Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2023, 07:09 AM

8,050 posts, read 10,642,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Has there ever been a time in history when people didn`t predict doom and gloom?
School children were hiding under their desks when I was a child.
Yeah you're right it's not any worse at all now. It's just like it was in the1950's. It's just seems worse now because we hear about the bad things more now due to the internet and everything.

Nothings changed. Everything's fine. People need to quit worrying so much.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Old 03-25-2023, 07:35 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Yeah you're right it's not any worse at all now. It's just like it was in the1950's. It's just seems worse now because we hear about the bad things more now due to the internet and everything.

Nothings changed. Everything's fine. People need to quit worrying so much.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

You're being sarcastic right? I can't tell

Old 03-25-2023, 08:26 AM

27,578 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The Dust Bowl was caused mostly by very poor agricultural practices in combination with above average temperatures. The climate overall is much warmer now than the 1930s. Better agricultural practices and low and no till agriculture have improved things, but can't fix the big problem with warmer overall temperatures that mean greater evaporation of soil moisture out of the ground.
If liberals were actually serious about global warming, then they would go after China. They emit the most greenhouse gases of any country and are increasing them significantly over time.

Instead, the liberals target the United States, which has been decreasing greenhouse gases for nearly 2 decades.

That's why this whole issue is agenda-driven and completely dubious.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:30 AM

2,899 posts, read 1,871,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If liberals were actually serious about global warming, then they would go after China. They emit the most greenhouse gases of any country and are increasing them significantly over time.

Instead, the liberals target the United States, which has been decreasing greenhouse gases for nearly 2 decades.

You might enjoy this video. It starts for a moment or 2 criticizing woke ism, then transitions to the reality of climate change in a way that makes people in the oxford union gasp and get uncomfortable

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zJdqJu-6ZPo

Old 03-25-2023, 09:13 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
The sky is falling. The sky is falling. Let me guess only Trump can save us????

Old 03-25-2023, 11:46 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:

I am a liberal and I know many liberals like me who would LOVE to see the world do better in terms of protecting the environment for all sorts of obvious reasons. China, India, all of the modern industrial world before it's a little too little too late. Most certainly the United States too, for another whole host of rather obvious reasons. To believe the whole issue is agenda-driven and completely dubious is mind boggling to me. Where does that sort of thinking come from I wonder. I have a theory or two about that...

Needless to say, there is huge money behind whatever direction taken. Massive amounts of money involved in both doing better with the environment or continuing to trash it. This DOES NOT MEAN either agenda is equal or worthy. Here's hoping greater minds will prevail, and before I leave it at that, here's a personal story for you to consider before you continue to throw all progress along these lines under the anti-liberal bus you seem so wanting to drive as if the status quo has been working so well for us.

I used to work in headquarters for a large Fortune 100 energy company, and I very well remember when the first efforts to promote/require cleaner burning fuels appeared on the scene. You would have thought the idea was nothing but radical "agenda-driven and completely dubious" environmentalism far as the energy companies were concerned. Including mine! More money was thrown at preventing or watering down that encroachment by government than most people know.

Fast forward, it wasn't too long before the requirements forced on energy companies to "clean up their act" by the EPA went into effect and the air improved significantly. Having grown up in the L.A. basin where the air was so bad my lungs would strain from breathing and my eyes would actually water from the stinging on the worst smog days. Fortunately, those days are no more.

Progress, but still so much progress is necessary, and if anyone believes there isn't a whole lot of money and agenda-driven people who could care less about the environment or the next generation while they "get theirs," they are very sadly mistaken.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:54 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I am a liberal and I know many liberals like me who would LOVE to see the world do better in terms of protecting the environment for all sorts of obvious reasons. China, India, all of the modern industrial world before it's a little too little too late. Most certainly the United States too, for another whole host of rather obvious reasons. To believe the whole issue is agenda-driven and completely dubious is mind boggling to me. Where does that sort of thinking come from I wonder. I have a theory or two about that...

Needless to say, there is huge money behind whatever direction taken. Massive amounts of money involved in both doing better with the environment or continuing to trash it. This DOES NOT MEAN either agenda is equal or worthy. Here's hoping greater minds will prevail, and before I leave it at that, here's a personal story for you to consider before you continue to throw all progress along these lines under the anti-liberal bus you seem so wanting to drive as if the status quo has been working so well for us.

I used to work in headquarters for a large Fortune 100 energy company, and I very well remember when the first efforts to promote/require cleaner burning fuels appeared on the scene. You would have thought the idea was nothing but radical "agenda-driven and completely dubious" environmentalism far as the energy companies were concerned. Including mine! More money was thrown at preventing or watering down that encroachment by government than most people know.

Fast forward, it wasn't too long before the requirements forced on energy companies to "clean up their act" by the EPA went into effect and the air improved significantly. Having grown up in the L.A. basin where the air was so bad my lungs would strain from breathing and my eyes would actually water from the stinging on the worst smog days. Fortunately, those days are no more.

Progress, but still so much progress is necessary, and if anyone believes there isn't a whole lot of money and agenda-driven people who could care less about the environment or the next generation while they "get theirs," they are very sadly mistaken.
The Earth spins and that means that we are constantly going into different air pockets meaning that any pollution coming from any country is circling the earth as we turn. Why anyone ever thinks that China is not polluting us is crazy.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:25 PM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
And that’s why leaders, especially those who are the POTUS, should be careful about how they say anything. There is no telling how the words will be heard.

This site is no different. How many of us scan or miss words?

Old 03-25-2023, 03:36 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,617,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Gentrification is going on being blessed by the GOP governor and council members etc. appeasing all developers and investors crowding our state with the wealthy.
I never have understood what the problem is with gentrification. Maybe we're defining it differently, though. To me, at it's essence, it simply means an overall improvement in a neighborhood or other defined area, where the slumlords move out, good landlords move in, crime goes down, property values go up, and all in all it's a good thing.

The streets and yard get cleaner and more well kept, depending on how bad it may have been before, it becomes safe to walk down the streets, even at night, and so forth.

What's the problem?

Old 03-26-2023, 01:59 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:

You don't seem to understand that China has already overtaken the US on the solar front, so the CCP can do whatever it wants to regarding manufacturing, implementation, and transition away from coal. The question is not a matter of if, but when. Coal is going the way of whale oil and buggy whips around the world due to technology reducing the price of the competing sources to generate electricity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies