Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 12:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times

Advertisements

FYI,

On this topic, on the ballot there was a initiative to increase homestead exemption for teachers.

Florida is losing teachers due to the rapid rise in real estate values over the last few years.

I would have voted this down, but they bundled teachers with police and other essential workers, so I voted for it, grudgingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2022, 01:00 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Why? Because the new teachers will not be trained in indoctrination? You are saying there is not indoctrination training anyway so what will be the difference?

Or are you admitting that there is indoctrination training?
I think the indoctrination meme is a political joke. And so do the thousands of teachers who left Florida to teach in other states. Florida is losing teachers at a very high rate which is probably welcome news to those who love the uneducated but employers in other states might not be very impressed.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:08 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So many teachers have left Florida, I'm guessing future Florida diplomas will be greeted with a smirk and an asterisk.
They have. My ex dil has a masters in teaching. They are not happy, but will they vote him out ? That’s on the test…

Old 11-08-2022, 01:13 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Maybe some but not all. Textbooks remain in some classrooms because they don't have the funds to give every child one, so they have to share. Nothing wrong with that. But don't think every school is that way.
Can confirm. Kids without an IEP leave textbooks at school. They have copies they can access on their chromebooks.

I have one kid who had an IEP and another in AP level. Level G thru AP dont get individual text books. B and RC have the option.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:15 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
They have. My ex dil has a masters in teaching. They are not happy, but will they vote him out ? That’s on the test…
We have friends that left Florida and this is one of many reasons:

Too many politicians treat public schools and the people who work in them as punching bags. When the profession is repeatedly attacked; when the contribution teachers make to students and communities goes unrecognized; when bureaucrats who’ve never spent a day in a classroom tell teachers how to do their job — then it becomes difficult to attract and retain dedicated and qualified education professionals.

https://feaweb.org/issues-action/tea...taff-shortage/

Old 11-08-2022, 01:22 PM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I know of no teacher who explicitly stood before her class and said, "Now, students, today we are going to learn about Critical Race Theory." So how do I know that it's being taught? Go back to the chart that the OP included and read the items that Florida defines as discriminatory. We've all heard plenty of stories about all of those concepts being taught. Oh, and I also hear things directly from the mouth of my son, a high-school junior in a public school. Granted, most of the stuff he says that they emphasize at his school involves gay rights and gender expression and pronouns. But he does mention some CRT-type themes that he says are discussed in school as well.

Now, would you be so kind as to answer the question I asked of you?
Conservative'ish district in NJ.

Any CRT here was low enough level I never heard about it. No "Overcoming whiteness" came home and my kis never mentioned it.

LGBTQJKKNULIEO%@! To a greater degree. One girl went trans Junior year of my son. I heard about how they were expected to call her a him now. Shrug. Most kids shrugged and did as asked. Did not hear too much about it. Kids know how to not get cancelled. Heard them talking about being proper and not using certain words. Most dont seem to want the drama.

CRT needs to have internal advocates and even the liberals in the school did not seem to push it. The most liberal one I know of was the art teacher. Her car had a bunch of peace, Dem candidate stickers but that is as far as it went. Her real passion was art and everything I heard about her was she stuck to art in her class room.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:25 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Yup turn them all into robots - but he won’t succeed as long as they have internet.
They can always learn it at home and/or private schools that teach it. Great to see it being banned in public schools.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:30 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Yup turn them all into robots - but he won’t succeed as long as they have internet.
how will not being indoctrinated with racist CRT propaganda turn them into 'robots,' and what does having internet have to do with anything?

what part of the following are you most despondent over losing?

Old 11-08-2022, 01:48 PM

31,061 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
ouch. talk about getting painted into a corner

if they think it's a merely a 'joke' or a 'meme,' why are they - according to you - leaving over it?

massive fail.
They base their claims and reverse them based on wait they think their party wants

Old 11-08-2022, 01:59 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Yep! I can attest to that. There were WAY too many "students" who did not deserve to be there. They had no interest in attending school, and were much more of a nuisance than anything. They were the one's starting fights, vaping in the bathroom, which would set off the fire alarm, and other general disruptions. I blame it on the "No Child Left Behind" Act...

One time, they destroyed an entire classroom (It was remedial math). They threw desks, chairs, and textbooks, which scuffed up the walls pretty good, and scared everyone who were in the surrounding classrooms. They were all arrested. And, no, I did not attend a bad school. Actually, the school is in a nice area. The problem people were the one's who were bused in from the poor areas...
We need to do away with the "No child left behind" stupidity. Taxpayers put in a LOT of money to educate this country's children. But those children have to have some minimal desire to want to learn and become something useful. And most DO. We need to help those children that want to, succeed. And part of that is getting the "problem" kids that are disrupting classrooms and harming the kids that want to learn, out of the schools. We need to make it a point of expanding expulsions to get rid of the ones that are doing the most harm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies