Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2023, 10:51 AM

31,339 posts, read 14,384,888 times

Advertisements

I'm going to again mention one of my favorite gripes. Perhaps if the schools taught finance, instead of art, music, English literature (useless), basket weaving, critical race theory, intro to Marxism 101, and so forth.... we would have a population that is somewhat informed.

However since the democrats control education -- they sure seem to like the status quo - for obvious reaons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 10:57 AM

18,378 posts, read 15,868,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I'm going to again mention one of my favorite gripes. Perhaps if the schools taught finance, instead of art, music, English literature (useless), basket weaving, critical race theory, intro to Marxism 101, and so forth.... we would have a population that is somewhat informed.

However since the democrats control education -- they sure seem to like the status quo - for obvious reaons.

Personal financial management is being taught in middle school, high school as well as in college.

Since 2005 Virginia has had it part of the H.S. curriculum:

The 2005 General Assembly approved Senate Bill 950, a bill directing the Virginia Board of Education to "establish objectives for economic education and financial literacy" to be required of all students at the middle and high school levels.

https://www.doe.virginia.gov/teachin...rsonal-finance

In addition, here's the 2022 top 100 list of high schools teaching personal finance, by the W!se Financial Literacy organization:

https://www.wise-ny.org/wp-content/u...f-100-Best.pdf

At least 23 states have personal financial literacy requirements, according to Education Secretary Miguel Cardona.

You can track which states have financial literacy requirements and the updates HERE.

Last edited by lottamoxie; 09-04-2023 at 11:05 AM..

Old 09-04-2023, 10:57 AM

18,928 posts, read 8,557,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If what you claim is true, there'd be no reason for banks to ever sell any of the loans they originate. They could just keep them all on their books and become worth infinitely more. Note that such does NOT happen.

In fact, the money to fund loans comes from investors or the Federal Reserve, both of which buy the loans that banks originate.

Why banks sell loans instead of just keeping them on their books
I'm no banker. But they must do this either to try and make more money or reduce their risks. The loan itself does not change, especially in regards to the borrower.

The loaned money certainly can come from investors, but not necessarily and part of the point.

And the Fed is always there for backup, and/or to exchange debt paper for USD's. As in QE.

Old 09-04-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Personal financial management is being taught in high school as well as in college.

Since 2005 Virginia has had it part of the H.S. curriculum:

https://www.doe.virginia.gov/teachin...rsonal-finance

In addition, here's the 2022 top 100 list of high schools teaching personal finance, by the W!se Financial Literacy organization:

https://www.wise-ny.org/wp-content/u...f-100-Best.pdf

At least 21 states have personal financial literacy requirements, according to Education Secretary Miguel Cardona. In 24 states, high schools must offer personal finance education, but it’s not a requirement for students to take it. (as of Oct 2021).
but it’s not a requirement for students to take it. (as of Oct 2021)

Make it a requirement and scrap some of the other courses.

I'll send an invoice.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
but it’s not a requirement for students to take it. (as of Oct 2021)

Make it a requirement and scrap some of the other courses.

It's mandatory in 8 states, with 15 more states finalizing their requirements. Report as of March 2023.

https://www.ngpf.org/state-of-financ...cation-report/

If you go to the HOME PAGE of the Next Generation Personal Finance organization, you can scroll down and see the wide array of financial topics that are available for teaching students.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
It's mandatory in 8 states, with 15 more states finalizing their requirements. Report as of March 2023.

https://www.ngpf.org/state-of-financ...cation-report/
OK. and look at the 23 states.... almost every one of them is a Trump state.

When CA, NY, NJ, IL, PA and so forth start doing it, then maybe we have made some progress.

And when it's mandatory in more than 8.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:10 AM

89,473 posts, read 45,163,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'm no banker. But they must do this either to try and make more money or reduce their risks. The loan itself does not change, especially in regards to the borrower.

The loaned money certainly can come from investors, but not necessarily and part of the point.

And the Fed is always there for backup, and/or to exchange debt paper for USD's. As in QE.
Banks cannot and do not just pile unfunded loans up on their books. The loans have to be funded and that is done via banks using their financial reserves up to the limit allowed, and/or by selling the loans to investors or the Federal Reserve.

Lending banks are NOT creating money. They are earning profits by leveraging as much of their financial reserves as allowed. Only the Federal Reserve creates money in the US.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:14 AM

It's been many decades since I was in high school, but in my high school we had biz classes as electives, accounting 1 & 2, and a beginning stats class, which prepped students for continuing with a biz major in college. Students were taught how to balance a checkbook, which back then was vital to learn back then, before there were the Interwebs and online banking.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
OK. and look at the 23 states.... almost every one of them is a Trump state.
Goal posts being moved (again). Noted.

So, financial literacy only counts when it's a blue state, and specific blue states at that, that have made it mandatory.

Old 09-04-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
It's been many decades since I was in high school, but in my high school we had biz classes as electives, accounting 1 & 2, and a beginning stats class, which prepped students for continuing with a biz major in college. Students were taught how to balance a checkbook, which back then was vital to learn back then, before there were the Interwebs and online banking.
Good stuff --- I had none of those until I got into college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies