Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 11:25 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,804,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The only reason I said a reduced rate - is that that childless couple do benefit from others bringing up their kids in an educated culture... rather than having a bunch of kids growing up without an education.
And there is no law that precludes anyone from donating to their local schools if they are so inclined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 11:30 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,641,407 times
Quote:
Maybe the childless shouldn't pay taxes into public education... or at least a reduced rate.
Seem only fair if you take away Voting Rights from the Childless.

Taxation without Representation !!!

I guess Elon hasn't thought this thoroughly.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:33 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
Quote:
Maybe the childless shouldn't pay taxes into public education... or at least a reduced rate.
You could also think of it as childless adults are paying for their own education retroactively they had as kids by paying taxes that support public education as adults. Or that maybe that providing a base level of public education to kids is beneficial for society as a whole.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:42 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,000,210 times
Money doesn't buy intelligence unfortunately

Old 07-04-2023, 11:44 AM

3,338 posts, read 1,970,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
How to Create an Entrenched Underclass 101
The EITC has already done this.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:47 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,267,495 times
I don't support restricting the franchise.

But I do support accounting for the social benefits of good child rearing. Parents whose children pay a lot of income tax should get enhanced social security and Medicare subsidies.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,680 posts, read 18,050,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think childless folks have a different perspective on life and a different perspective on the future. Having kids makes you worry about it more because you have offspring who have to live in it. Being childless does give you less of stake in the future because when you die, you don’t have any kids or grandkids left behind to deal with any potential societal consequences of current decisions.

I don’t fully agree with Musks statement but also don’t think it’s that out there of a thing to say or believe.
I'm not sure I agree with him either, but it's an interesting thought.

My father had the same thought when David Suter was seated on the Supreme Court. As a single, childless man, he didn't have enough perspective on humanity, and enough buy-in in the future, to have the wisdom and far reaching thought processes required of a Supreme.

Old 07-04-2023, 11:54 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,804,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

But I do support accounting for the social benefits of good child rearing. Parents whose children pay a lot of income tax should get enhanced social security and Medicare subsidies.
Hard Pass. They already benefit from heavily subsidized child rearing. If anything, parents with children should pay more taxes.

Last edited by albert648; 07-04-2023 at 12:10 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 12:02 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,783,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure I agree with him either, but it's an interesting thought.

My father had the same thought when David Suter was seated on the Supreme Court. As a single, childless man, he didn't have enough perspective on humanity, and enough buy-in in the future, to have the wisdom and far reaching thought processes required of a Supreme.
I have had similar thoughts but on a much smaller scale and in regards to local politics. I think having kids gives you a much wider perspective on life. I know childless folks will take great offense to that but it’s something that I believe wholeheartedly. Your life changes pretty much overnight when you have kids as does your perspective.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:06 PM

50,979 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

So Paris Hilton and her kids should get extra SS and Medicare?? For what purpose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies