Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,721,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I think someone raising the price of gas to $15 a gallon might change your mind about a few things.
Go ahead, I am already building a biodiesel lab. And I am still going to drive all my full-size, 4500lb+ sedans. And right now I am in the used market for a Ram 3500 dually... diesel of course.

$15 for gas simply means the environmentalists haven't been defeated yet... and at that price I don't think that would be a feasible situation. I'm not worrying, they are going to get run over by opposition pretty soon... pun intended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 10:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
I think someone raising the price of gas to $15 a gallon might change your mind about a few things.
Actually $15 a gallon would further support that the JTraik was correct.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:05 PM

712 posts, read 1,367,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
We all need to stay at home on June 13th and June 20th-
No Driving and No Flying - Everybody - Just stay home on these 2 days and just maybe the big Oil Company's wil stop raising the Gas Prices.
Everybody can talk and complain all we want but if we don't do anything about the big Oil Company's they will keep raising the Gas Prices.
Some people are saying if I were in charge I would do this or do that to stop the raising Gas prices. Just one person complaining won't work.
Apparently we can't seem to car pool as much as we should BUT if EVERYBODY would POOL together On June 13th and June 20th and stay home, maybe the Oil Company's will stop the every day raising prices.
Remember - Tell Everybody You Know to stay at home June 13th and
June 20th as it should lower the gas prices or at least keep them from going up any higher.
We need to try something and this is one way that Everbody in the United States can speak up. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

Stay at home on June 13th and June 20th.
No Driving and no Flying Just Stay Home and Just Maybe the Big Oil Company's will stop raising the Gas Prices on a daily basis.
Tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th.
This is one way Everybody Can speak up saying Enough is Enough!
Rather then Everybody complaining about the prices and not doing anything about it, lets all Pool together and Stay Home June 13th and June 20th.
REMEMBER tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th
Also tell Everybody you know to tell Everybody they konw to take the 2 days off (June 13th and June 20th ) an just Stay At Home.
The oil companies are not doing this on purpose. This is not the way to fix anything. Gas prices are high because of insufficient planning on drilling for new oil. You cant blame them for that. People make mistakes. Help is on the way, give it another year.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Go ahead, I am already building a biodiesel lab. And I am still going to drive all my full-size, 4500lb+ sedans. And right now I am in the used market for a Ram 3500 dually... diesel of course.

$15 for gas simply means the environmentalists haven't been defeated yet... and at that price I don't think that would be a feasible situation. I'm not worrying, they are going to get run over by opposition pretty soon... pun intended.
rochester ny? so far the rest of the downstate is collecting all the waste stream oil, shuffling it over to jersey, then shipping it back out to mix into home heating oil blending because the oil distributor networks downstream are getting green credit tax write offs for doing so. Maybe you'll get to keep your supply being far away enough from refineries. Maybe not.

Oh- and do be careful about those flashpoints- home brews can do some damage if you don't get it quite right- too low a flashpoint and you might as well be putting gas in a diesel engine. Crummy cetanes can stall you, excess olefins leave nasty residues in engines, and most older diesels need the sulfur for slip last I heard from mechanical engineers. Don't forget the cloud/pour range in winter- biodiesel really really doesn't like cold weather at all. "big oil" had to retrofit tanks for heating and insulation just to be able to store it in a 50k bbl capacity tank. Takes 3 cast iron burners running to do that, (using oil of course). Good luck with your army of one plan.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Quote:
rochester ny? so far the rest of the downstate is collecting all the waste stream oil, shuffling it over to jersey, then shipping it back out to mix into home heating oil blending because the oil distributor networks downstream are getting green credit tax write offs for doing so. Maybe you'll get to keep your supply being far away enough from refineries. Maybe not.
I have enough greasy spoons in this town to last me a century.

Quote:
Oh- and do be careful about those flashpoints- home brews can do some damage if you don't get it quite right- too low a flashpoint and you might as well be putting gas in a diesel engine. Crummy cetanes can stall you, excess olefins leave nasty residues in engines, and most older diesels need the sulfur for slip last I heard from mechanical engineers.
*yawn*.... Proper titration is all I need to worry about. The natural, high lubricity of biodiesel prolongs engine life at the expense of a few BTU's... but at the price, who cares?

Quote:
Don't forget the cloud/pour range in winter- biodiesel really really doesn't like cold weather at all. "big oil" had to retrofit tanks for heating and insulation just to be able to store it in a 50k bbl capacity tank. Takes 3 cast iron burners running to do that, (using oil of course). Good luck with your army of one plan.
I swear... your gonna put me to sleep! For the cold you need an auxillary tank on your vehicle for pump diesel to initially start up the vehicle then you flip on the heating element in your biodiesel tank and go on your merry way. And 50k tanks??? I could only dream of having those... electric heating elements work well in 55g drums for me since I only pay $0.035 per kwh.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:16 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Good thing you know your way around all those silly details. Just making a point that the average person would have to have a good deal of knowledge before messing around with a 20k vehicle. But... obviously you know everything. <weg>

Old 06-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Good thing you know your way around all those silly details. Just making a point that the average person would have to have a good deal of knowledge before messing around with a 20k vehicle. But... obviously you know everything. <weg>
They are silly... simple biodiesel introductory knowledge. I won't be spending 20k thats for darn sure! Hopefully I can get something equipped with a Cummins 12-valve for under 10k... I can't wait! Thank you for your concern however.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:26 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
The oil companies are not doing this on purpose. This is not the way to fix anything. Gas prices are high because of insufficient planning on drilling for new oil. You cant blame them for that. People make mistakes. Help is on the way, give it another year.

I think you are right on the mark. Notice that we have the cheapest prices of countries that import. People are just too stupid to see that the politicans are pointing fingers becuse they have knew about oil becoming a more scarce commody for decdes and never put any policy in effect.Instead they point finegrs and have never ending hearings to distract the stuip mob mentality of many in the US; while making political decisions like turning corn into methenol. For years tehy have stopped things like nuclear power and drilling whilw other countries have gone ahead kowing it would be need;all to satisfy special interest like the environmantalist who could care less about real peole. Just as the environmaentalist stopped a flood gates sysyem that would ahve saved NO during Katrina in trhe 60's by going to court. Those canal with the leveys would nevr had had the rising water that finally broke thru. Shot yourself in the heart to save your foot.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:32 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
We all need to stay at home on June 13th and June 20th-
No Driving and No Flying - Everybody - Just stay home on these 2 days and just maybe the big Oil Company's wil stop raising the Gas Prices.
Everybody can talk and complain all we want but if we don't do anything about the big Oil Company's they will keep raising the Gas Prices.
Some people are saying if I were in charge I would do this or do that to stop the raising Gas prices. Just one person complaining won't work.
Apparently we can't seem to car pool as much as we should BUT if EVERYBODY would POOL together On June 13th and June 20th and stay home, maybe the Oil Company's will stop the every day raising prices.
Remember - Tell Everybody You Know to stay at home June 13th and
June 20th as it should lower the gas prices or at least keep them from going up any higher.
We need to try something and this is one way that Everbody in the United States can speak up. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

Stay at home on June 13th and June 20th.
No Driving and no Flying Just Stay Home and Just Maybe the Big Oil Company's will stop raising the Gas Prices on a daily basis.
Tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th.
This is one way Everybody Can speak up saying Enough is Enough!
Rather then Everybody complaining about the prices and not doing anything about it, lets all Pool together and Stay Home June 13th and June 20th.
REMEMBER tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th
Also tell Everybody you know to tell Everybody they konw to take the 2 days off (June 13th and June 20th ) an just Stay At Home.
I've been getting this silly chain email for years.

Snopes.com is down so here's some info from another source.

Boycott Rising Gas Prices? - BreakTheChain.org (http://breakthechain.org/exclusives/exxon.html - broken link)

Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 PM

153 posts, read 565,958 times
June 20th is Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. I always take off that day, but not to stay home and "protest." I'm going to be driving across the state of WI visiting state parks and just plain joyriding down whatever country road looks appealing. WI is great in summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies