Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2022, 02:19 PM

18,410 posts, read 19,061,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The real question is why were these posters made by children and hung in the halls of an elementary school? Focus.
The assignment which was outlined in the OP was to create a poster about safe spaces. Yes some 7 year olds read, most likely 4 letters give or take depending on the student. Doubtful any seven year old can read a ten letter word mich less have the comprehension to grasp it. This “outrage” is on the mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2022, 02:21 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Easy.

The NJ State Board of Education requires students be taught about gender, gender expression/identity and sexual orientation in Grades 3-5.

Research.
You really think kids in grades 3 through 5 should be learning about being pansexual and poly sexual?

Old 12-14-2022, 03:32 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
The assignment which was outlined in the OP was to create a poster about safe spaces. Yes some 7 year olds read, most likely 4 letters give or take depending on the student. Doubtful any seven year old can read a ten letter word mich less have the comprehension to grasp it. This “outrage” is on the mom.
If 7 years Olds can't read ten letter words, it's only because phonics has been removed from K and 1st grade. Second graders SHOULD be able to at least attempt to sound out long words. And they WOULD be able to if curricula focused on reading as it should, instead of gender crap.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
If 7 years Olds can't read ten letter words, it's only because phonics has been removed from K and 1st grade. Second graders SHOULD be able to at least attempt to sound out long words. And they WOULD be able to if curricula focused on reading as it should, instead of gender crap.
I completely agree kids should be encouraged to sound out and read longer words at an early age. That’s a different subject, this OP is about a poster assignment on safe spaces.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
The school goes through 5th grade meaning it was made by someone ten or under. Not appropriate

Old 12-14-2022, 03:44 PM

6,489 posts, read 6,699,232 times
Quote:
I completely agree kids should be encouraged to sound out and read longer words at an early age. That’s a different subject, this OP is about a poster assignment on safe spaces.
Much of what I posted is relevant. Another poster didn't believe that 7-year olds could even read a long word like "pansexual," hence claiming the story must be fake.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:49 PM

Quote:
The school goes through 5th grade meaning it was made by someone ten or under. Not appropriate
I read 6 th grade. Regardless should the kid that made the poster be censored, not allowed to participate because of how she interpreted the assignment of a safe space? That would also cause problems.

Old 12-14-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Yep. If only schools focused on actual education.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:02 PM

11,877 posts, read 5,851,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginwaterland View Post
So? Fourth thru six graders should not have any sex education at all by the school. That is the parent’s job. These are nine thru 11 (maybe 12 year olds).
First - why are you coming at me - I was just informing you that you hadn't read the article correctly - I've done that myself. As far as sex education - no the schools should not delve into that besides talking to girls about menstruation and boys about hormonal changes. My kids are late 30's now but it was their father and I that taught them about sex - not the schools.

Old 12-14-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Yep. If only schools focused on actual education.
Schools teach stranger danger so a poster assignment on spade spaces isn’t out of the norm. This kid could also have two moms or two dads and we’ll aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies