Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 02:33 PM

22,509 posts, read 12,055,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
This country didn't owe your ancestors a G-D thing either. We all came from someplace else.
Yes, but they came here in accordance with the laws at the time. They also knew that the US didn't owe them anything. There was no welfare so, for them and American citizens, it was either sink or swim. They also appreciated being allowed into the US. Thus, they went to night school to learn English and kept going until they were fluent. Then they because US citizens as soon as possible. They saw their son get sent off to fight in WWII.

As for my paternal grandparents, they were born under the Spanish flag and were granted US citizenship courtesy of the Jones Act. All their children were born as US citizens.

And you compare our ancestors to the current crop of illegal aliens and phony asylees? SMH. Wow...just...wow.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:33 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Quote:
How do you know they're bogus asylum seekers. Do you know them personally? That's still no excuse to treat them like cattle, especially in the middle of the winter. I'm always amazed at the lack of humanity that some people exhibit.
They treat us like we are an ATM. Difference? Nope.

By DEFINITION of asylum they should have halted in the first Country they encountered. That would have been one of the Spanish speaking Countries and one of them IS NOT the USA.

They are asylum shopping.

Old 12-26-2022, 02:46 PM

63,061 posts, read 29,256,181 times
This wasn't the first time that migrants were dropped off at Kamala's home.

Even thousands of miles away at the United States’ southern border, officials warned of frigid temperatures but these migrants didn't listen!

U.S. Customs and Border Protection ahead of the extreme temperatures urged migrants to not try and cross the border but they didn't listen!

“Do not risk your life and that of your loved ones trying to cross the river or the desert,” Hugo Carmona, acting associate chief of US Border Patrol Operations, said in a video statement. “Help avoid human death and tragedy. Stay home or remain in a safe shelter.” But they didn't listen and we are to feel sorry that they got bussed to Kamala's home in frigid weather?

The desert gets real cold at night and yet they crossed much of it in other countries for thousands of miles to get here? This whole supposed cruel treatment of them claimed by the pro-illegals/migrants falls pretty flat then, doesn't it?

Old 12-26-2022, 03:43 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,963,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
Trump said that he’d build a wall and make Mexico pay for it.

He didn’t follow through.

Biden shares some responsibility, but so do Trump, Obama, every other president since the 1960s (when the borders were opened), Congress and employers of illegal immigrants. But for this particular incident, whoever ordered them to be shipped to Washington is responsible.

The Bible says to love the foreigner as though he or she were a native. That does NOT mean having an open border or loose immigration policies. But it does mean that we need to treat people who are already here with decency.

It is cruel to send people to a cold city during an Arctic blast.

If I were the governor of Texas, I’d either house them in Texas and bill the Federal government or find shelters for them around the US and offer them free transportation (and then bill the Federal government).

I wouldn’t drop them off at Kamala Harris’s doorstep; that’s a political stunt. No human being deserves to be a prop in a political stunt, and doing that harms the immigration reduction movement (which I am part of) by making proponents of lower immigration appear to be heartless.
Anyone who is transported on a bus agreed to it. Texas is cold, too. There are homeless people here who are unable to get space in a shelter. Texas is FULL and getting more so with every "migrant" entering in record numbers. Are you expecting Texans to ignore their own citizens to provide for migrants? Kamala Harris is the border czar but has never gone to the border to see the results of the lamebrained policies of her administration. Time for her to see first hand the chaos it has created.

And finally, no one is preventing the "migrants" from going wherever they wish now they are in our country.

Old 12-26-2022, 03:59 PM

6,812 posts, read 6,963,881 times
Quote:
And you've talked to 80% of these people? Our own citizens aren't dropped off in the freezing cold by our government. So yeah, cattle.
No, our homeless citizens are left to freeze on the street while our government puts up the immigrants in hotels and shelters. Seems you have very little sympathy for our own citizens.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:34 PM

11,079 posts, read 6,021,747 times
Quote:

I wouldn’t drop them off at Kamala Harris’s doorstep; that’s a political stunt. No human being deserves to be a prop in a political stunt, and doing that harms the immigration reduction movement (which I am part of) by making proponents of lower immigration appear to be heartless.
Sure it's a political stunt but cruel? No, not at all. President harris has openly welcomed them. Heck, she is the one letting thim in - actually, inviting them in. Plus, she has plenty of room for them in her home. They have been done a favour - they get to share her warmth and comfort.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:55 PM

26,017 posts, read 22,209,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
No one said it was "illegal". However, if these people were truly in need of asylum, they would have asked for it in Mexico. Mexico offers these so-called "migrants" asylum. The UN even declared Mexico a safe country for asylees. Yet so very few take Mexico up on their offer. We all know why. The US gives better freebies.
https://help.unhcr.org/mexico/en/com...0download%20it.

"COMAR will ask you to fill out a form explaining why you left your country. If your family is with you, don’t forget to include them in the application. If they are in your country of origin, you must provide that information."

"When you apply for protection as a refugee, you have the right to not be sent back to your country. With the Certificate, you can also apply for a Visitor Card for Humanitarian Reasons (TVRH) through the INM, which allows you to work while the application is being processed."

"You are entitled to have a lawyer throughout the process. Contact UNHCR so we can assist you by recommending you one that will help you free of charge."

WORK? Well, I think I just figured out why they seek protection in Mexico! They have heard that everything is free here, so WORK! Ah, no interest. Geesh, we have Americans that go to Mexico to work. My husband knew 2 guys that went there to work on flight simulators for the company they were working for in the US, and loved it there.

So, this is something to keep in mind in case the US becomes unbearable.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:57 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,136,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Sure it's a political stunt but cruel? No, not at all. President harris has openly welcomed them. Heck, she is the one letting thim in - actually, inviting them in. Plus, she has plenty of room for them in her home. They have been done a favour - they get to share her warmth and comfort.
Kindness would be taking them directly to a shelter or handing them over to a church or other nonprofit for help, and ensuring that they had sufficient clothing and shelter to be warm. (That doesn’t mean “help then escape deportation”; as I’ve said over and over, people who are in the US illegally should be deported and immigration laws should be consistently enforced.)

That wasn’t done.

Would you want to be treated as they were treated?

And the response of “I wouldn’t break the law in coming here illegally” isn’t relevant. Everyone has broken a law at some point, from speeding to drinking while underage to taking an employer’s office supplies home to a range of other things. If we want to be treated with kindness when we fall short in how we behave- and we all do- then we need to treat others with kindness.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:23 PM

1,719 posts, read 735,943 times
Quote:
Kindness would be taking them directly to a shelter or handing them over to a church or other nonprofit for help, and ensuring that they had sufficient clothing and shelter to be warm. (That doesn’t mean “help then escape deportation”; as I’ve said over and over, people who are in the US illegally should be deported and immigration laws should be consistently enforced.)

That wasn’t done.

Would you want to be treated as they were treated?

And the response of “I wouldn’t break the law in coming here illegally” isn’t relevant. Everyone has broken a law at some point, from speeding to drinking while underage to taking an employer’s office supplies home to a range of other things. If we want to be treated with kindness when we fall short in how we behave- and we all do- then we need to treat others with kindness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentonite View Post
How were these people treated "like cattle?" They were admitted to the U.S., put on warm, comfortable buses, brought to a sanctuary city that wants them, and immediately transported to shelter and given food and other comforts by caring Americans.

How could this situation have been made better?
Are you upset these people rode on buses instead of planes and are in simple accommodations instead of expensive hotels? I think they hit the jackpot!
But they WERE treated with kindness. All the things you mention in your first sentence WERE done. I keep repeating this fact, and you keep ignoring it. Do you not understand or believe this? Watch videos and read news about this situation if you don't believe me.

Old 12-26-2022, 05:25 PM

50,479 posts, read 47,229,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
No, our homeless citizens are left to freeze on the street while our government puts up the immigrants in hotels and shelters. Seems you have very little sympathy for our own citizens.
Tribalism. Race before Country. It's happening more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies