Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 12:07 PM

19,693 posts, read 12,270,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I think childless folks have a different perspective on life and a different perspective on the future. Having kids makes you worry about it more because you have offspring who have to live in it. Being childless does give you less of stake in the future because when you die, you don’t have any kids or grandkids left behind to deal with any potential societal consequences of current decisions.

I don’t fully agree with Musks statement but also don’t think it’s that out there of a thing to say or believe.
That is looking at it in the simplest terms. Obviously people are more complex than that. Musk is not father of the year. And there are childfree people who care deeply about humanity in general and do a lot of giving.

Truth is most people are for themselves. Young people talk about how selfish their parents are compared to their grandparents. Me generation passing from boomers down. There will be few grandchildren anyway, young people can't afford to have kids and their parents many of who did well in better times and voted for bad policy that exists today, are not thinking much about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2023, 12:10 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
I don’t think childless voters should or ever will be denied the right to vote.

Elon Musk saying, “yup” to an anonymous twitter user who suggested it is not a threat to our democracy.
Who said it was?

Old 07-04-2023, 12:10 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,264,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
So Paris Hilton and her kids should get extra SS and Medicare?? For what purpose?
You can cherry pick all you want but I don't think it can be argued that childless retirees' benefits aren't paid for by the children of others. Parents go through a lot of grief raising children who then may become taxpayers contributing to the public weal.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:13 PM

7,660 posts, read 8,737,416 times
What about a 19 year old without children, whether married or not?
What about people who just lost their only child to illness?
Does an 18 year old unmarried parent has more voting rights than a mature married couple without children?
So the childless people do not get tax exemptions, and do not get to vote?

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-04-2023 at 12:42 PM..

Old 07-04-2023, 12:16 PM

19,693 posts, read 12,270,002 times
Quote:
I have had similar thoughts but on a much smaller scale and in regards to local politics. I think having kids gives you a much wider perspective on life. I know childless folks will take great offense to that but it’s something that I believe wholeheartedly. Your life changes pretty much overnight when you have kids as does your perspective.
OF course your life changes, like it does with other big life events. Doesn't automatically make anyone wiser though.

What if you lose your child and go from childed to childless, do you get a free pass or does perspective change back to whatever it was supposed to have been before?

Old 07-04-2023, 12:25 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,776,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
OF course your life changes, like it does with other big life events. Doesn't automatically make anyone wiser though.

What if you lose your child and go from childed to childless, do you get a free pass or does perspective change back to whatever it was supposed to have been before?
No, of course losing your child does not take away the perspective you gained as a parent and I’m sure such a traumatic thing wold give you a much deeper perspective on life that parents who have not lost children could never even dream of.

Of course there are exceptions but I think parenting chnages your perspective in major ways that other life events just don’t.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:44 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 12 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,606,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
No, voting rights should be limited to net taxpayers.
The US started out as a country where only propertied males had the right to vote. Close enough to "net taxpayers" to make no difference.

Wanna know why almost all citizens (barring in a few states, the incarcerated) have the right to vote? It's because without that right to vote, government will not represent their best interests. If you think that those who pay only sales taxes ought to have the right to vote, then just come out and say you believe in a plutocracy and not a democracy, or even representative republic (for those who care to make the distinction).

Besides, history shows that an unenfranchised group within a country eventually raises hell within that country - and tends to cause a lot of property damage and (even worse) dead bodies.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:44 PM

7,660 posts, read 8,737,416 times
Would make sense and be fair only if the elected officials only make decisions that affect only future generations and not the current ones.

Another question: Would a childless person be eligible as election candidate? If they don't have voting rights, how can they be candidates or hold office at all?

Old 07-04-2023, 12:46 PM

50,945 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
You can cherry pick all you want but I don't think it can be argued that childless retirees' benefits aren't paid for by the children of others. Parents go through a lot of grief raising children who then may become taxpayers contributing to the public weal.
What does childlessness have to do with people who pay high income taxes getting more Medicare and SS benefits? That's the post I responded to.

Old 07-04-2023, 12:48 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,801,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
The US started out as a country where only propertied males had the right to vote. Close enough to "net taxpayers" to make no difference.

Wanna know why almost all citizens (barring in a few states, the incarcerated) have the right to vote? It's because without that right to vote, government will not represent their best interests. If you think that those who pay only sales taxes ought to have the right to vote, then just come out and say you believe in a plutocracy and not a democracy, or even representative republic (for those who care to make the distinction).

Besides, history shows that an unenfranchised group within a country eventually raises hell within that country - and tends to cause a lot of property damage and (even worse) dead bodies.
And that's how you get a mobocracy in which people vote themselves other people's money.

You can't have universal representation without universal, uniform taxation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies