Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2024, 07:59 AM

9,844 posts, read 4,626,999 times

Advertisements

Compton California has told residents to stop filling potholes after residents started repairing them on their own after too many related bills/damage to their cars

https://abc17news.com/cnn-regional/2...-on-their-own/

And yet that record breaking Infrastructure Bill gave California 25 BILLION dollars for road repair on top of state and local budgets.

https://www.sfgate.com/california-po...t-16623346.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 08:26 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Only $25 Billion? I wonder how many rainbow crosswalks were painted? I wonder how many studies were done to determine if streets, bridges and sidewalks were somehow Racist?

It's really crazy that people pay so much in taxes and the services such as road repair is drying up? Where is the money going?

When the elected fail to act it falls to the People to step up and this goes for crime as well.

I wonder if the elected in Compton are upset because the residents are proving that they do not need the bloated Government to do something?

Old 03-30-2024, 08:43 AM

Have to wonder if the heavier ev's are contributing to some of that pothole damage.

Also when one searches for infrastructure in California come across numerous press releases from the state government on how many ev charging stations they have completed yet don't see stats of how many miles of road they repaired or repaved. Or the number pot holes filled.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:35 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,530,298 times
Maybe they need pothole filling robots? (E.g. ARRES.)

Old 03-30-2024, 09:55 AM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Normally, a nino season drenches the state from top to bottom, then they go into a 7 year dry period. This year, they've been drenched from top to bottom with filled reservoirs, a duplicate of last year. Is this the future of California with climate change?

Small wonder there's potholes everywhere.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:25 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,207,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Maybe they need pothole filling robots? (E.g. ARRES.)

How about putting Illegals to work? We are already paying for the housing, food, healthcare and everything else so lets get something in exchange for our generosity. Put them to work.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:49 PM

4,379 posts, read 1,694,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Have to wonder if the heavier ev's are contributing to some of that pothole damage.

Also when one searches for infrastructure in California come across numerous press releases from the state government on how many ev charging stations they have completed yet don't see stats of how many miles of road they repaired or repaved. Or the number pot holes filled.
We've been hammered with weather two years in a row. Last year's potholes were so much worse than this year's, but the potholes are still pretty bad this year. I popped the tire on my car on a pothole about a month ago, and still haven't been able to replace the tire, due to a shortage of that specific, and apparently rare, tire size.

I actually filled in a pothole in front of my house last week. It wan't really planned, I was cleaning out the garage, and found two buckets of driveway repair asphalt (or whatever it is called). I didn't want it, so used it to fill in the pothole. So far, so good.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post

I actually filled in a pothole in front of my house last week. It wan't really planned, I was cleaning out the garage, and found two buckets of driveway repair asphalt (or whatever it is called). I didn't want it, so used it to fill in the pothole. So far, so good.
I've had to do similar. Didn't have to get asphalt repair but I've had to sweep stone and asphalt debris is holes at out driveway/road entrance for a year at this point. It last the longest if sweep in a lot wet stone and debris at same time which acts as temporary mortar or sticky asphalt. And our county charges an extra road tax on vehicle license and registration fee every year. Apparently not enough to fix potholes. The towns, state and county also fail to push local utilities to fix issues related to their digs and manholes not at street level which allows problems to grow.

One of the problems with asphalt over the last 20 years or so is they took too many voc's out of the fill whichj won't stick to the road or other debris as easily. Especially for residential for driveway crap. Until the turn of century if one sealed their driveway it could last 3-5 years and longer depending of vehicles and wear. The latex based stuff might last 3 years tops.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:15 PM

11,419 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post

It is not EVs.

EVs are 1% of all passenger cars.

18,000 pound semi-tractor trailers are 10% of the traffic on many freeways. I am not saying they are 10% of traffic on city streets, but they cause WAY more damage than EVs. They don't drive through residential neighborhoods, but they are all over main thoroughfares and anywhere there is retail.

One 18-wheeled semi causes the same amount of pavement damage as 1000 cars. But even bobtail delivery trucks can run 12,000 pounds empty to 20,000 lbs loaded.

A UPS or Amazon delivery truck will run north of 15,000 pounds fully loaded.

Trucks do WAY more damage than EVs could ever dream of doing. By a long shot.

Of course water is a big cause of damage. Semis + rain = damge. So during winter, you get a ton of potholes caused by 18-wheeled semis.

Look how well roads hold up in arid desert areas without the damage caused by rain. When pavement gets wet and then heavy trucks roll over the pavement, you get cracks, potholes, and damage.

Old 03-30-2024, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is not EVs.

EVs are 1% of all passenger cars.

18,000 pound semi-tractor trailers are 10% of the traffic on many freeways. I am not saying they are 10% of traffic on city streets, but they cause WAY more damage than EVs. They don't drive through residential neighborhoods, but they are all over main thoroughfares and anywhere there is retail.

One 18-wheeled semi causes the same amount of pavement damage as 1000 cars. But even bobtail delivery trucks can run 12,000 pounds empty to 20,000 lbs loaded.

A UPS or Amazon delivery truck will run north of 15,000 pounds fully loaded.

Trucks do WAY more damage than EVs could ever dream of doing. By a long shot.

Of course water is a big cause of damage. Semis + rain = damge. So during winter, you get a ton of potholes caused by 18-wheeled semis.

Look how well roads hold up in arid desert areas without the damage caused by rain. When pavement gets wet and then heavy trucks roll over the pavement, you get cracks, potholes, and damage.
I agree overall but the street in question seems more residential than highway although delivery trucks probably drive thru the neighborhood enough. Local deliveries using an suv, van or small truck probably contributing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies