Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2024, 06:10 PM

8,214 posts, read 3,483,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
And the fact that the witnesses lied? Would that fall under court errors? The jury would have convicted based on false testimony.
Probably not.

However, if they really added charges without notice, that might make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2024, 06:15 PM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Well I'm not a lawyer, I'm just a regular person who watched a video of a bunch of drunk teens and a drunk older man who escalated things for no reason.

Were the teens charged with anything? Because they should have been it.
No they are not.

One brother of mine is an attorney, so is one good friend of mine. I talked to both of them very briefly about this case, both of them said now that miu is convicted, these people can sue him in the civil court and win. Miu probanly has to pay for the damages he caused as well.

Old 04-13-2024, 06:58 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
And the fact that the witnesses lied? Would that fall under court errors? The jury would have convicted based on false testimony.
Witness testimony is always up to the jury to decide if a witness is truthful, not truthful, or how much weight, if any, to give to any witness testimony. No, not a court error.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:04 PM

18,047 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Is this post copied from The Onion?

Unbiased source? Like the New York Times or CNN? Please go find even one.

Responsible media representatives? Who decides "responsible"?

Jurors should research? Because the internet search engines are fair, responsible and unbiased (if you pay).

People who know what they're talking about? Again, who decides?

Jurors should discuss the case before all the evidence is presented? Yeah- let's decide before we know the whole story.
Yeah, jurors are given very strict rules to follow, and they take an oath to follow the rules given to them by the judge. During voir dire, both sides question each potential juror to determine any biases, whether they can be impartial, if they'll follow the rules of the court and the judge, etc.

- Jurors are absolutely NOT to research anything at all about the case or anyone in the case. Nothing. Nada. Not even a little.
- Jurors are instructed NOT to read about the case, nor watch anything about the case, not allow anyone to talk to them about the case or even ask them what case they're on.
- Jurors are told every day, several times each day, NOT to discuss the case with anyone, not at home, not at work, not on social media, not with family, not with friends, not even among themselves. The judge reminds them of this, often.
- Jurors are instructed they are only to use the evidence presented to them *in court* and that's it!
- Jurors are not to deliberate or make up their minds about the case until they've heard ALL the evidence, and until they, as a jury, are instructed by the judge to begin their deliberations after they've been read the jury instructions.

There are pattern jury instructions that are read to them, in detail, at the end of the trial, before they are sent to their jury room to begin deliberations.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:01 PM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, many lawyers are surprised that miu was convicted 1st degree reckless homicide, just saying.
That means the evidence was strong or his attorney did a poor job of defending him.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:26 PM

3,385 posts, read 1,542,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
That means the evidence was strong or his attorney did a poor job of defending him.
his attorney did a decent job now I know leftys are evil.

Old 04-14-2024, 12:40 AM

1,871 posts, read 647,868 times
So in Wisconsin, if a woman is being raped, best to suffer than to exercise self defense.

Old 04-14-2024, 05:13 AM

3,385 posts, read 1,542,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderic View Post
So in Wisconsin, if a woman is being raped, best to suffer than to exercise self defense.
there is a chance she might get in trouble for defending herself. backwards logic if you ask me.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:35 AM

15,416 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
his attorney did a decent job now I know leftys are evil.
If the defense attorney did "a decent job" then the prosecution evidence was too strong to overcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
there is a chance she might get in trouble for defending herself. backwards logic if you ask me.
Not true. A woman being raped is far different than a man stabbing people to death for no reason(I do not believe Miu is innocent). A woman being raped will not be convicted in the same manner.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:53 AM

19,613 posts, read 12,212,859 times
I hold mature adults to a higher standard than teens and young adults. Experience and maturity should have told that man to retreat at the first sign of the drunk kids yelling and taunting him. I think most of us would have done just that. Just like road rage, don't engage, certainly don't escalate, leave at the first opportunity. That is what grownups do.

Drunk kids with little life experience can't imagine the scenario that occurred, after Miu started stabbing they yelled that "this isn't real". That is the level of their understanding of the world. Mr. Miu had the advantage of life experience and the choice to walk away and took the wrong road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies