Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,982,713 times

Advertisements

The U.S. was built from people not native of this land!

People from Mexico and South America are coming into this country by the Thousands. These people that sneak into America(U.S) their descendants were born in the Americas. Before anyone discovered this awesome land!!!

My Question is what is an American?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

521 posts, read 1,629,796 times
Anyone that was born in AMERICA!
Whether that is South AMERICA, Central AMERICA, or North AMERICA.
Try going to South or Central America and observe the nasty faces you get for saying you are American when someone asks you where you are from.
For some reason, the majority of us from the United States seem to think we are the only Americans.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:55 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesside View Post
Anyone that was born in AMERICA!
Whether that is South AMERICA, Central AMERICA, or North AMERICA.
Try going to South or Central America and observe the nasty faces you get for saying you are American when someone asks you where you are from.
For some reason, the majority of us from the United States seem to think we are the only Americans.
Very well put. Its just like if someone tells you they are from Korea. We all know there is North and South Korea. They are both very different from each other, but we just call them all Koreans.

I think it is ignorance in general within the USA. It is almost as if the outside world doesnt exist.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:44 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Very well put. Its just like if someone tells you they are from Korea. We all know there is North and South Korea. They are both very different from each other, but we just call them all Koreans.

I think it is ignorance in general within the USA. It is almost as if the outside world doesnt exist.
The US is probably unique in its ignorance. Most of the world's population spends much of its time discussing things of deep importance. Those very different North and South Koreans....those East and West Germans...even those nomadic tribesmen in Darfur....NOBODY quite equals those Americans for pure, unadulterated ignorance. Americans are lucky if they can figure out which is "on top"...North or South Dakota...or even which one comes first in the dictionary..or whether the "Far East" includes Maine, or is it just Pennsylvania?

If we don't shape up soon, we'll NEVER get anyone to want to move here...
There are probably WAYS to overcome both ingorance AND apathy, as well...but, as to what they are...I don't know, and I don't care.....

But we COULD use some immigrants, for sure. Maybe we ought to contact the New Mexican government in Albuquerque, and ask them to SEND some

Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
The US is probably unique in its ignorance. Most of the world's population spends much of its time discussing things of deep importance. Those very different North and South Koreans....those East and West Germans...even those nomadic tribesmen in Darfur....NOBODY quite equals those Americans for pure, unadulterated ignorance. Americans are lucky if they can figure out which is "on top"...North or South Dakota...or even which one comes first in the dictionary..or whether the "Far East" includes Maine, or is it just Pennsylvania?

If we don't shape up soon, we'll NEVER get anyone to want to move here...
There are probably WAYS to overcome both ingorance AND apathy, as well...but, as to what they are...I don't know, and I don't care.....

But we COULD use some immigrants, for sure. Maybe we ought to contact the New Mexican government in Albuquerque, and ask them to SEND some
LOL Brilliant!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,640,468 times
Anyone who was born on the North or South American continent would be an American.

Now, as to who is a US citizen.....anyone who is either born here or who is a naturalized citizen. What could be more clear?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
yes they were born in the americas not america.
i was born in the americas too but that does not mean i can get a mexican
work permit or buy land in mexico.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:19 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,795,499 times
Anybody with a birth certificate or citizenship papers is a U.S. citizen.

"Americans" really are anyone born to this continent.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Anyone who was born on the North or South American continent would be an American.

Now, as to who is a US citizen.....anyone who is either born here or who is a naturalized citizen. What could be more clear?
You can be born in Puerto Rico and that makes you an "American" but as in citizen of the USA. Not the way the word was intended to be used.

So in reality, an American is anyone born in North, Central or South America.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they were born in the americas not america.
i was born in the americas too but that does not mean i can get a mexican
work permit or buy land in mexico.
What gives the USA the sole right to take throne to the word American? Why arent Canadian Americans too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies