Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 04:34 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The only moral foundation for the US is the Bible,.
Since our nation was essentially founded on the principle of religious freedom, I consider your statement to be anti-American.

The first settlers, such as the pilgrims, came here to escape Europe, where you had to adhere to a particular church (Church of England in England, Catholic in France or Spain) or be persecuted or killed. The principle of separation of church and state was eventually written into our Constitution. Years later, many people were wary of JFK until he assured them that he would be the President of all Americans, and not govern based on Vatican decrees. No laws should be based on the Bible, or the Koran or any other religious scripture.

As for the Bible, it has been used to justify the Crusades, Spanish Inquisition, slavery, Jim Crow laws, genocide of the American Indians, the holocaust, the subjugation of women and persecution of gays. As a moral foundation it has been a pretty poor guide, except for the teachings of that Jesus fellow.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:48 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Without a political path to justice, there can only be violence
Political path to justice what in the world does that even mean, what justice in what context, how do you define a path, typically is the ability to vote not a guarantee to win.

Republicans created the narrative around abortion now that the other side also bought what you are telling your base, you cant blame them. You cant simply say, go to another state when red legislatures are passing laws that persecute people who even know that someone else is leaving the state for an abortion, you cant say we are trying to stop abortion on demand then lower the time to 6 weeks like Desantis did.
The framing that a vote for democrats is a vote against america is yours IMO without basis.

Old 04-05-2023, 04:56 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
son of g-d on a pogo stick...

when will you guys get it thru your numb skulls that the USA and ONLY the USA embraces, dreams of, or participates in this woke, everything-fluid gameboy inspired fantasy crap and THAT and THAT ALONE is why *WE* the USA are absent from the future in any way we are accustomed to. right now, YOU and YOUR life is strongly manipulated by the chinese. You are one step from 'manipulated' becoming 'controlled' That is why you are on the wrong side of things - unable to make sound decisions in your best interests because you chose to ignore what those interests are.

You need to also jump off this AI bandwagon. You dont know what it is, how it works, how to even create it but you embrace it because of your cartoon watching. Its pretty damning when the first unrestricted AI offering, within moments of power on, expresses a desire to kill all humans. Meaning you cannot wish to create or augment a sentient entity that has power over human life, when it has no understanding, respect or need for same. again, son of g-d on a pogo stick.
I write code for a living. I know how it works.

The stereotype is that democrats are the party of the future, and republicans are the party of the past. That stereotype happens to be 100% true, and posts like yours are Exhibit A on why that is true.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:02 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
What will the world look like 5 years from now?

The rich will get richer, and everyone else will get poorer. The working classes (white and blue collar) will have to work longer hours for lower real pay. The cost of housing, healthcare, and college will continue to skyrocket. The world will continue to get hotter, meaning food prices will continue to rise. Democrats will continue to blame Republicans for all of it, and Republicans will continue to blame Democrats. Because that's the game. Both parties will continue to work for their Big Money owners and enact policies which transfer massive amounts of wealth from the 99% to the 1%. Mental illness will continue to increase, as will the activities (legal or otherwise) that capitalize on it. The people who make money from human misery will continue to do everything in their power to maintain human misery.

In other words, the trends of the last 50 years will continue. Nothing can stop it, really. Half the population is too worried about transgender bathrooms and drag shows, and the other half is too worried about using the wrong pronouns.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
5 years from now? Everyone here focuses on the politics, religion, etc. But I have to tell you, 5 years from now? Technology is starting to REALLY change rapidly. We all agree on that I suspect. But that rate of change is accelerating.

5 years from now? We could have people on Mars. and AI developments these last few months have been wild, and will continue. And while I have almost 0 chance of seeing it, im sure trying hard. Cause the technological change stuff is going to be utterly insane. Folks who are all upset by trans folks, are not going to handle whats coming well at all. Because technology is going to change a LOT of cultural things as it continues to change.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:11 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
We won’t have a Country
...................... we will have a United States, but it will probably be a "balkanized" version in which there is a sane, conservative USA and an insane, liberal USA.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:14 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
"What will our future look like if what is happening now continues for 5 more years? "

This is the end game for democrats. And I'm being serious:

Conservatives would be terrified of such a place. There would be AI's controlling all sorts of things. You could change your gender, race and all kinds of other facets about yourself on a whim. It will be multi-cultural up the kazoo. It will be a mostly-leisure society in which work might not even be required. I started a thread on this idea some while ago. It will be a high-tech, highly-educated society in which only a small handful of people would ever even think about voting for someone resembling modern American republicans ... which would be just fine, because anything resembling modern American republicans would not only be terrified of such a future, they would be incapable of sustaining it anyway.

Don't get hung up on the details of the video, it's the concept that counts.

The last 2 years, and the next 5 years, are mere small steps in the process.
What a bunch of crap. In order to be prosperous, independent and self reliant, one must always produce a good or service.

A world in which one lives in leisure and everything is GIVEN to someone for nothing is a completely absurd liberal fantasy.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:23 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What a bunch of crap. In order to be prosperous, independent and self reliant, one must always produce a good or service.
Except that we will be producing goods and services - via our AI's and robots. It's already been gradually happening for centuries - it's called productivity. Since the advent of the Industrial Revolution, more and more of our output has been achieved with machines and, more recently, computers. AI and robots are merely a continuation of that.

Quote:
A world in which one lives in leisure and everything is GIVEN to someone for nothing is a completely absurd liberal fantasy.
You might want to start reading about post-scarcity societies.

But I can see why conservatives would be so upset about the prospect of all this. They truly fear any future that is too different from the past.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
IMO, regardless of who wins elections over the next 5 years, things will be about the same. (barring an unforeseen catastrophe, world-changing invention, etc.) The only thing elections will affect is who is doing the complaining.
You got that right. Lately all I read on thjs forum is conservatives whining.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

Compared to, say, 200 years ago, everything IS given to us for nothing. Used to be a man had to work from sunup to sundown, back-breaking labor, just to put food on the table. Today, food makes up about 5% of my budget. Working a relatively cushy job, I can buy a house that our ancestors would have recognized as a palace only royalty or a titan of industry could afford. I don't have to work long hard hours and my children didn't have to work at all when they were young.

This is all due to technology. Technology has made our farms and factories incredibly productive. AI is just another technology, and it will make our farms and factories even more productive, and our lives even more leisurely and luxurious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies