Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 03:02 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Crime is not down. REPORTED crime is down. If they fail to prosecute, it is dismissed. Every flash mob is a 100X crime spurt that goes unpunished. Every vagrant sleeping on the street is committing a crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have any statistics on unreported crime?
If person "A" intentionally kills person "B" and the killing is never reported to the authorities, then it is not a reported crime. Did a murder actually occur? I don't think we can go by statistics alone in determining if a place is safe. Anecdotes and perceptions need to be combined with statistics to give an accurate picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 04:22 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
I already presented the crime stats, they are down although there were several very violent incidents.

Mostly Fox but also other networks, how many times did we have to see the beatings in the subway and the cops being attacked. The governor reacted to the public perception that the subways are unsafe but it is an overreaction and I don't expect it to amount to much, it might very well make people feel less safe. Memphis and Jacksonville are far more dangerous but it is important to instill confidence in the subway system, it's key to the city.

I watch a number of different networks for perspective including Fox, the different ways news is presented is interesting.

The reality is crime is down and that's not opinion, public perception is another story.
So Hochul is spending millions of dollars because of public perception?

Old 03-09-2024, 04:26 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,586,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Nah, Goodnight was blaming Fox News for the NG deployment

Now it’s the public “perception”

I am pleasantly surprised he didn’t blame Trump for this…at least not yet

Old 03-09-2024, 05:12 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Correct!

Old 03-09-2024, 05:15 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times
Quote:
Correct!
Gotcha. So Governor Hochul is wasting money to make her city, and therefore herself, look better. Good to know.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:17 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I thought their primary purpose there was to help stop crime in/on the subway system. The policy/presence didn't stop a person from being pushed into a subway car today. Domestic dispute ends with woman being pushing into subway car.

https://nypost.com/2024/03/09/us-new...end-push-cops/
sickening. I hope he gets an extremely long jail term.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:18 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
If person "A" intentionally kills person "B" and the killing is never reported to the authorities, then it is not a reported crime. Did a murder actually occur? I don't think we can go by statistics alone in determining if a place is safe. Anecdotes and perceptions need to be combined with statistics to give an accurate picture.
Certainly, there are unreported crimes but if you use a few anecdotes to base your opinion then is that in any way factual. One crime sticks in my memory of the son of a Utah woman attending the US open stabbed and killed in the subway in the 1990's attempting to stop his mother being robbed, should that be the guide.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...432-story.html

Old 03-09-2024, 05:21 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Gotcha. So Governor Hochul is wasting money to make her city, and therefore herself, look better. Good to know.
At the same time making an ass out of herself because they were saying crime is down, the same, whatever, and it was all nothing but right wing fear mongering.
So which is it Fürher Höchul? Is crime up? Or is it down?
Or are you admitting you’re wasting tax payer dollars for the feels?

Old 03-09-2024, 05:58 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Certainly, there are unreported crimes but if you use a few anecdotes to base your opinion then is that in any way factual. One crime sticks in my memory of the son of a Utah woman attending the US open stabbed and killed in the subway in the 1990's attempting to stop his mother being robbed, should that be the guide.
I did not say use only a few anecdotes, I said combine anecdotes with statistics. Don't twist my words.

Old 03-09-2024, 05:58 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
At the same time making an ass out of herself because they were saying crime is down, the same, whatever, and it was all nothing but right wing fear mongering.
So which is it Fürher Höchul? Is crime up? Or is it down?
Or are you admitting you’re wasting tax payer dollars for the feels?
NYPD reported an almost 50% increase in subway crime in January 2024.
I doubt the FBI has those numbers yet.

Is NYPD now run by the "right wing" ?

https://abc7ny.com/subway-crime-nyc-...ault/14381702/
According to the NYPD, there were 570 reports of felony assault on trains or in stations in 2023, that's the highest number in more than 20 years and a 53% jump from pre-pandemic levels.

And just a year ago...Jan 2023

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...-public-safety
Crime Rate on Subway Returning to Pre-Pandemic Levels
Second Lowest Level of Transit Crime in Any January Since 1993

So what changed in that one year ?
Maybe 175,000 illegals ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies