Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 09:10 AM

10,918 posts, read 4,573,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Problem is a relative you see weekly or never heard of is voluntarily giving away the family dna to these ancestry or dna testing sites.

The feds will go buy your family's dna and take it from there. Too many don't understand or get the implications of having their dna out there. It's also ignorant of them to give away what should be private family information.

good dang point.....outed by uncle bill! who btw is a leftist, proud of his spitting on and protesting against vietnam repatriates...(I never claimed ALL of my family are upstanding...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2023, 09:43 AM

6,149 posts, read 3,369,265 times
I have zero problems with the government having my DNA, or anyone’s DNA.

In fact, they’ve had mine for decades. I was DNA banked in the military about 25 years ago or so.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:50 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,215,398 times
This is a tough one...

I have often thought having my DNA tested for ancestry and health reasons would be cool. But to think it is essentially "gifted" to the government? Oh HELL no!

I can see them using it to determine taxes, health insurance costs...probably a bunch more.

No thanks.

It's a shame there is no real privacy anymore.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:25 AM

7,442 posts, read 3,870,230 times
As far as I know, no one has my DNA (unless they take it from my blood tests without my consent at my yearly physical.)

The Feds have had my fingerprints since I was a teenager because my first job required a security clearance. This was during the year I took off between high school and college.

But I don't have any plans to leave my DNA or fingerprints at a crime scene, since I have no plans to commit a crime.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
FBI wants your DNA
They have been doing that even since DNA testing was discovered, and quite a few crimes have been solved using it.

I take it you'd prefer the database destroyed. Yes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Collecting 'evidence' without an associated crime?
Did someone knock on your door to collect yours? As far as I'm aware they collect them from crime suspects, or those who are involved in other ways.

I know they have my fingerprints because of CCW permit application. So what

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 08-30-2023 at 10:44 AM..

Old 08-30-2023, 10:35 AM

30,195 posts, read 11,840,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
if you ever plan to, or might commit a crime, it is just DUMB to GIVE your DNA, what most people do not know is that when you have blood given as part of a TEST, DNA samples are added into the database now as of late 2021. so even if you do NOT 23 and me...they still have it.
That is a good PSA for aspiring criminals. Maybe you could do a YouTube video for them. Not enough good mentors these days.

I did 23 and me. Found a half brother I did not know existed. Never committed a crime and nothing like that is on my bucket list. But thanks for the free advice.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:40 AM

7,945 posts, read 3,490,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I have zero problems with the government having my DNA, or anyone’s DNA.

In fact, they’ve had mine for decades. I was DNA banked in the military about 25 years ago or so.
Well bully for you. And thank you for presuming what the rest of us should be OK with.

Anyone saying "if you don't or never will(how can you know that?) commit a crime you shouldn't mind this" are forgetting that we have no idea what will be considered a crime in the future, and nowadays a lot of the new rules are effectively retroactive.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:50 AM

45,249 posts, read 26,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
That is a good PSA for aspiring criminals. Maybe you could do a YouTube video for them. Not enough good mentors these days.

I did 23 and me. Found a half brother I did not know existed. Never committed a crime and nothing like that is on my bucket list. But thanks for the free advice.
Of course you’ve committed a crime, everyone has.

I don’t want any entity to have my DNA without my permission,but I’d rather GM or Apple have my DNA than a criminal org like the fed govt who can use it ruin my life.

Having said that, I think that ship has sailed and if they don’t already have they will get it.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:51 AM

10,243 posts, read 6,333,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

These people need to go on the CD Genealogy Forum. DNA is ONLY from BLOOD? lol If you had 23 and me, or any other genealogy testing, you SPIT into a tube. No spit on any container you have drank from? Never sneezed into a tissue? Hair! Can get DNA from your hairbrush as well.

I would never take "advice" from someone who knows nothing about where DNA comes from.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:59 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,797,180 times

Revelation 13:17. that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark or the name of the beast or the number of his name.

But how would they keep track??

A new supercomputer just passed a major milestone. It is the first to officially reach the “exascale.” That means it can perform at least 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 calculations per second. You can simply refer to that as a quintillion calculations per second! The new computer is called Frontier.

So this kind of answers that question about how the government could track us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies