Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 09:17 AM

9,015 posts, read 4,711,022 times

Advertisements

Getting a little closer to the original topic, several banks are showing weakness, although I haven't heard of any collapsing in the past couple of days.

Oil dropped below $70 a barrel, reducing its contribution to inflation, but signalling more of the recession that we are in, and that lays ahead.

The inversion curve of the bond market has changed, with 5 yr treasuries having the lowest interest rates. To me, this means the next 15 months (on quarter of the maturity time) will be a downhill slide.

Just food for thought.
Bring that and a dollar, to get a cup of regular coffee.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:20 AM

2,047 posts, read 862,697 times
It’s even worse than I thought. Shipping has basically come to a complete standstill. Even durable goods have decreased drastically. And this is just over from last week. The storm is literally about to hit. It’s gonna be an UGLY 2023! Get ready to buckle down folks, it’s really happening

Old 03-24-2023, 10:27 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
It’s even worse than I thought. Shipping has basically come to a complete standstill. Even durable goods have decreased drastically. And this is just over from last week. The storm is literally about to hit. It’s gonna be an UGLY 2023! Get ready to buckle down folks, it’s really happening
????? Any links to these events?

Having said that -- the only way prices are going to come down is when people stop spending.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:28 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,746,079 times
Quote:
They may be able to push it out indefinitely. Just look at Japan - stagflation for decades now

But I think there will be some major breakage in the system, and it needs to happen. The Federal Reserve system needs to be obliterated

The source of inequality isn't legacy racism, anti-gayness, misogyny, etc - it's the monetary system. They lend your money and take a cut infinite amounts of times, and you get stuck with the bill

Old 03-24-2023, 10:38 AM

13,652 posts, read 4,962,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Bush 1 stopped short and never did finish the bob job. Should taken over the country and killed saddam back in 1991 and war 2 would have never had to happen.
War 2 never had to happen. Iraq and Saddam were never any kind of threat to the US.

Old 03-24-2023, 11:04 AM

33,589 posts, read 18,208,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I don't know anything about a God my man. No one knows where we go when we kick it. Love to die sly and come back and tell everything what goes down when we do bite the bullet.
It's all by intelligent design .Anyone that doesn't believe there's a God there's something wrong with them. It didn't just all happen . we did not get here on our own. Everything is way too intricate and science is the study of God's creation. Man gives big swelling words to what they find out and later on find out they were wrong all along. God knows from beginning to end what is going to happen.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:09 PM

9,015 posts, read 4,711,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Having said that -- the only way prices are going to come down is when people stop spending.
I am not certain if he or she is allowed to post links (proprietary information). I attempted to find some indexes but the ones I found are behind pay walls.

Here is some insight:
https://seekingalpha.com/article/458...d-coverage-buy
Article is interesting, but the real intel marker is the little chart in the upper right corner.

Click on the 6M above the graph, and the graph will give a glimpse of the shipping market for the past 6 months, from the point of view that, when shipping does well, their stock price will do well.

As you can see, it doesn't drop to zero, but remembering that most stocks are "leveraged" the drop represents about 40% of the value people place on that stock. My guess is the investors are expecting a dividend, this quarter.

Diesel Fuel prices are also down:
https://markets.businessinsider.com/...price/usd?op=1

Last edited by TRex2; 03-24-2023 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-24-2023, 12:24 PM

89,194 posts, read 44,965,842 times
Quote:
You know it's bad when even Walmart has to start laying off workers at their fulfillment centers. Low-price Walmart.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:29 PM

63,022 posts, read 29,235,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Who said that illegal immigrants should be allowed to stay? Not me (except for the Dreamers, who are here through no fault of their own). In my opinion:

The dreamers should be allowed to stay.
Asylum seekers should wait in Mexico while their asylum claims are being processed.
People caught trying to cross the border should be turned back.
Hiring of undocumented immigrants should be illegal.
People living in the US who are accused of being here illegally are entitled to due process.

Guess what? All of the above are the current status quo. What I would change:

Dreamers given a path to citizenship
E-verify for employers be mandatory
Expanded work visa programs to allow foreigners to come here and work temporarily
Yet you have claimed that we need these illegals here to work jobs. Seems like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Why should the so-called Dreamers benefit from their parent's law breaking? It also rewards the parents for bringing them here illegally. It sets a precidence that all you have to do is sneak your kids across our border and they are home free.

You say you want these illegals deported? Does that include the Dreamer's parents? Isn't that a separation of families that the left keeps wailing about? Why would the Dreamers want to remain here while their parents are deported? I thought their ethnic group were all about family values.

Hiring of illegal aliens (no such thing as an undocumented immigrant) is already illegal. You didn't know that?

We don't need expanded work visas for the poor, unskilled and uneducated which is what these illegals are and the ones who still want to come to our country. We already have unlimited, temporary visas for farm workers but the farmers have to take care of their needs not the taxpayer. Are you proposing that also with more temporary work visas for other jobs? That ain't gonna fly with the employers who merely want cheap labor to do minimum waged jobs.

Old 03-24-2023, 12:46 PM

2,047 posts, read 862,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post

It isn’t yet A, “link kind of thing”. I’m a national freight and shipping coordinator. Nationwide. And what I am telling you having been through about eight of these cycles throughout my career, this is the worst I’ve ever seen. Freight has fallen off a cliff. Trucking companies are closing their doors, they have no freight, they’re laying off drivers for the first time in 40 years. And it’s happened suddenly. This lag behind what you see on the news and on financial reports by about 6 to 8 weeks. The you know what is going to hit the fan. I’m talking like smacked upside the head all at once, Fire storm recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies