Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 08:25 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,006,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
It is not as if Ivy Leagues do not have any asian. As long as they have a handful, they are not discriminating. Most probably do have more than a handful.

How is this plaintiff suppose to prove he is being discriminated against when all the schools have plenty of asians? They feel some other minorities with less credentials add more to the culture of the school than this lone asian. That is all they need to state.

Since when does the prevalence of one demographic constitute non-discrimination against an individual? So as long as I hire a token Black guy, I can automatically reject all other Black candidates for jobs. Is that your logic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2023, 08:27 PM

8,157 posts, read 3,700,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I still want to know " Who" told him that. What administration talks like that,lol.
It was based on a model.. You can find tons of these calculators/models online

Old 06-13-2023, 08:31 PM

78,545 posts, read 60,737,570 times
It's truly funny to see the whole *well the tests are unfair* crap dying out.

Or that you can just test prep yourself up several levels with money.

BS. I tutored Div 1 football players at a major university that was hard to get into. They didn't know poop. They didn't score low because the tests were unfair, they scored low because their grasp of math was below algebra and they read like a 6th grader at best.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:32 PM

19,870 posts, read 18,152,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Here's my take on this as someone who has gone through this process with two mixed race Asian/Caucasian kids. I also go a unique insight as to how Asians, particularly Chinese, students/parents approach the college admissions process through my wife's network.

First of all, a GPA of 4.6 and 1590 SATs does not guarantee you admission to elite schools. They have ~5% acceptance rates and likely reject a good number of students with these scores. The main difference between students that get accepted to elite schools and those that don't is in the extracurricular activities. A lot of students, particularly Asians, have perfect SATs and take a lot of AP courses.

These elite schools are looking to develop the next generation of leaders (presidents, top executives, Supreme Court justices, etc.), not necessarily middle-managers or executives. And hence look at what students do beyond grades and standardized tests. Many Asians treat the grades as primary and extracurriculars as box checking. Case in point, at my daughters high-performing and heavily Asian high school, the principal had to limit the number of clubs formed by students. It was common for four, usually Asian, students to start a club based on some interesting topic, and assign themselves the president, VP, secretary and treasurer positions so they could put an extracurricular 'leadership' role on their applications. Admissions counselors put very little value on these extracurriculars. For better or worse, participation in team sports is seen as a proxy for leadership in the US. Yet there's almost never Asian students on the football or basketball teams.

Another extracurricular scam is voluntourism, where a family would take a vacation that had some volunteering component and use this as the community service 'box check'. Admissions counselors put very little value on these versus sustained community service of some sort.

Thus, a lower acceptance rate at elite private schools for Asians is not necessarily evidence of 'discrimination'. Things are different at state schools that have to focus on objective, quantifiable metrics. UC Berkeley is 40% Asian versus 15% or the overall California population.
And the kneel-down funny thing about all this............according to Krueger and Dale between a cadre of kids graduating Harvard vs. a like cadre graduating Middle Tennessee vs. another like cadre graduating say Texas A&M years on there will be no identifiable difference between the three. It's all about IQ + drive and zero about where kids earn their UG degree nothing else matters much at all.

Last edited by EDS_; 06-13-2023 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-13-2023, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
it's truly funny to see the whole *well the tests are unfair* crap dying out.

Or that you can just test prep yourself up several levels with money.

Bs. I tutored div 1 football players at a major university that was hard to get into. They didn't know poop. they didn't score low because the tests were unfair, they scored low because their grasp of math was below algebra and they read like a 6th grader at best.
100%.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
I still want to know " Who" told him that. What administration talks like that,lol.
A non-affiliated advisor told him that.

Let's be frank.......a black kid with 1580ish SAT and way over 4.00 honors/AP adjusted SAT and nothing else would be limo'd into any ivy, Stanford, Harvey Mudd and probably MIT without much thought.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:57 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,801,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
And the kneel-down funny thing about all this............according to Krueger and Dale between a cadre of kids graduating Harvard vs. a like cadre graduating Middle Tennessee vs. another like cadre graduating say Texas A&M years on there will be no identifiable difference between the three. It's all about IQ + drive and zero about where kids earn their UG degree nothing else matters much at all.
It is true that once you get hired, your performance matters more than where you went to school. However, graduates of prestigious schools have more opportunities to join prestigious firms.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legali...ls-2023-04-28/

I say good for the kid. In this country you have to fight for what you want. And that's what he is doing.

Old 06-13-2023, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It is true that once you get hired, your performance matters more than where you went to school. However, graduates of prestigious schools have more opportunities to join prestigious firms.

https://www.reuters.com/legal/legali...ls-2023-04-28/

I say good for the kid. In this country you have to fight for what you want. And that's what he is doing.
According to the only study I've seen, there are actually two closely related studies by Krueger and Dale, at the undergraduate level given roughly the same inbound metrics where one goes to school does not matter.

1. Graduate and professional schooling is a different matter but again I'd bet that ultra high achiever A going to Harvard Law and ultra high achiever B going to Texas and ultra high achiever C going to Miami end up similarly years on.

2. A niece works at a Vault 5-ish law firm in NYC. She graduated from a second rate college and a second rate law school (well outside USN's top 50) mostly because she was awarded a sweet scholarship. Going to Harvard Law, or any other top brand name school, wouldn't have helped her in any way that I can see.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:38 AM

15,511 posts, read 7,546,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Because Harvard has already said it's based on race? They've argued in court that Asians don't have the right 'personality' for their school. Imagine if that were applied to any other minority...

If anyone wants to see real institutional racism, this is it. Either they believe Asians have one monolithic personality, or they want to limit the number of Asian students. Which choice is NOT racist?
Are you arguing that if the top 80% of applicants to Harvard are Asian, then the incoming class should be 80% Asian? Harvard gets to mix up the incoming class. All of this arguing over "merit only" is ridiculous, because there is no hard seriatim of applicants. Like any other process, it's nature is a bell curve of abilities and skills. Picking at random from the right side of the curve isn't racist or anything else, those applicants are statistically indistinguishable.

Old 06-14-2023, 05:42 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,598,105 times
And I gotta wonder why folks think the Ivys are all that. Face it, their football teams suck. If you want to go to a top of the top school, here's your list:

Alabama
Ohio State
Georgia
Clemson
Michigan

Note that their order is dynamic, and one bad snap can reshuffle the standings.

And yes Asian students attend these schools - Ohio State has approx 5% Asian student population..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies