Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2022, 08:23 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

I'm not really for the Draconian style of criminal justice as is found in places like Singapore or in the Middle East but sometimes we really should let the punishment fit the crime. There are cases where a murderer admits it and the evidence confirms it yet that guy sits on Death Row for decades. Why?

We have all seen videos of shoplifting where people walk in, fill a basket and walk out. Why is this allowed? I don't think they should have their fingers or hands chopped off, this should be reserved for the Porch Pirates, but lets at least arrest them and force them to pay a fine , do community service or spend some time in jail.

Our society is falling apart and it is a direct result of the Lefts soft on crime approaches. Whatever happened to "You do the crime you do the time"? Today you do the crime and that is ok.. How dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 08:49 AM

27,571 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Yes, I would. Singapore has this right.

We need a harsh crackdown on lawlessness, crime, drug and alcohol abuse in the United States.

People need to be whipped into shape from the time they are children.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:52 AM

10,867 posts, read 4,540,181 times
I will say I like singapore style rice noodles....almost any chinese restaurant carries the dish

Old 12-07-2022, 08:53 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Yes, I would. Singapore has this right.

We need a harsh crackdown on lawlessness, crime, drug and alcohol abuse in the United States.

People need to be whipped into shape from the time they are children.
So you would give up your guns? Let's not forget that is a huge component of Singapore style laws. You also don't get to pick and choose which ones you like.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:53 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I am for cutting the fingers off of shoplifters on live TV for everyone to see.
I’m afraid the days of open shopping in crime ridden cities is going to come to an end. Then the criminals will push out to where law abiding people live and ruin that too.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:58 AM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Weird, my family behaves like that in public. It’s not that hard to be respectful and civil.

Old 12-07-2022, 08:58 AM

6,995 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I’m afraid the days of open shopping in crime ridden cities is going to come to an end. Then the criminals will push out to where law abiding people live and ruin that too.
I no longer shop in the stores other than for groceries. I do 100% of my other shopping online.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:05 AM

29,497 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
Okay you can go turn your guns in to the nearest police at this point if you are okay with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
So you would give up your guns? Let's not forget that is a huge component of Singapore style laws. You also don't get to pick and choose which ones you like.
I don't understand your reasoning here. Why when someone states they would be for harsher and stricter laws here you ask them to give up there legally (assumed) owned firearms ? It's almost like you equate legal firearms ownership to criminality. You do realize it is one of our Constitutional rights, don't you ?

Now, I will say, if our society were to be as safe as Singapore's is, I would no longer carry.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:10 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I don't understand your reasoning here. Why when someone states they would be for harsher and stricter laws here you ask them to give up there legally (assumed) owned firearms ? It's almost like you equate legal firearms ownership to criminality. You do realize it is one of our Constitutional rights, don't you ?

Now, I will say, if our society were to be as safe as Singapore's is, I would no longer carry.
To make it that safe guns are a no go. It's that simple. There is not a single society that safe that allows citizens to carry guns anywhere they want anytime they like. There is gun control in Singapore so not sure why you don't think that is a thing. The thread didn't say harsher laws it is Singapore style laws.

It would go something like this. Some government assumed control theoretically and now rule like Singapore. Yes it is never going to happen. Out comes the proclamation you have until the end of the day to turn all weapons in or we are going to beat you until your butt is hamburger imprison you and take them by any force necessary. Singapore doesn't have this good guy with a gun notion going on over there.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:12 AM

23,983 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm not really for the Draconian style of criminal justice as is found in places like Singapore or in the Middle East but sometimes we really should let the punishment fit the crime. There are cases where a murderer admits it and the evidence confirms it yet that guy sits on Death Row for decades. Why?

We have all seen videos of shoplifting where people walk in, fill a basket and walk out. Why is this allowed? I don't think they should have their fingers or hands chopped off, this should be reserved for the Porch Pirates, but lets at least arrest them and force them to pay a fine , do community service or spend some time in jail.

Our society is falling apart and it is a direct result of the Lefts soft on crime approaches. Whatever happened to "You do the crime you do the time"? Today you do the crime and that is ok.. How dumb.

Funny, while I agree with the soft on crime approach, I also think criminals know they will not be caught. IDK who started the idiot concept that poverty causes crime, but that's pure BS. How much crime was there in the depression? Some strange man was always knocking on my grannies never locked door looking to trade work for a meal. And he got it whether grandpa was home or not. She never feared. Nothing was ever stolen. Some believe crime is justified by any segment of the population whose ancestors were mistreated.

Another issue is the concept that individual freedom is the most important thing in the world. No consideration is ever given to the needs of the society as a whole. We cannot even accept GLBT as citizens with the same rights and duties as everyone else. What the government does and what people do in their churches and homes are 2 different things.

I'm for shunning those who behave badly. If those of us who want to live where we don't have to worry about the kind of gun we have to carry would just stop putting up with anti social behavior, some of it would stop. I'm talking everybody, corporations as well as citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies