Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 05:18 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,710,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't know that "middle income earners" across the country do afford these services at the rate that Texans do.

I know for a fact that in Maine, it's much less common to have crews do your lawn mowing and house painting. They do it themselves. And the illegal population in Maine is very low.

How do I know these workers are illegals? I'm not dumb. And also, they're skinny. When you see a bunch of young skinny Mexican descent men talking to each other in Spanish and playing Mexican music on a landscaping crew, they're illegals.

You can't be seriously be trying to make this connection that if they are skinny, listen to Mexican Music and speak Spanish that they are illegals.

I don't even know where to go with this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 05:24 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Quite the deflection as you have also have no proof.

Quite the assumption…and you assume, I don’t.

DeSantis is smart and doing the right things.

There’s 6 businesses not in compliance, if you know of more you’re free to report them.
So I've lived in the southeast for 25 years and it is obvious when you live here that many turn the other way with illegal immigration. And that is conservative, Republicans too.

It is naive to think it is only Democrats who hire illegals and who take advantage of the system.

In 2019 it was discovered that Mar a LAgo was quietly trying to get rid of all their illegals.

There were six -- one of the companies has been declared in compliance. We don't know yet if the other 5. So somebody reported these six and that's that.

They will not audit every hotel, motel and restaurant.....

Old 01-16-2023, 05:29 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So I've lived in the southeast for 25 years and it is obvious when you live here that many turn the other way with illegal immigration. And that is conservative, Republicans too.

It is naive to think it is only Democrats who hire illegals and who take advantage of the system.

In 2019 it was discovered that Mar a LAgo was quietly trying to get rid of all their illegals.

There were six -- one of the companies has been declared in compliance. We don't know yet if the other 5. So somebody reported these six and that's that.

They will not audit every hotel, motel and restaurant.....
If what you claim is true, have you reported them and followed up on it, or continue to assume?

Except you brought up Republicans and couldn’t give proof to what Republican businesses are doing it, but please do tell?

So 3 years ago. Proof that it’s happening today?

Great, so 5. If there’s more why weren’t they reported?

It’s funny how you’re trying to nitpick, when DeSantis is looking to do something about it, while making another assumption. Let me know when you have proof to that?

Old 01-16-2023, 05:39 PM

18,449 posts, read 8,275,501 times
DeSantis is just enforcing the law that's on the books...

8 companies...that are required by law to verify....have not completed their paperwork agreeing to verify

It has nothing to do with landscapers, painters, construction, or maids...has nothing to do with that

8 companies that provide services to the state of Florida...that's why

here's the list of 8 companies > https://www.floridajobs.org/e-verify...liance-letters

Old 01-16-2023, 05:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
DeSantis is just enforcing the law that's on the books...

8 companies...that are required by law to verify....have not completed their paperwork agreeing to verify

It has nothing to do with landscapers, painters, construction, or maids...has nothing to do with that

8 companies that provide services to the state of Florida...that's why

here's the list of 8 companies > https://www.floridajobs.org/e-verify...liance-letters
Bingo…and what really cracks me up is many of the same folks questioning what he’s doing are many of the same folks that want the borders to be open while millions have crossed illegally. Close the border and there’s less chance of it happening to begin with. Instead is because Trump/muh DeSantis.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:20 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
The law in 2019 is only for businesses that are vendors or contractors to the State of Florida government - mainly vendors and contractors that sell products or service to state government. Regular businesses(that don't sell stuff to the state) don't have to use E-Verify in Florida. I guess the exemption is for state contractors and vendors that are either agriculture or fewer than 10 employees.

No wonder the number of companies that are non-compliant are in the single digits. Hardly any companies in Florida meet the E-Verify requirement criteria. It's all smoke and mirrors to make it seem like E-Verify is being used in Florida. It is, for fewer than 5% of businesses in the state.
You must have different info from what's available online, including at the FL Dept of Law Enforcement

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/EVERIFY

Quote:
Effective January 1, 2021, Florida law requires private employers to verify a person's eligibility for employment after the acceptance of an offer of employment. Employee eligibility verification must be completed using either (1) the E-Verify system administered by the Social Security Administration and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or (2) by requiring the person to provide the same documentation required by the USCIS on its Employment Eligibility Verification form (Form I-9).
so yes, I suppose it doesn't require the additional step of e-Verify. But it does say they must provide I-9's, which an illegal hired under the table wouldn't fill out.

This is why they (ICE) did raids - everybody knows you've got 200 employees, but by e-Verify and I-9's combined you only show 100. Or, somebody in the government actually takes the time to cross-check them against the SS# system and sees they are fake numbers, numbers of deceased people, numbers of an 85 tr old retiree half the country away ...

I believe this article, from an anti-illegal immigration site, provides some good context and info, even if it's from before the bill became law

https://www.fairus.org/legislation/s...erely-weakened

Old 01-16-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
First link is behind a paywall.

As to the 2nd link, gasp at 87 foreign workers being hired who aren’t here illegally.

As to the 3rd article, proof that because Trump knew they were being hired?

As to Melania:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...work/93321114/

But do keep trying to fit that narrative, and trying to do so from 25+ years ago, lol…as you still haven’t provided proof to muh DeSantis friends or at Mar-A-Lago of illegals working there.
oh, no they were all here legally. Trump Inc was applying for temporary work visas for the busier winter season.

Old 01-16-2023, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Let's see if he follows up on this.

Many Republican business owners don't bother with e-verify in red states.

So let's see if he follows through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
He won't actually follow through or enforce it. Just a stunt. It would absolutely eliminate the entire crop ag industry. All those tomato field (etc)? No one to work them would be left.
2 more that don't read.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,756,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is just stunts because he’s thinking of running. I guarantee no one is going after their rich friends Nannie’s or landscapers, or places like Mar a Lago.
Yep. Business owners would drop him like a hot potato

Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Why didn't he just apply the law that has been in place for the last 4 years. Why make a big thing of it now....it's a dog and pony show.

They will rely on people 'reporting' and they will 'investigate' only the people they think are left leaning.

You know it and I know it.

And yes I believe a Democrat Governor would play the same games...I'm not blinded by any allegiance to a political party.

DeSantis is smart...and he's saying all the right things.
what law in place for 4 years?

As I've attached more than once, the law went into effect Jan 1, 2021. We just hit the 2 year mark. Have these 5 or 6 businesses been out of compliance since then? Or just they are due for a report, missed the deadline, the letter gives them a drop dead line, and here we are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies