Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2023, 10:15 AM

50,809 posts, read 36,501,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Whether you want to admit it or not your comments have equated to an opinion just as they have above. There are no excuses to hire illegal labor, none, nada, zilch! If a business can't survive without breaking the law then they need to close their business. There is no excuse when there are unlimited visas for legal farm workers no matter how you want to spin it! There is no complex issue here. Our laws aren't black and white either.

Publicity stunt? Is that what you call it when a politician wants to implement e-verify to keep the business owners honest and to help deter illegal immigration by removing the job incentives?
Yes, it's a publicity stunt. "Brave DeSantis, he is going after 8 businesses!" They aren't going after the people they get their donations from. This is just pre-presidential run stunt. If it wasn't, they would just do it and not put out press releases about it. Lots of businesses get dinged for breaking labor laws, overtime laws, all kinds of laws, but they aren't usually national news. This is because they know it gets you guys motor running.

I don't think anything is black and white. We are back where we started from. I talked about the California farmers already. If it was so easy to get unlimited farm worker visas, why wouldn't they have done it?

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-19-2023 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Oh, the stupid things these pro-illegals say to justify breaking our immigration laws, don't they? There is no justification for it no matter what claims they make! They just never get it no matter what. Only people without a moral compass would justify violating our immigration laws. I wonder what other laws they justify breaking?

I guess those on the H-2A visas to work on the farms are lazy, unproductive workers? Illegals have some kind of magical work ethic compared to them?
What is it with you guys and labels. "America haters", "pro-illegals". It is just silliness. I just recognize that problems are nuanced. I am not "pro-illegal". I'm just not enmeshed in emotion over issues for which emotion shouldn't play a part. I also think the border is a mess, Biden has done a poor job on the border, and some of the Trump border policies like Remain in Mexico and having Mexican army at borders in Central America should be put back in place. This doesn't change the fact that it's a nuanced issue.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-19-2023 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-19-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Atlantic County does produce a lot of blueberries. Using illegal cheap labor however is the wrong path. There are other options;

https://www.futurefarming.com/tech-i...t-blueberries/

https://blueberriesconsulting.com/en...-de-arandanos/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1TMec-KyBzE

By the way. As another poster already alluded to; the cost of blueberries would not go up. Why? The prices in the marketplace are reflected upon what the market will bear. Cheap labor merely provides increased profits for business owners, NOT we the consumer.
I disagree with that. They would just go under, and we would import all our blueberries.

I don't even know if they use illegals, btw. My only point is that there may be unintended consequences. But you guys are so emotional about it you can't even comprehend that most issues are multi-layered.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:26 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, it's a publicity stunt. I think they said it's 8 businesses they are going after. They aren't going after the people they get their donations from. This is just pre-presidential run stunt.

I don't think anything is black and white. We are back where we started from. I talked about the California farmers already. If it was so easy to get unlimited farm worker visas, why wouldn't they have done it?
I already told you why! It's because they pay their illegal workers less and don't have to house them, etc.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:29 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
What is it with you guys and labels. "America haters", "pro-illegals". It is just silliness. I just recognize that problems are nuanced. I am not "pro-illegal". I'm just not enmeshed in emotion over issues for which emotion shouldn't play a part.
Wrong, you lefty liberals are all about emotion rather than common sense and logic. Emotion overrules our laws with you. If one doesn't have an issue with illegal immigration and wants amnesty for them then yes they are pro-illegal. Don't even get me started on the nasty labels that you and yours put on law abiding conservatives.

Here's an informative link of whom works mostly in the AG business. Hint, it's not illegal Latinos.

https://www.zippia.com/agriculture-w.../demographics/

Old 01-19-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Wrong, you lefty liberals are all about emotion rather than common sense and logic. Emotion overrules our laws with you. If one doesn't have an issue with illegal immigration and wants amnesty for them then yes they are pro-illegal. Don't even get me started on the nasty labels that you and yours put on law abiding conservatives.
I'm not a lefty at all. Registered Independent. I haven't been the slightest bit emotional in any of my posts here. it is you using caps and calling names.

You can't possibly believe all conservatives are law abiding, and all liberals are not? If so, there is no point in discussing anything, because that is not a rational perspective at all.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:48 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, they're not employed by the farms anyway. They can go after employer but it's ABC Illegals Field Co and not the farm. If they shutdown ABC Illegals Field Co, Border Hops Fieldworkers just starts up the farm pays Border Hops instead of ABC. If they were really interested they could probably make it tedious enough. It's really more about restricting the desired illegals to certain sectors of the economy so they won't try too hard. It's a bit of a moving target. Restaurant dishwashers, hotel maids, golf course groundskeepers, laborers on construction sites. There's a lot of $200/night Hiltons in Florida with a lot of illegals to keep the runs turning over.
yep, that's exactly how it works!

Old 01-19-2023, 10:59 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
ALL social services should be cut off to illegals and they will "self deport". If they resort to crime to survive, that will just put a target on their backs for easier deportation.
What social services are they entitled to?

Old 01-19-2023, 11:18 AM

4,393 posts, read 1,701,158 times
Has he suspended all the businesses that don't use e-verify yet? Or is this just a bunch of hot air, with two businesses being suspended? While I certainly don't have any problem at all with this law, I'll believe it when I see it. There's no way DeSantis goes after his own voters like that.

Old 01-19-2023, 11:32 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
I disagree with that. They would just go under, and we would import all our blueberries.

I don't even know if they use illegals, btw. My only point is that there may be unintended consequences. But you guys are so emotional about it you can't even comprehend that most issues are multi-layered.
They would go under if we didn’t use illegals and you don’t know if they use illegals. You lost me.

Providing you proof with links is emotional? Lost me again.

Your right that this issue is multi layered. I just laid it out for you that we have options with labor related to blue berries(and I didn’t even mention the H2A program). I also explained one major aspect of supply and demand economics. You can only charge what the market will bear. Everything in this country is expensive, does that mean we should use illegals for everything as well, or it will be shipped overseas?

Or maybe I’m wrong and blue berries are of critical national security value and use of legal labor must be waived. Not that it’s even required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies