Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 07:24 PM

617 posts, read 343,453 times

Advertisements

I have a pretty good memory of prior UN climate declarations......a quick search...

The United Nations in 2015, is once again issuing tipping point deadlines by which humanity must act in order to combat man-made global warming. See:
Former UN Sec. Gen. Kofi Annan: ‘We must challenge climate skeptics who deny the facts’ – Warns of ‘tipping point’ – Touts carbon taxes
– ‘World is reaching the tipping point beyond which climate change may become irreversible.’

May 2015 is also the deadline for another 2007 UN climate tipping point. See:
8 year tipping point expires May 4! Flashback 2007: ‘There could be as little as eight years left to avoid a dangerous global average rise of 2C or more’

But as far back as 1989, the UN was issuing ‘tipping points’ that have now long since expired. The UN claimed in 1989 that the world had to act to solve global warming by the year 2000 — or else!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 07:27 PM

27,197 posts, read 15,375,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
Have to start catching those cow farts.
The premise of this thread makes me wonder if some aren't huffing them.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:40 PM

25,934 posts, read 18,937,421 times
So I've been trying to cut my emissions today and do my part. All I got out of it is a stomach ache. So, forget it. It's simply not worth it just to get a smile from Al and Greta.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:42 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Oh no! the world will ENDDDDDD!!!!!!

Just like it didnt the last 15 times "scientists" predicted it would......

Also we are seeing the affect of 2 degrees already. Not much affect.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:46 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,164,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Oh no! the world will ENDDDDDD!!!!!!

Just like it didnt the last 15 times "scientists" predicted it would......

Also we are seeing the affect of 2 degrees already. Not much affect.
A reduction in the number and severity of hurricanes. How is that a bad thing? The climate religion has no answer.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:03 AM

57,409 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There’s no proof that human activity has any warming effect on the environment. None. The Earth has been warming all on its own since the end of the last ice age. That’s not to say that humans have no impact on the environment. But, there’s no reliable way to measure our impact on the global climate.
There is a very strong correlation between greenhouse gas emissions and temperature increases over the last century.

https://climate.nasa.gov/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Everyone opining on CD won't be around by the end of the next century. Or very old. But we are here now. And we have real issues facing people today. Crime, inflation, runaway deficits, immigration. How about we fix today's problems before we worry about what MIGHT happen.

And temps are up 1 degree in the past 150 years.
We can address climate change along with other problems, burning fossil fuels and crime are two different areas. If you read through the article you would understand that CO2 and other gases remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years and accumulate, waiting is not a good option.

People view a 1 degree temperature increase as no big deal but it's enormous and we can already see the impact.

Quote:
The heat absorbed in Earth’s oceans reached a new record in 2019, found a recent study published in the journal Advances in Atmospheric Sciences. Despite the fact that this has been the case for almost every year over the past decade, this information dominated the news cycle, with some particularly viral headlines noting that the amount of energy accumulating in the oceans is equivalent to detonating five Hiroshima atomic bombs per second, every second over the past 25 years.
https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html

Old 03-21-2023, 08:09 AM

18,529 posts, read 8,343,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If you read through the article you would understand that CO2 and other gases remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years and accumulate, waiting is not a good option.
and yet, somehow China's massive increase in CO2 emissions does not remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years and does not accumulate....right?.....LOL

China can increase their CO2 emissions because they have more people.....per capita

what kind of idiot falls for this?

Old 03-21-2023, 08:11 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,737,412 times
I survived the "ice age" of the 70's, I'm sure I'll survive this. If not, the wife and I will finally crack open that bottle of Van Winkle, grab a couple of cigars and embrace the end.

Old 03-21-2023, 08:15 AM

19,731 posts, read 10,164,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is a very strong correlation between greenhouse gas emissions and temperature increases over the last century.

https://climate.nasa.gov/

We can address climate change along with other problems, burning fossil fuels and crime are two different areas. If you read through the article you would understand that CO2 and other gases remain in the atmosphere for hundreds of years and accumulate, waiting is not a good option.

People view a 1 degree temperature increase as no big deal but it's enormous and we can already see the impact.

https://skepticalscience.com/earth-w...s-per-sec.html
One degree temperature raise is less than it dropped during the Little Ice Age. Most of the sensors have been compromised by concrete and/or asphalt being poured near them. There is no evidence that the oceans are rising. Those of you in the "climate change religion" ignore these simple facts along with many others. Some scientists, like Dr. Roy Spencer, were offered huge grants to change their opinion. Explain away the facts, if you can.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 AM

15,888 posts, read 6,589,981 times
Most people don't plan more than a few decades ahead, so I doubt that a 73-year forecast is going to be a particularly compelling reason for people to change their habits. It's going to take measures that are conspicuously beneficial in the shorter term, which will likely require economically-useful technological advances. The role of government should be to encourage the development and deployment of that ecologically-beneficial technology. Regulation alone isn't going to work, as it will cause damaging political resistance (as it already does). But, given human nature, I'm expecting the world will get significantly worse before it gets better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies