Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 02:49 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
They are silly... simple biodiesel introductory knowledge. I won't be spending 20k thats for darn sure! Hopefully I can get something equipped with a Cummins 12-valve for under 10k... I can't wait! Thank you for your concern however.
cummins and detroit diesels- workhorses that built america.
Buddy of mine at brookhaven national lab (yes mad scientist) has been using biodiesel for years in his volvo and ran into some snags- supply is one of them. Make sure you've got a good relationship with those greasy spoons or that source will dry up on you. Pipeline co.'s are making a 2 way profit cutting regular oil and they'll get aggressive if demand increases. Can't recall the % but 5-10% range blends so far. NYS increases that allowable percent, life could change for you quickly.

Battery technology is going into new generation hybrids shortly (google toshiba lithium ion rechargables) and automotive industry is bringing back electric cars (GM, mitsubishi, few other names I cant recall). should be around by 2010. SUV resale market will be getting saturated if people don't get wise to conversion kits, so you just might get your decent price afterall. Energy independant is the way we all need to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 03:47 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,806,877 times
A more effective plan would be if the truckers just parked their trucks on the highway. At $5 a gallon for diesel I feel for the truckers. Many have had their per mile wages eroded as the cost of diesel has eaten into what they make per mile. Many independents have decided to just stop driving.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:55 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
Mobil Oil (now Exxon-Mobil) has fed my family for more than 40 years..why do you want to hurt the stockholders, employees and retired employees?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:07 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Those evil oil companies and their huge 9% profit margin...

Old 06-03-2008, 10:22 AM

27,215 posts, read 46,772,227 times
If you all stay of the road I will there faster and it will safe me some money since I won't have to stand in a traffic jam.

I rather have the oil companies drill for oil. Did you hear the Japanese are drilling off the coast of Florida....Why not Americans drilling in our waters....?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:36 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Oil producing nations want euros for their oil. The American dollar is valued so much lower then the euro that we pay more for oil because of the shrinking dollar. I think I remember the last time I heard you needed more then a dollar and a half to get a euro.

Why be upset with the oil industry when the government allowed their lobbyists to provide favorable legislations for them. The failure of the government is the problem. If you want to protest, focus on the government ~ run out of gas while driving into their parking lot entrances – government employees can’t get into work then. Stopping the government is better then stopping the oil company.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:45 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Why continue using oil when the nation should be heading to renewable energy. Wind, solar, and water can be substituted for oil in so many areas of this country, and we would be saving the oil for those items that truly needed oil.

So what has your government done to promote and change over to renewable energy?

Old 06-03-2008, 10:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Sorry, but I have something more important to do on the 13th - we are welcoming home a member of our armed forces (my son) who is returning from 12 months in Afganistan - under fire a lot.

I'll be driving from Phoenix to San Diego -

Old 06-03-2008, 11:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
So what has your government done to promote and change over to renewable energy?
Why does everyone ask what the GOVERNMENT has done to promote renewable energy? If the government would just get out of the way, we would see huge windfarms, hydroelectric dams all over this country. The government IS often the problem, never the solution because bills are created to benefit special interest groups, not the citizens.

I noticed something today to give you an example. I have been buying low energy light bulbs for 10 years. I've been doing this because I use what I consider a huge amount of electric monthly and every little bit helps. (average electric bill is $200, and I dont heat my home with it).

The minute the government mandated that everyone use these light bulbs beginning next year, the price of them doubled. I used to be able to buy them for $1 each, now its around $2-$3 for a bulb.

If government would just get out of the way, this country would be so flush with energy, even renewable energy, that the price of fuel wouldnt even be discussed because no one would care.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,412,542 times
Remember, if there's a skunk cabbage plant or a dirt shrew's burrow within 300 feet, you can't disturb the soil!

And...I noticed the price jump in the light bulbs as well.

But of course the whole global warming thing is just a moneymaker on every level (except ours of course) anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies