Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 04:11 PM

15,823 posts, read 6,532,470 times

Advertisements

Dodging the political hot potato is probably a smart move on the part of SCOTUS. It should take more time to decide that type of issue. My perspective is that the actual prosecutions of DJT should have begun much earlier; probably back in 2021. Waiting this long may prove to be a strategic error.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:14 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,095,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Dodging the political hot potato is probably a smart move on their part. It should take more time to decide that type of issue.
They are following the rule of law.

By the time June rolls around Trump will once again be fully in command of the Republican Party. Let any court in the land try to prosecute him then.

Pathetic.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:18 PM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
"Insurrection" is political nonsense put out by the left.

This case is about a lot more than Trump.
I guess trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power is just nonsense. Just today we heard he called the Michigan officials and asked them not to certify the results, I think he did the same from Pence. I would hope no president would have immunity from these types of actions.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:22 PM

2,132 posts, read 1,204,558 times
Default Say what?

First off, there is no such thing as Trump's Immunity case.

Which makes it logical that something of substance be brought before SCOTUS before they have standing to look at it. It is not proper to ask them if he has absolute immunity. They should have said that.

Derailing a prosecution without the facts known is insane. What could eventually end up properly before them are specific arguments started by the defendant when he is convicted of things. An important unknown is if any stays will be placed while that is being sorted out.

Regards the current claims being argued about immunity the notion of absolute should fail a priori. The appeals court could essentially also turn this down for the above reasons, even if they have to sit through some presentations.

There was no gamble extraordinary or otherwise made by Smith. Nothing was lost by the prosecution and nothing was gained by the defense for this attempt. The only possible results were nothing or good for the prosecution to avoid the delay flack being thrown up. Streamline things. The guy is going to prison for the rest of his natural life, assuming he doesn't win the espionage death penalty when everything is known. We still haven't found all the documents.

From now until the cell door slams behind him he will do everything he can afford to avoid the eventual inevitable.

Old 12-22-2023, 04:40 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 24 days ago)

27,638 posts, read 16,120,970 times
Standard procedure. Theres only one reason the left is having a cow about it.

Last edited by saltine; 12-22-2023 at 05:08 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 04:54 PM

9,976 posts, read 5,673,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Hedging his bets. Now, once the Appeals Court rules against Trump and his subsequent appeal is rejected, he will have a far more difficult time appealing his conviction.
Uhm, whut? How are his chances of successfully appealing his conviction be any different whether the USSC heard the case right now or after the district court hears the appeal (or not at all after said appeal)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Jack Smith knows exactly what he’s doing. Trump is barely treading water.
Oh, okay.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:01 PM

18,050 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
My perspective is that the actual prosecutions of DJT should have begun much earlier; probably back in 2021. Waiting this long may prove to be a strategic error.
I was thinking this too, earlier. Litigation at these levels (appeal courts and ultimately USSC) is not generally fast-moving. While it seemed a year+ may have been enough time, I'm not sure about that.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:04 PM

6,569 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I guess trying to stop the peaceful transfer of power is just nonsense. Just today we heard he called the Michigan officials and asked them not to certify the results, I think he did the same from Pence. I would hope no president would have immunity from these types of actions.
There's always going to be the next leaked call, or whatever.

BTW I hope you are doing well with your health

Old 12-22-2023, 05:06 PM

57,238 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
The Democrats have set several terrible precedents in their insane efforts to destroy Trump.

The worst one of all is now all future administrations have the moral right to go after the previous administration, including the president, his staff, and anyone associated with his administration.

The Democrats set that precedent and it will come back to haunt all future administrations from here on out.

Yeah, ok. This is just a run of the mill ruling on whether a president has a right to refuse to accept an election and overthrow hi own government. But your right, democrats will be unable to take the same actions that Trump did after he lost the elections, I guess that's a bad thing?

Trump the victim once again.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:12 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
He may lose that date. Sorry Jack.

Poor wittle Jack. Things now quite working out for him. That's what happens when you are evil.
Specifically, why do you feel that Jack Smith is evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies