Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 05:00 PM

12,960 posts, read 9,473,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
We've been hammered with weather two years in a row. Last year's potholes were so much worse than this year's, but the potholes are still pretty bad this year. I popped the tire on my car on a pothole about a month ago, and still haven't been able to replace the tire, due to a shortage of that specific, and apparently rare, tire size.

I actually filled in a pothole in front of my house last week. It wan't really planned, I was cleaning out the garage, and found two buckets of driveway repair asphalt (or whatever it is called). I didn't want it, so used it to fill in the pothole. So far, so good.
You'll probably be fined now. If the city/county/state doesn't fix it, what's the issue with residents doing it at their own expense? Officials might claim it's not done to their standards, but the ones fixed by road crews don't last very long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 05:06 PM

4,377 posts, read 1,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
You'll probably be fined now. If the city/county/state doesn't fix it, what's the issue with residents doing it at their own expense? Officials might claim it's not done to their standards, but the ones fixed by road crews don't last very long.
To be fair, I have called in a pothole in my street, and they were out filling it later the same day. I havent called this one in yet. I just filled it because I was trying to get rid of the stuff in my garage.

Old 03-30-2024, 05:09 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I agree overall but the street in question seems more residential than highway although delivery trucks probably drive thru the neighborhood enough. Local deliveries using an suv, van or small truck probably contributing.
I just meant that at 1% of all vehicles, EVs are not responsible for street damage.

Beyond that, this story is about residents filling in potholes. EV owners tend to be wealthier and live in subdivisions where politicians are more conserned about making sure they have good streets, police protection, schools, etc.

People filling in their own potholes sort of screams "low income" to me, and they don't drive EVs. I am pretty sure Compton is not an upscale neighborhood full of Teslas.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:56 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I just meant that at 1% of all vehicles, EVs are not responsible for street damage.

Beyond that, this story is about residents filling in potholes. EV owners tend to be wealthier and live in subdivisions where politicians are more conserned about making sure they have good streets, police protection, schools, etc.

People filling in their own potholes sort of screams "low income" to me, and they don't drive EVs. I am pretty sure Compton is not an upscale neighborhood full of Teslas.

Tesla is a very common vehicle in Los Angeles county, and neighborhood doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.
They are everywhere, including Compton.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:27 PM

4,154 posts, read 4,170,113 times
It is bad paving job that created the potholes. You need to wonder how the money is spend on those paving job

Old 03-31-2024, 06:58 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,048,028 times
A full tractor trailer does the equivalent to 400 passenger automobiles stress wise to a road surface.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:33 AM

9,839 posts, read 4,623,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
It is bad paving job that created the potholes. You need to wonder how the money is spend on those paving job
I think part of it's removing a lot of the voc's from the asphalts and sealers. On the deeper pot holes they probably should put a layer of larger stones, compact it then the asphalt. I see repair crews just dumping asphalt in the same holes1/2 dozen times a year.

Also it's best to get the holes early. I've seen fist size holes turn into a plate size hole in less than a week. Every time a car or truck runs over/in them they deteriorate the edges of the hole

Old 03-31-2024, 07:54 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is not EVs.

EVs are 1% of all passenger cars.

18,000 pound semi-tractor trailers are 10% of the traffic on many freeways. I am not saying they are 10% of traffic on city streets, but they cause WAY more damage than EVs. They don't drive through residential neighborhoods, but they are all over main thoroughfares and anywhere there is retail.

One 18-wheeled semi causes the same amount of pavement damage as 1000 cars. But even bobtail delivery trucks can run 12,000 pounds empty to 20,000 lbs loaded.

A UPS or Amazon delivery truck will run north of 15,000 pounds fully loaded.

Trucks do WAY more damage than EVs could ever dream of doing. By a long shot.

Of course water is a big cause of damage. Semis + rain = damge. So during winter, you get a ton of potholes caused by 18-wheeled semis.

Look how well roads hold up in arid desert areas without the damage caused by rain. When pavement gets wet and then heavy trucks roll over the pavement, you get cracks, potholes, and damage.
Semi’s when loaded (most are) can be up to 80,000 pounds. I watch a Montreal heavy load guy on YouTube. His bigger trailer alone weights 100k pounds. Some of his loads with trailer are close to 200k or maybe even over 200k. One was 180ft long. Took him over a week to go from Montreal to Dallas area. He planned 3 weeks for the trip and back.

Old 04-01-2024, 01:07 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Only $25 Billion? I wonder how many rainbow crosswalks were painted? I wonder how many studies were done to determine if streets, bridges and sidewalks were somehow Racist?

It's really crazy that people pay so much in taxes and the services such as road repair is drying up? Where is the money going?

When the elected fail to act it falls to the People to step up and this goes for crime as well.

I wonder if the elected in Compton are upset because the residents are proving that they do not need the bloated Government to do something?
Ahahaha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies