Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 07:54 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So it stands to reason unions would have a much higher % of whites then blacks.
Are white folks attracted to union jobs at the same rate as blacks? Do the two groups apply for union apprenticeships at the same rate?

You misuse statistics.

Old 07-05-2023, 07:58 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,193,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I can't imagine being Irish when you don't even get in the door to get an interview when outside is a sign, NINA, NO Irish Need Apply!
There was discrimination against Irish folks but few documented incidents of signs stating "No Irish". With blacks, you can ask folks alive today if they were denied positions based on race.

I have had personnel people tell me that they were instructed to hire no black applicants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and leads to exactly the "black culture" we're having to deal with now
I'll ask you the same thing I have asked others: How qualified are you to assess black culture and what steps did you take to arrive at that qualification?

Old 07-05-2023, 08:38 AM

41,979 posts, read 75,252,667 times
[quote=sholomar;65483714]Giving unqualified people leadership positions because they are female peoples of color [quote]
Why would you assume they are unqualified?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again stop with the fake outrage and false race card playing.
Tell that to the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
hr.
HR is dominated by women? That's a good one ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
In other words racial discrimination is bad except when you and people who agree with you decide it is good?
Take it up with the OP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I work for a very large, pretty woke corporation. We’ve got a DEI department and all that. But I’ve hired many people and never once been told that I must hire a woman or a minority.
Nor have I.

Old 07-05-2023, 09:27 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,318,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Are we just going to look at the present incumbents on SCOTUS or the 20th century? The federal judiciary is no where near 22% judges of African descent, about 12%. But consider this: The most sought after legal slots are partnerships at major law firms, which pay for more than federal judgeships. Those workers are overwhelmingly white and male. Becoming a judge involved a pay cut for the white males on SCOTUS, not so for the minorities.

Your count is off, anyway. Clarence Thomas ain't black!
Okay. So 5% of US lawyers are black, but they make up 12% of federal judges. And you'd better believe that that number is going to go up, for reasons that I guess make sense to someone. So black lawyers are over represented on the federal bench, by a considerable percentage.

Do you know what it takes to become a partner in a large corporate law firm? It means about ten years of putting in 60-80 hour work weeks in a stressful job. Don't be too jealous of them.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:25 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I've seen that 5% of U.S. lawyers are black. Is the percentage of judges really that much lower? 22% of SCOTUS justices are black. What do you say about that? Do you object to that disproportion?
"22% of SCOTUS justices are black. What do you say about that? Do you object to that disproportion?"

Using the lefts way of doing things, I DO object considering blacks only make up abpout 13/14% of our population.

The number of black judges should be the same.

"Equal" rights and all.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I work for a very large, pretty woke corporation. We’ve got a DEI department and all that. But I’ve hired many people and never once been told that I must hire a woman or a minority. But maybe it’s because I work in a scientific field where the workforce is naturally diverse. Not that many white males getting PhDs apparently.
Or maybe they have already met their numbers.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:29 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,304 times
Good example is our Vice President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Pretty much my company requires a woman of minority to be hired every time they do a mass promotion from one department to the other. It’s resulted in like 3-4 total idiots ending up in jobs they never should have

Old 07-06-2023, 05:31 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,257,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I plan to be self sufficient to a very old age, and when I can't take care of myself, I'll overdose on something and get ready for the next life. I'm not obsessed with living until 100 if my body is frail. I can either take care of myself, or I don't want to continue with this incarnation.

My father is 67 and still doing 40 mile bike rides and squatting in the gym. The human body is largely "use it or lose it" and the reason people become frail as they age is they simply stop engaging in any exercise (particularly resistance training) so their body starts to atrophy. He regularly gets told by 20 somethings in the gym he goes to that he's "an inspiration" and I suppose he is.
^^^^this!!!
Yes he is an inspiration and as a 53 year old myself I do the same. I still work out regularly.
I tell my friends the same thing, use it or lose it. Or better yet, if you stop, you drop.

Old 07-06-2023, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
There was discrimination against Irish folks but few documented incidents of signs stating "No Irish". With blacks, you can ask folks alive today if they were denied positions based on race.

I have had personnel people tell me that they were instructed to hire no black applicants.

I'll ask you the same thing I have asked others: How qualified are you to assess black culture and what steps did you take to arrive at that qualification?
"but few documented incidents of signs stating "No Irish"

Were you around back then?

Obviously, it was a bigger deal then what you think!

"<li data-layout="organic" class="wLL07_0Xnd1QZpzpfR4W">immigrants to the United States who ...

1. Videos

2:38

NO IRISH NEED APPLY NINA INNA Lyrics Words text Ireland trending Saint Patrick Sing along song
    7K views
    YouTube5yr

3:38

No Irish Need Apply
    50K views
    YouTube7yr

2:22

Why historians are fighting about "No Irish Need Apply" signs — and why it matters
    vox.com8yr

2:25

Tullamore DEW - No Irish Need Apply
    289K views
    YouTube5yr

3:14

No Irish Need Apply
    106K views
    YouTube12yr

6:52

No Irish Need Apply
    9.4K views
    YouTube5yr

4:17

No Irish Need Apply
    8.4K views
    YouTube2yr

4:08

No Irish need Apply
    YouTube9yr

1:56

No Irish Need Apply
    6.3K views
    YouTube8yr

1:55

No Irish Need Apply
    11K views
    YouTube8yr
    More Videos
"19th century

See also: Catherine O'Leary

An Irishman depicted as a gorilla ("Mr. G. O'Rilla")

American political cartoon by Thomas Nast titled "The Usual Irish Way of Doing Things", depicting a drunken Irishman sitting on a barrel of gunpowder while lighting a powder keg and swinging a bottle in the air. Published 2 September 1871 in Harper's Weekly

Anti-Irish sentiments in Victorian Britain and 19th century United States manifested themselves the stereotyping of the Irish as violent and alcoholic"

""

"21st century

In 2002, English journalist Julie Burchill narrowly escaped prosecution for incitement to racial hatred, following a column in The Guardian where she described Ireland as being synonymous with "child molestation,"

"n March 2012, a classified ad in Perth, Australia placed by a bricklayer stated that "no Irish" should apply for the job.[46] On 8 August 2012, an article appeared in Australian newspapers titled "Punch Drunk: Ireland intoxicated as Taylor swings towards boxing gold"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Irish_sentiment

Old 07-06-2023, 05:42 AM

[quote=Ohiogirl81;65508808][quote=sholomar;65483714]Giving unqualified people leadership positions because they are female peoples of color
Quote:
Why would you assume they are unqualified?

Tell that to the OP.

HR is dominated by women? That's a good one ...

Take it up with the OP.
Nor have I.
"Nor have I"

Happened where I worked.

And it was big in the fed gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.