40 AM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
So many guns and so many irresponsible gun owners. Firearms are now the number 1 cause of death in children surpassing motor vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies