Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:35 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticPhoenix View Post
This is ridiculously stoopid. Yes, I said STOOPID. Big Oil isn't going to be hurt by us all staying home for one day. They're going to earn their money the next day anyway. So why bother with this? What we NEED to do is change our driving habits, as a nation, and stop shipping things by truck ACROSS THE FARKING COUNTRY. That won't happen though because the trucking industry has too much invested in Washington's politicians. We need to stop living 30 miles or more from where we work, stop living in 5,000 square feet mansions when there's only two people in the family, and conserve what we use. Let's ship groceries by train, then use inter-city deliveries by truck. That will conserve oil and create another industry that could replace long-haul trucking which is inefficient and costly the way it is.

Or has logic been criminalized too in this country?

It's simple. If we all use less, we pay less, even if the price doesn't go down. We save on the environment, we help the economy, and and we all profit.
Stop shipping things by truck? you have other suggestions? Beleive or not, people look into the cheapest shipping method, where I work a truck is the cheapest way to transport something. Food is perishable and needs to get from point A to B quickly as possible. Besides, a whole lot of food ingredients is transported by rail already and has been for years.

I will stop living far from work when they actually have a place I can afford near work and if someone can guarentee I will always work there. Many people are up and switching jobs all the time, can hardly say it is in someone's best interest to move every time they get a new job.

As far as the mansions go, if someone can afford it then that is their freedom to reside in a house that size. You or no one else should have the right to tell me or anyone else what size house someone should live in. Besides, if someone can afford a house that big then they usually can afford the costs that go with it.

I like how people start picking apart industries and lifestyles in which they have no clue about. The problem is there are too many dang people in the world. Oh yes, that is very politically incorrect to say, but that is the truth. Too many people competing for a limited amount of resources. So thanks to unchecked population growth, we are all now going to suffer because some greedy families wanted to have 2, 3 or more kids and that just multiplied into billions.

You all really can not expect that humans are exempt from the laws of nature do you? Eerything has a carrying capacity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 05:14 AM

43 posts, read 227,952 times
If everyone were to stay home for a day to teach big oil a lesson, they would simply fill their cars up with gas the day before or the day after. They would go to the grocery store or do other errands on the day before or the day after. Millions of people would be short a day or two without pay. This is going to teach big oil a lesson? The only thing it would tell is that we are more ignorant than big oil gives us credit for.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Like WILW Radio, I work in health care, and try to keep people healthy, or at least alive. Ironically, on the 13th, I will be driving ~ 30 miles to the University of Colorado Health Science Center intead of my usual 4 1/2 miles to the office. I'm attending a conference on telephone triage, a way to help patients w/o them making a trip to the office! Yes, I think this is nonsense.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:56 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Like WILW Radio, I work in health care, and try to keep people healthy, or at least alive. Ironically, on the 13th, I will be driving ~ 30 miles to the University of Colorado Health Science Center intead of my usual 4 1/2 miles to the office. I'm attending a conference on telephone triage, a way to help patients w/o them making a trip to the office! Yes, I think this is nonsense.
*****I agree 100% .Why is it that no one talks about the ripoff of the american public by the oil co's. All the CEO of the oil co try to explain it this way. They say that the world market sets the price for fuel. But we only buy about 28 to 30 % of the oil from foreign countrys, we produce the rest right here in the US from wells that were drilled many yrs. ago when oil was only $ 35.00 a barel. and we have enough oil without the need to buy any foreign oil, it doesn't matter what the other countrys are paying , how much oil are they sucking out of the ground in these country's? if they don't have oilthen they have no choise , here in the US we have choise, we have oil !. We just need to stop the ripoff. ( just my opinion)?

Old 06-01-2008, 10:50 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
Stay at home on June 13th and June 20th.
No Driving and no Flying Just Stay Home and Just Maybe the Big Oil Company's will stop raising the Gas Prices on a daily basis.
Tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th.
This is one way Everybody Can speak up saying Enough is Enough!
Rather then Everybody complaining about the prices and not doing anything about it, lets all Pool together and Stay Home June 13th and June 20th.
REMEMBER tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th
Also tell Everybody you know to tell Everybody they konw to take the 2 days off (June 13th and June 20th ) an just Stay At Home.
Thanks for posting this.. No really, thanks. I now know what days I can travel without hitting a lot of traffic.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 AM

358 posts, read 518,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl View Post
We all need to stay at home on June 13th and June 20th-
No Driving and No Flying - Everybody - Just stay home on these 2 days and just maybe the big Oil Company's wil stop raising the Gas Prices.
Everybody can talk and complain all we want but if we don't do anything about the big Oil Company's they will keep raising the Gas Prices.
Some people are saying if I were in charge I would do this or do that to stop the raising Gas prices. Just one person complaining won't work.
Apparently we can't seem to car pool as much as we should BUT if EVERYBODY would POOL together On June 13th and June 20th and stay home, maybe the Oil Company's will stop the every day raising prices.
Remember - Tell Everybody You Know to stay at home June 13th and
June 20th as it should lower the gas prices or at least keep them from going up any higher.
We need to try something and this is one way that Everbody in the United States can speak up. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

Stay at home on June 13th and June 20th.
No Driving and no Flying Just Stay Home and Just Maybe the Big Oil Company's will stop raising the Gas Prices on a daily basis.
Tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th.
This is one way Everybody Can speak up saying Enough is Enough!
Rather then Everybody complaining about the prices and not doing anything about it, lets all Pool together and Stay Home June 13th and June 20th.
REMEMBER tell Everybody you know to Stay Home on June 13th and June 20th
Also tell Everybody you know to tell Everybody they konw to take the 2 days off (June 13th and June 20th ) an just Stay At Home.

I do not blame big oil for the current price of the gallon of gas.
I blame the enviromentalists and the facist liberal party for the very very unreasonable enviromental policies.
If not for the facist liberals, we could have new more modern refineries, drilling offshore for the last 10-20 years, and have been drilling in anwr for the last decade.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:05 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Lets just all become Amish. If Harrison Ford can do, so can you.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Lets just all become Amish. If Harrison Ford can do, so can you.
Harrison Ford has converted to Amish? How did I miss that?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 PM

607 posts, read 923,085 times
Too bad I'm flying to Chicago for a vacation on June 20. I guess I won't be participating!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
One day will make 0 difference. As a previous poster stated..they fill fill up the day before or the day after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies