Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 06:32 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/most-...150000193.html

"Mike Rowe warned Monday that the labor force participation rate is the most "chilling" economic metric, citing millions of "able-bodied men" who are not working or looking for jobs."

I honestly don't understand this. The argument down political lines usually goes something like this:

Red: They are getting money from the government. Covid relief is still ongoing, and people would prefer that over working. Its crippling the country.
Blue: Corporations are not paying people what they are entitled to and thus people aren't working for these deplorable places anymore.

The comments under the article are pretty much all over the place, with many loons. Reminding of a forum I know and love :-)

So which is true? maybe a mixture of both? I just have a hard time believing that people won't work and think they can make more from the government. Which I haven't seen. My brother can't work (medical). He gets $800 a month. Even in good times it doesn't let him live all too comfortably at all. Nor should he. He has a 1 bedroom apt in the a "low rent" help area. Has to work with community support often to get meals on wheels, recycled clothing, etc.

I don't know any able bodied/minded males that won't work. I'm sure they are out there though.

Thoughts?
a) It's a mixture of the 2 - both are right.

b) When you lock people down, they get bored. When they get bored, they find ways to make money. A whole lot of people found much better ways to make money that don't require handouts, nor are they working for a company that doesn't care about them.

No one will listen, but that's what is going on.

THEY HAVE FOUND OTHER WAYS TO MAKE MONEY

That's what happens when you treat people like inmates and tell them that they can't go outside their homes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 11:37 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
He requested a raise without putting forth the effort to earn the raise. They made it contingent upon successfully completing leadership training (which everyone usually completes all three levels within their first 1.5 years of employment). He has been there for over three years.

There was no reason that he could not go full-time when he graduated high school. At this stage, he has been averaging about three credit hours a semester. That's one class per semester.

Unfortunately, this is the one wall that his mom and I have experienced in our marriage, at least until the end of summer. She makes excuses for him, but I do not. And because of that approach, my 22-year-old daughter has been working full-time and attending college full-time since she turned 18. Despite working at that same fast-food restaurant, she became his supervisor in less than nine months after her hire date. She has since moved on to a professional career and is making around 50k a year with full benefits while he is still a suckling child that prioritizes online games.

There is no upside to not teaching our offspring work ethic.

That said, my daughter will be the first to tell you that I am a fair Dad and that she cherishes that I enabled her to face her own consequences.
My own sons are a lot like your 22 year old daughter is. I can see how it would be difficult to be in the situation of watching a spouse enable lazy behavior in her young adult child.

It's good that you have given him a deadline for moving out. Some kids need to learn lessons the hard way and he might very well be one of those kids.

Old 12-08-2022, 03:46 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,141,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
Why are you not enrolled in an ACA plan? You should check on it. You could be eligible for a subsidy. I urge you to spend a few minutes online to see if it is more affordable than your current plan.
Because we shouldn't have to go to crap insurance after 43 years. We had insurance through the union for all these years and during layoffs we'd pay their HUGE COBRA bills for a month or so and then back to normal we'd go. BUT...... before making the decision to retire, we inquired about how the health insurance worked, were sent a letter telling us the dollar amount needed per month to retire and keep the insurance until Medicare age. No big deal. Sent them the check... they CASHED it... thought everything was good.

Then..... 12 hours before our first month of self-pay insurance we get a call.... "I'm sorry.... you don't have enough CONSECUTIVE months of employment to qualify for insurance". WHAT???? "You had a couple of layoff periods in 2020 (covid) and in 2021 (oil/gas career) so you didn't have 120 CONSECUTIVE months, you only had 99 months consecutive at any one time. Now mind you... this is a construction trade union... we've never had a single employer that he worked for that long. Construction by its very nature has a termination point. So....... now we are being told that we have to pay COBRA rates (1500.00 a month!) and can only have it for a year. We are appealing, but we probably know how that is going to go....

He really wanted to work till 65, got screwed by Biden.... now screwed by the union.... so we may end up having to go to private insurance though doubt we'll qualify for subsidy.......

Old 12-08-2022, 04:21 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
On the upside, he is going to graduate and he is working. So he is making progress.

If he's been offered leadership training that means that he must be doing a decent job at work. There is no reason he can't go FT after graduation and get himself a room to rent.
If he's 24, getting an AA after 7 years, lives with his parents, games all day, works part time fast food, and declines advancement, there is almost a 100% chance he is not going to progress.

But validates my assertion that for every able-bodied male that chooses not to work, there is someone that is willing to fund their lack of initiative.

Old 12-08-2022, 04:25 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,099,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
Men are simply not motivated to work. The reasons for this are complex, but to put it simply, they don't feel that the rewards are worth it anymore. I mean, who can blame them? Men today have no community, no access to productive activities, no opportunities for love and affection, no mentors, and no 'initiation rites.' So what are they doing instead? They are becoming neets, spending 12 hours a day in front of a screen.
/thread

Old 12-08-2022, 04:43 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,767,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Because we shouldn't have to go to crap insurance after 43 years. We had insurance through the union for all these years and during layoffs we'd pay their HUGE COBRA bills for a month or so and then back to normal we'd go. BUT...... before making the decision to retire, we inquired about how the health insurance worked, were sent a letter telling us the dollar amount needed per month to retire and keep the insurance until Medicare age. No big deal. Sent them the check... they CASHED it... thought everything was good.

Then..... 12 hours before our first month of self-pay insurance we get a call.... "I'm sorry.... you don't have enough CONSECUTIVE months of employment to qualify for insurance". WHAT???? "You had a couple of layoff periods in 2020 (covid) and in 2021 (oil/gas career) so you didn't have 120 CONSECUTIVE months, you only had 99 months consecutive at any one time. Now mind you... this is a construction trade union... we've never had a single employer that he worked for that long. Construction by its very nature has a termination point. So....... now we are being told that we have to pay COBRA rates (1500.00 a month!) and can only have it for a year. We are appealing, but we probably know how that is going to go....

He really wanted to work till 65, got screwed by Biden.... now screwed by the union.... so we may end up having to go to private insurance though doubt we'll qualify for subsidy.......
1500 per month is 18,000 dollars a year. First of all, you are assuming that ACA plans are crap insurance. Yes, the deductibles are high but you are already paying 18,000 dollars per year. Would you call a Blue cross/Blue shield plan "Crap"? Yes, they participate in the ACA marketplace. I am almost certain you could find an ACA plan that would cost you less than half of what you pay out of pocket right now. If you are retired without much income coming in there is a very good chance all you would have to worry about is the deductible- the premiums would be subsidized. If you don't want to do that due to political reasons; bless your heart.

Old 12-08-2022, 05:26 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
Can’t blame many. Too many crap jobs out there (with limited to no advancement) where the wage has not kept up with the ridiculous inflation. In many cases it’s not even worth going to work. And many employees that can’t retain or bring on a good workforce because they either too cheap or just a garbage place to work with terrible management

Old 12-08-2022, 06:05 AM

25,714 posts, read 12,786,330 times
2 words...gig economy.

That is what this is all about:

https://gop-waysandmeans.house.gov/b...g-requirement/

Old 12-08-2022, 06:42 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
25 is actually a pretty common age to be in grad school in a professional field- you work a couple years after undergrad in a corporate job, make the resume look pretty, and then go back to school full time for a MBA or JD or if you’re in the health sciences realm, med school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
In those kinds of professional programs with a good national ranking, it can make sense to take on a fair amount of student loan debt when the rewards after graduation can be quite high- $200k+ to start for many top level law firms, and because you put in so many hours in the first two or so years at Big Law, you won’t have all that much time to spend that salary and can throw it at loan debt instead.
It is awesome to hear things like this. Dedication and hard work really does pay off. Although, this is a level I would could never have attained. Kudos for those that can though.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:24 PM

17,362 posts, read 16,498,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If he's 24, getting an AA after 7 years, lives with his parents, games all day, works part time fast food, and declines advancement, there is almost a 100% chance he is not going to progress.

But validates my assertion that for every able-bodied male that chooses not to work, there is someone that is willing to fund their lack of initiative.
Sounds as though that particular 24 year old will be getting a hard dose of reality soon. Hopefully, he'll have the sense to prepare for his move. And, hopefully, his mother will let go and let her little fledgling attempt to fly. Better to do that now at 24 while he's still young and healthy. It won't get any easier for him than it is now.

Way too many misguided, enabling parents out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies