Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 10:37 AM

19,230 posts, read 17,105,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why is diversity so important ?

I don't care what color skin a professor has if he knows his stuff and is a good teacher.
Isn't that the reason people go to college ?
Skin color should have nothing to do with getting a job.
I can agree and in a perfect world this would be a none issue but with decades of people being shut out over gender, race, nationality the trend of being Caucasian male being the first choice is still too prevalent. So as the schools student body has changed over the decades the school is hoping to do the same with the faculty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2023, 11:15 AM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I can agree and in a perfect world this would be a none issue but with decades of people being shut out over gender, race, nationality the trend of being Caucasian male being the first choice is still too prevalent. So as the schools student body has changed over the decades the school is hoping to do the same with the faculty.
And why shouldn't it since White people have been the majority of the population ?

If no Blacks apply then what will you do ? Cancel the class ?

Over 1 million kids are no longer in public schools. Charters and private schools got them.
Foreign student enrollment in college is down over 20% and continues to drop.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:21 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNSense View Post
So if I understand this correctly.

They need Black professors who Dress, Act and talk "Black" to better identify with the black students and this is seen as totally acceptable.

But then if we go by how someone dresses, talks, and acts we are accused of "racial profiling" which used to be a bad thing.

DEI is going to DIE and implode on itself due to it's contradictions.
I thought cultural appropriation was a bad thing ? Now they want this from their educators ?

Old 03-30-2023, 11:30 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
I thought cultural appropriation was a bad thing ? Now they want this from their educators ?
Cultural appropriation is a one-way narrative.

If POC appropriate white culture to be reimagined/rectify the evil white patriarchy:
applause with accolades of 'stunning, brave'.

If caucasians even attempt to incorporate something as benign as a recipe from another culture:
cries of rage - "racism, white supremacy!"

It's hypocrisy rationalized as 'equity'.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:35 AM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
Cultural appropriation is a one-way narrative.

If POC appropriate white culture to be reimagined/rectify the evil white patriarchy:
applause with accolades of 'stunning, brave'.

If caucasians even attempt to incorporate something as benign as a recipe from another culture:
cries of rage - "racism, white supremacy!"

It's hypocrisy rationalized as 'equity'.
Got it. I'm still waiting on my DE&I decoder ring.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:51 AM

78,452 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
I can agree and in a perfect world this would be a none issue but with decades of people being shut out over gender, race, nationality the trend of being Caucasian male being the first choice is still too prevalent.
Not sure how long you've been out of the workforce but your information is incredibly dated.

If you know someone that is in HR at a major company, you might want to get up to speed.

The company my neice is at right now is actively targeting blacks and hispanics because they have tons of women and asians...not enough blacks and hispanics.

P.S. I note again that the staff data you posted for Perdue is obviously incorrect. I'd be really careful considering how some folks are moving racial etc. groups to "white" for reporting purposes either intentionally or otherwise.

Old 03-30-2023, 11:55 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,903,765 times
Quote:
You are behind!

First choice now is Asian male or female or Caucasian female.

So those are the groups that will be discriminated against.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:05 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
In this country, the only place the meritocracy exists is sports. So let’s not kid ourselves..
Sort of. Still has a lot to do with Genetics, luck with injuries, and access to training/coaching. Can be a great athlete but have knee issues, might like basketball but you 5'5" and not fast, and can have the genetics but lack the training or coaching to push to the next level.

High school is basically just a Genetics weed period for most of the popular highschool sports.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:31 PM

19,230 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure how long you've been out of the workforce but your information is incredibly dated.

If you know someone that is in HR at a major company, you might want to get up to speed.

The company my neice is at right now is actively targeting blacks and hispanics because they have tons of women and asians...not enough blacks and hispanics.

P.S. I note again that the staff data you posted for Perdue is obviously incorrect. I'd be really careful considering how some folks are moving racial etc. groups to "white" for reporting purposes either intentionally or otherwise.
My information is not dated this is a discussion of one school and the links are from/about them, I am not going to play guessing games on someone allegedly moved peoples columns. Your nieces company is doing the same thing but for different demographics as the school is doing so what's the difference.

Old 03-30-2023, 12:45 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,684,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Why is diversity so important ?

I don't care what color skin a professor has if he knows his stuff and is a good teacher.
Isn't that the reason people go to college ?
Skin color should have nothing to do with getting a job.
Exactly. I would like those people here defending this form of racism to list specific reasons that a student needs professors of the same skin color.

40 years ago when I went to Purdue, I had professors and TAs who were a variety of ethnicities. It would never have occurred to me to want more instructors who "looked and talked like me." Such garbage was never on anyone's minds back in those good ol' days. We went to class to simply be educated, if you can fathom that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies