Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 09:33 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I am in complete 100% absolute agreement on that.
Fair enough. Although, I'm willing to bet there are some rights you wouldn't be willing to give up so easily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 09:33 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
See, that doesn't work here though. There's plenty of people who do things fully knowing they'll incur fines. They simply won't pay.

Punishment DOES have to be harsh for people to take laws seriously. Similar principles for raising kids.
Well, then, the punishment is not "sure" if they refuse to pay and there are no consequences.

You have to know you're going to take a hit to make "sure" work.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:36 AM

1,111 posts, read 748,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, then, the punishment is not "sure" if they refuse to pay and there are no consequences.

You have to know you're going to take a hit to make "sure" work.
And the only way to make "sure" work is by taking a literal "hit."

Old 12-07-2022, 09:40 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,804,194 times
Singapore laws here? How about we just tweak our laws to ensure that white collar rich criminals do the same time in the same jails as Joe average? No more country club jails and a slap on the wrist for the privileged.

One question, how do they handle repeat offenders in Singapore?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:44 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,402,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Fair enough. Although, I'm willing to bet there are some rights you wouldn't be willing to give up so easily.
That's the thing you pick your battles. None of this is happening anyway. But yeah I enjoyed my time in Singapore and the safety and over all cleanliness of the place. Even though I am gay and they are a little iffy for me in that area, I would move to Singapore over any liberal city in the USA. Of course assuming money wasn't an issue. I lived in Bangkok for awhile which is the polar opposite in some ways. Anything goes... I hated it. We had a job offer to go to Singapore but with the pay raise and the cost it didn't make sense.

I did however do more than a decade in Japan and loved how it worked there.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:46 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,605,245 times
Quote:
Sure, and everyone else is an angel, right?
Okay you convinced me, death penalty for everyone.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:51 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,713,357 times
Quote:
See, that doesn't work here though. There's plenty of people who do things fully knowing they'll incur fines. They simply won't pay.

Punishment DOES have to be harsh for people to take laws seriously. Similar principles for raising kids.
What happened to "Pay the fine or 30 days in jail"?

Old 12-07-2022, 09:58 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,903,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
We are a different population than Singapore people. We are a country descended from those who left all their possessions behind, and struck out on boats risking all for freedom and a chance at prosperity, risk be damned. And then once we got here, after a generation or two we struck out into the dangerous of the westward ho movement in conestoga wagons, leaving all their possessions behind, again, risk be damned. Being willing to take on the native peoples that populated the otherwise unpopulated prairies.

We are also descendants of those native tribes, who ruled the prairies as nomads.

Those ancestors of us who came more recently, ALSO left all their possessions behind, got on planes or travelled here on boats, or foot, risk be damned, for a chance at prosperity and freedom.

So no. We're not a people where all of us will stack nicely into tall condos, and refrain from spitting. And sit with our hands folded nicely in our laps.
We aren't that different.

Singapore is a nation of immigrants who left all their possessions behind generations ago - the majority of Singaporeans are ethnically Chinese, NOT Malay.
Singapore is also a British colony. Very few people lived there after the Portuguese burned the island down in the 1600s - the official reports from a decade after the English took over was less than 1000 people.
The Japanese massacarred between 5000 and 25000 ethnic Chinese in Singapore after they won the siege during WW2.

Singapore didn't become independent from the UK until 1965.

Singapore and the US has more similarities than differences.
We're both nations of immigrants to a former UK colony.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:12 AM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
That's the thing you pick your battles. None of this is happening anyway. But yeah I enjoyed my time in Singapore and the safety and over all cleanliness of the place. Even though I am gay and they are a little iffy for me in that area, I would move to Singapore over any liberal city in the USA. Of course assuming money wasn't an issue. I lived in Bangkok for awhile which is the polar opposite in some ways. Anything goes... I hated it. We had a job offer to go to Singapore but with the pay raise and the cost it didn't make sense.

I did however do more than a decade in Japan and loved how it worked there.
Fair enough. And the fact that you loved Japan, and their society , is telling. Not in a bad way or anything, you just have a completely different mindset, than I. I worked for a couple of Japanese owned companies, and got to know many individuals that were from there, and sat through multiple "cultural training" classes to try and acclimate us to the Japanese way of thinking and living. It certainly isn't for me, that is for sure.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:19 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
Quote:
Okay you can go turn your guns in to the nearest police at this point if you are okay with that.
True, in Singapore, civilian ownership of guns is 0.5 percent of the population - same as North Korea. Very few of those guns are pistols. Most are rifles associated with sport shooting (skeet or target). You have to belong to a gun or sport club who sponsors your application for a firearm ownership license. If you accept Singapore style laws, the gun control goes with it - you can't pick and choose just the things you like.

The police, customs officers and some private security carry pistols with 15 or 20 round clips. Singapore sits in the middle of a very busy shipping region with a massive port, so no doubt there are plenty of reasons they need to be armed.

Singapore also has an interesting law that says you can't drive north out of the country to Malaysia with less than 3/4 tank of fuel (gasoline or diesel) in the vehicle! This is to prevent people from taking a short drive north and filling up at far lower prices than what are charged at fuel stations in Singapore. So this is also included in the menu of restrictions. Be careful what you ask for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies