Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 11:12 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

While I'm not sure I'm ready for Singapore-style laws, what we do need here is sure and swift punishment for breaking the laws we already have. Coupled with that, we need to eliminate the shackles that are placed upon the law-abiding citizens. For example, if someone shoplifts, the shoppers and employees who witness it happen should be allowed to use whatever force is necessary to retrieve the stolen item(s), without fear of themselves facing legal action. Then the would-be thief needs to be punished, immediately, for his deed.

Someone mentioned parking fines. The fines should be quickly and rigorously enforced. Say you get a $50 parking ticket. You've got a week to pay it, in full. If you don't, some armed men show up and take your car away from you. You've got another week to pay for the fees associated with having your car impounded, plus the $50 parking ticket. If you don't pay, your car gets auctioned off and you learn to ride the bus. And no excuses about how this disproportionately affects the poor and downtrodden. Everyone, rich and poor alike, learns to park legally. And yes, there would still be courts where you could plead your case, if you thought that the fine was issued in error or if there were mitigating circumstances. You'd have a week to ask for a court date, or else you would be assumed to admitting guilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 11:15 AM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I can't rep you but always enjoy a little bit of debate with you. We disagree much of the time but I also see that you will actually try to see the other side of an argument if one makes any sense. That's rare around here.
Thanks, I try. I feel I can't argue, I mean debate something unless I understand both sides, or at least attempt to view the other side. Some things are easier than others though.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:15 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,641,455 times
Quote:
So you would give up your guns? Let's not forget that is a huge component of Singapore style laws. You also don't get to pick and choose which ones you like.
No giving up guns.

Only prevent people from breaking laws and punish them harshly when they do.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:16 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
I adjust to whatever is thrown at me. I went from places like Japan and now I am in rural WV. It was weird coming back 5 years ago when things slowly seemed to turn into a cesspool. The people here really have gone completely wacky. I don't mean WV but all of America. I haven't seen anything this dysfunctional in my life.
Yeah, I've noticed it too. What happened? Did the threat of COVID make everyone go bat-guano crazy? Did the George Floyd riots release everyone's inner anarchist? Society is unraveling before our very eyes. If things don't turn around soon, we're either going to get Singapore-style laws and enforcement, or we're going to get societal collapse and anarchy.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:20 AM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yeah, I've noticed it too. What happened? Did the threat of COVID make everyone go bat-guano crazy? Did the George Floyd riots release everyone's inner anarchist? Society is unraveling before our very eyes. If things don't turn around soon, we're either going to get Singapore-style laws and enforcement, or we're going to get societal collapse and anarchy.
I think it started when things fell apart in '08. Then one social issue after another just started fueling the fire, then Covid hit. It doesn't make sense how tribal we've become though. When 9/11 happened we all seemed to have bonded together.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:21 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
Quote:
The problem is that what you are saying is completely barbaric and medieval. Aside from that these people if they are released are going to come out worse. If we are going to completely disregard human rights and dignity why not just have only one punishment? All offenses are punished by death even for a first offense.

People seem to be u able to make the distinction between punishment and revenge at times.

Even places like Singapore although have harsh prison conditions, have to offer a way back into society when you are finished. I don't know the exact particulars but they don't let you out with no plan. You probably get assigned some meaningless job and some government cube to live in.

I believe most people are not stupid. A near death experience in jail will smarten up a lot of people quite quickly. They can use their inherent smarts to figure out what is right and wrong, how to integrate back into society. Let's not give criminals a chance to be lazy. They can do what is expected of them to be decent people. They don't need "rehabilitation" to do that if the threat of punishment is strong enough. You'd be amazed how quickly people can figure things out when they know the consequences of failure/recidivism is not an option.

And yes, i believe punishment SHOULD be completely barbaric in order to be a deterrent. The point is to get criminals OUT of society. IMHO they have NO rights nor dignity once they violate society. The ONLY way they get these things back is to survive a very harsh punishment and earn a chance to reintegrate.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:23 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,098 times
Quote:
Society has been unraveling since at least the 80s, what you're seeing is the push-back against increasing rent and declining wages. As material conditions decline it's going to get more violent.

COVID for instance isn't a cause of decline, it's a result of it. 40 years ago we had public health measures to fight pandemics, now the people in charge have no foresight and will happily pander to short-term political gains at the expense of health and stability.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 2,755,287 times
Quote:
The self-hating Democrats embracing marxism and the overall marxist take over of America is mostly to blame.

Defund the Police, I mean really?
Destruction of the nuclear family? CRT? BLM? Antifa? Gender transition of 7 year olds? The removal/vandalism of statues of Lincoln and Jefferson? People demanding other people recognize their preferred pronouns? Supreme Court Justice unable to define what a 'woman' is? Race based reparations?

It's the upside down Clown World.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:25 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,233 times
Quote:
A big deterrent in many Asian societies, and I am assuming others as well, but we are using Singapore as an example. Is to avoid at all costs bringing shame to your immediate family. You can't just go out and loot and come home with a flat screen and granny doesn't say anything. You can right all the laws you want but we lack a certain societal stigma as long as we are the ones with the flatscreen not the ones that got it stolen.

Entire families act as a whole to be crime syndicates.

Old 12-07-2022, 11:38 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,397,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
I believe most people are not stupid. A near death experience in jail will smarten up a lot of people quite quickly. They can use their inherent smarts to figure out what is right and wrong, how to integrate back into society. Let's not give criminals a chance to be lazy. They can do what is expected of them to be decent people. They don't need "rehabilitation" to do that if the threat of punishment is strong enough. You'd be amazed how quickly people can figure things out when they know the consequences of failure/recidivism is not an option.

And yes, i believe punishment SHOULD be completely barbaric in order to be a deterrent. The point is to get criminals OUT of society. IMHO they have NO rights nor dignity once they violate society. The ONLY way they get these things back is to survive a very harsh punishment and earn a chance to reintegrate.
The places with the harshest prison conditions are always hellholes outside the jail. Their must be some minimum standard of how any human being is treated. Somebody shouldn't be threatened with rape because they stole a car. Punishment should be harsh but proportionate. Otherwise you are running torture chambers.

Singapore has harsh prison conditions. In the regard that they are highly structured and time goes slow. There is no chance of dying. Very little violence from my understanding. The reason for this is the rules in prison are very strictly enforced. They don't allow inmates to act like henchmen on the inside.

If we go the way you want to do it, why don't I just shoot you? It is only about who has the bigger gun at that point. It remind me of the film the departed. Nicholson's character explains at that point when it comes to being a cop or a gangster, looking down the barrel of a loaded gun, what's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies