Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2022, 05:27 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So they are going to force people who never owned slaves to pay up so they can give that money to people who never were slaves ?

And then what ? Is this a 1 time payoff or are there more future installments because, you know, the hardship suffered knows no bounds.

I guess ..in Bizarro World nothing makes sense to me.
Your post could also apply to student loan “forgiveness “. Democrats give away hard earned tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2022, 05:41 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,369,703 times
This whole argument is so twisted and biased I'm not going to take the time .....

but ... I will say, Native Americans ended up being given 2% of the land in the US. A small part of what was promised but a lot more than what slaves were given.

And I am not saying any part of that was fair or what was done to either was justified.

I'll leave it at that.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:44 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Are you Native American?
Doesn't matter if they are and by the way everyone born here to citizen and legal immigrant parents are native Americans. We don't owe any of those alive today reparations for their dead ancestors. We weren't alive back then either. Our ancestors and their ancestors are all dead now and it's only a past that belongs to them and them only.

Old 11-26-2022, 05:45 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times
Vote buying

Old 11-26-2022, 06:06 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
The debt owed to Native Americans is too large so it can't be discussed or considered. Stanley Kansas today is a suburb in one of the riches counties in the country. Originally a treaty was signed to give the land to a Shawnee Chief. Today over 60,000 white people live there and the average cost of a home is over $400,000.

They did name a street after him though. Perhaps that's the reparations America has given to Native people. Same with Black people as long as they name some streets after MLK, maybe some statues, a month of acknowledgement ...debt paid in full.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:29 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Reparations for everyone then........for much of history, Humans have been nightmarish to their fellow Humans, many times on a large scale.

I want reparation for the families of those soldiers, ordered to fight and get mutilated or slaughtered, in the very last hours of WW1, with an armistice signed and soon to go into effect.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:33 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
So they are going to force people who never owned slaves to pay up so they can give that money to people who never were slaves ?

And then what ? Is this a 1 time payoff or are there more future installments because, you know, the hardship suffered knows no bounds.

I guess ..in Bizarro World nothing makes sense to me.
And should blacks who had BLACK slave owners also get money?

How do we find out who their owner was?

Old 11-26-2022, 06:38 AM

4,562 posts, read 4,103,050 times
I think a greater hypocrisy is elites talking about how much they care about freedom but we incarcerate more perceptual than any other country in the world.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...0-inhabitants/

Or we claim to care about life but are nowhere near the top on life expectancy or infant mortality.

These are far more systemic hypocrisies.

Old 11-26-2022, 06:52 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
And should blacks who had BLACK slave owners also get money?

How do we find out who their owner was?

Yes, because the federal government made owning black people legal. My family was owned by the Choctaw. If reparations are owed to me it's not from the Choctaw Trible but who ever gave them permission to own black people and allowed black people to be used to pay off debts with.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 11-26-2022 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-26-2022, 07:03 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'm against reparations but I sure don't base my politics, support of policy, and voting ballot on what a certain political party did almost 200 years ago.
The point that the OP is making is valid, especially coming from the party that is digging this up, yet was almost exclusively responsible for it. Additionally, all the anti-black laws in the southern states well after slavery were the doing of Democrats.

Heck, why not have Democrats and black race merchant groups demand the countries that bought them from black slave traders in Africa, pay the reparations, as America was not even a nation when those countries brought slaves to our shores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies