Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2023, 09:11 AM

18,943 posts, read 8,572,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Did you read the article? It implies banks are lending money based on loans counted as assets on their books. OK, all well and good, so far.

Now when push comes to shove, from WHERE does the bank get the money to FUND a loan that is based on other loans on their books being counted as assets? Where does the actual money come from to FUND the loan?

An example, I own my home outright (no mortgage) but I decide to sell. At closing, the buyer has taken out a mortgage and I get the cash proceeds for the sale of my home. Where does the cash to pay me at closing come from if the buyer's mortgage is based not on the bank's financial reserves but only on a bookkeeping entry?
The buyer's lender creates a new loan, and that creates the necessary deposit that transfers to your bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 09:17 AM

89,507 posts, read 45,203,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Republicans want to fix it by raising the Full Retierment Age (FRA) to 69 for anyone who plans on retiring 10 years from now or later.
So what? My FRA is already at 67. A Democrat House and Republican Senate raised the FRA to 67 for those born in 1960 or later in 1983.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The buyer's lender creates a new loan, and that creates the necessary deposit that transfers to your bank.
How is that possible if the buyer's loan is based on nothing but their banks' bookkeeping entries? I get actual cash at closing, not a bookkeeping entry. Where does the cash come from?

Old 09-04-2023, 09:44 AM

7,270 posts, read 4,239,816 times
Quote:
How is that possible if the buyer's loan is based on nothing but their banks' bookkeeping entries? I get actual cash at closing, not a bookkeeping entry. Where does the cash come from?

That's how banks make money... literally.

Old 09-04-2023, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That's how banks make money... literally.
That doesn't answer the question.

If the buyer's loan is based on only the loans his bank holds being counted as assets and NOT on the actual cash reserves the bank has, WHERE did the money come from to pay me cash at closing?

How banks make money is they ORIGINATE loans which are then sold as MBS to either investors or the Federal Reserve. Banks get a small fee for originating the loan, and sometimes ongoing fees for servicing the loans.

US mortgage debt is currently about $18 trillion, most of it held by investors including everyone who has a pension and/or retirement account. Another $2.5 trillion in MBS is held by the Federal Reserve.

THAT'S where the funding comes from. The banks are not creating money out of nothing. They're selling the loans they originate to investors or the Federal Reserve.

None of this has anything to do with fractional reserve lending.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:23 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,403,797 times
Quote:
Wrong. A "loan" has to be backed by something. CASH.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
An illusion, vapor guaranteed by the banking system/Fed assuming current laws are followed. The cash deposit is created by the loan document. The bank itself has created new money, not the Fed.

https://www.pragcap.com/the-basics-of-banking/

Old 09-04-2023, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Wrong. A "loan" has to be backed by something. CASH.
There is backing through systemic banking laws, and always the Fed if necessary. Also there is still the purchased asset value if a car or house.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:35 AM

30,268 posts, read 18,825,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Benefits in social security are quickly running out and democrats want to do nothing to fix this growing crisis. Even the NYT and cnn have recently published articles that highlight the need to fix social security.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/09/polit...ers/index.html

Princeton has a solution that democrats reject, by increasing age or reducing payouts.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2022/...it-can-be-done

“There is nothing complicated about fixing Social Security, according to R. Douglas Arnold, the William Church Osborn Professor of Public Affairs, Emeritus, and professor of politics and public affairs, emeritus, at Princeton University. Legislators could simply raise taxes or they could cut benefits — by raising the retirement age, for example. What remains complicated are the politics of fixing Social Security, Arnold argues in a new book published by Princeton University Press.”

Why won’t the democrat party do anything to help fix social security? Don’t they care?
It's funny- democrats don't mind blowing billions on illegal immigrants. Yet when those expenditures threaten any entitlement programs, they go ballistic!

I am a conservative. I understand that social security and medicare are the only two federal programs that have actually reduced poverty in the US. We do, as civilized people, have a moral obligation to insure that the vunerable in society do not live like animals, particularly at an advanced age.

If ever there were two "social programs" we should defend, its medicare and social security. I will never benefit from either, despite paying in the max every year, as I will continue to work until I die (I still enjoy practicing medicine) and will thus have private health insurance and would have to "reimburse" social security for continuing to receive an income.

How about we take care of Americans first, and not the rest of the world? Democrats have "big hearts" until they actually have to sacrifice something for those desires, then their sentiments suddenly change. Dems tend to be selfish and greedy and never want to contribute a dime or a minute of thier own time to someone else.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
An illusion, vapor guaranteed by the banking system/Fed assuming current laws are followed. The cash deposit is created by the loan document. The bank itself has created new money, not the Fed.

https://www.pragcap.com/the-basics-of-banking/
If what you claim is true, there'd be no reason for banks to ever sell any of the loans they originate. They could just keep them all on their books and become worth infinitely more. Note that such does NOT happen.

In fact, the money to fund loans comes from investors or the Federal Reserve, both of which buy the loans that banks originate.

Why banks sell loans instead of just keeping them on their books
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies