Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 05:01 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,370,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Up to the 1960s, the majority of Black Americans were either working class or poor. Black Americans have been dealing with high poverty rates for ages. It only started dropping after the 1960s.

One thing I've noticed is that few people ever ask this: "What's eating Black American men"?

I've seen that there is zeal in complaining about Black men. Zeal in pointing out the high violent crime rates among Black men. Zeal in pointing out the deadbeats among the Black male population. However, it's rarely ever mentioned that Black men are more likely to be unemployed than Black women. Far more emphasis is put on "Black men do so much bad stuff". Not as much is put on what many Black men have gone through.

Black American women are less likely to put up with any crap. One thing I consider is that Black women were more likely to work than women of other races. Black men have long dealt with higher unemployment rates than men of other ethnicities. Some women who were already having problems with their men (cheating,abuse,etc) found it easy to divorce their husbands. If said women were working, they expected more from their men. If said men were abusive, alcoholic,or unfaithful , a woman with a job could just pull the plug on said marriage. The way she saw it, said man wasn't contributing, and was more burden than help to the family.

Historically, Black families had to have both the husband and wife working. That was survival at a time when Black men had trouble getting the high-paying jobs. It meant more incentive to behave in a marriage. However, some men still fell short.

The divorce rate among Black Americans has been higher than for other groups for a long time, long before the 1960s. It was especially pronounced as more Black Americans started leaving the rural South for the northern and west coast cities. Some Black families found themselves far away from community institutions that would keep a lid on divorce and broken families.

I mentioned earlier that we rarely ask "What's eating Black men"? Black men have long been more likely to be put in positions where their ability to provide for their families gets challenged. Black men have long dealt with having a harder time getting jobs. Black women have lower unemployment rates than Black men. Black women have higher rates of university education attainment than Black men (and this is considering that Black males have seen a rise in college education attainment since the 1960s). I have to wonder if Black males aren't being encouraged as much to strive.

Who's supposed to encourage them? If white America does, you'd call it racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 06:29 AM

73,155 posts, read 62,859,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
Who's supposed to encourage them? If white America does, you'd call it racist.
There is alot more in that paragraph that is intended to be discussed, not just that one sentence you bolded

Old 05-15-2024, 07:05 AM

36,753 posts, read 31,049,568 times
Quote:
Up to the 1960s, the majority of Black Americans were either working class or poor. Black Americans have been dealing with high poverty rates for ages. It only started dropping after the 1960s.

One thing I've noticed is that few people ever ask this: "What's eating Black American men"?

I've seen that there is zeal in complaining about Black men. Zeal in pointing out the high violent crime rates among Black men. Zeal in pointing out the deadbeats among the Black male population. However, it's rarely ever mentioned that Black men are more likely to be unemployed than Black women. Far more emphasis is put on "Black men do so much bad stuff". Not as much is put on what many Black men have gone through.

Black American women are less likely to put up with any crap. One thing I consider is that Black women were more likely to work than women of other races. Black men have long dealt with higher unemployment rates than men of other ethnicities. Some women who were already having problems with their men (cheating,abuse,etc) found it easy to divorce their husbands. If said women were working, they expected more from their men. If said men were abusive, alcoholic,or unfaithful , a woman with a job could just pull the plug on said marriage. The way she saw it, said man wasn't contributing, and was more burden than help to the family.

Historically, Black families had to have both the husband and wife working. That was survival at a time when Black men had trouble getting the high-paying jobs. It meant more incentive to behave in a marriage. However, some men still fell short.

The divorce rate among Black Americans has been higher than for other groups for a long time, long before the 1960s. It was especially pronounced as more Black Americans started leaving the rural South for the northern and west coast cities. Some Black families found themselves far away from community institutions that would keep a lid on divorce and broken families.

I mentioned earlier that we rarely ask "What's eating Black men"? Black men have long been more likely to be put in positions where their ability to provide for their families gets challenged. Black men have long dealt with having a harder time getting jobs. Black women have lower unemployment rates than Black men. Black women have higher rates of university education attainment than Black men (and this is considering that Black males have seen a rise in college education attainment since the 1960s). I have to wonder if Black males aren't being encouraged as much to strive.
That is what I was getting at. I guess I used the cliff notes.

I don't think today men in general are getting encouragement to strive. Black men definitely not. The encouragement needs to come from Black male leaders of the community.
What I have seen from this generation as far as role models is certainly not sending the right message. Celebrities, sports figures/musicians boast of all the women they have, all the illegitimate children, glorifying being a player, etc.

Old 05-15-2024, 09:12 AM

4,941 posts, read 3,370,012 times
Quote:
There is alot more in that paragraph that is intended to be discussed, not just that one sentence you bolded

Unlike others, I'm not picking at you over historical facts. I'm questioning that specific comment, because that's what relevant today.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:10 AM

27,695 posts, read 28,815,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
First when you say lower-income families and affluent families do you mean blacks and whites because I dont think affluent families of any race ever had a high number of single-mother households.

Most studies attribute things like the unemployment rate of black men, the incarceration rate of black men, and educational differences in black men and black women. Also a smaller dating pool influenced by both unemployment and incarceration as well as perhaps that more black men marry interracially than do black women.

The divorce rate is also higher among blacks than whites. Perhaps back women having more struggles and being less valued historically than any other group (IMO) and fighting for their autonomy, independence and identities so hard, value it more and arent willing to put up with any crap from a husband.
Black men have a high incarceration rate because they commit a very disproportionate amount of crime.

Children who grow up in single-mother households are much more likely to commit crimes compared to children who grow up in two-parent households.

One thing that amazes me is that women who are bombarded by liberal and feminist ideas in college seem to lose any enthusiasm they had for those ideologies when they get married and have children.

Most women are quite content to bond with their children and understand the practical need to depend on their husbands to become the main breadwinner of the family. And these are mainly upper-middle class families we're talking about.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Black men have a high incarceration rate because they commit a very disproportionate amount of crime.

Children who grow up in single-mother households are much more likely to commit crimes compared to children who grow up in two-parent households.

One thing that amazes me is that women who are bombarded by liberal and feminist ideas in college seem to lose any enthusiasm they had for those ideologies when they get married and have children.

Most women are quite content to bond with their children and understand the practical need to depend on their husbands to become the main breadwinner of the family. And these are mainly upper-middle class families we're talking about.
How do you know that?
What makes you think women are bombarded with liberal and feminist ideas in college? Did all women go to Berkley in the 60's and 70's.

Old 05-16-2024, 06:54 AM

27,695 posts, read 28,815,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
How do you know that?
What makes you think women are bombarded with liberal and feminist ideas in college? Did all women go to Berkley in the 60's and 70's.
Liberal and feminist ideas are the modus operandi in nearly all of humanities and social science education in the United States.

Have you ever heard of a class even suggesting the idea that it is okay for a husband to be the breadwinner of the family when a wife has children?

The idea of gender roles is taught as being backwards in most colleges and universities. Except in maybe a few small religious institutions, but those are the exceptions.

Old 05-16-2024, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Liberal and feminist ideas are the modus operandi in nearly all of humanities and social science education in the United States.

Have you ever heard of a class even suggesting the idea that it is okay for a husband to be the breadwinner of the family when a wife has children?

The idea of gender roles is taught as being backwards in most colleges and universities. Except in maybe a few small religious institutions, but those are the exceptions.
No. Humanities courses that took I for a degree in biology (changed major from business): French, History, economics, political science, and psychology. Not one word spoken of feminist ideas. Dont know any women who studied feminist ideas in college, intentionally or otherwise.

Again you must think all women are liberals, attended Berkley majoring in humanities.

Now I do recall home economics in a rural HS being taught how to sew and cook, choose our dinnerware and be a good wife. At least by the time I attended, unlike my sister, we no longer were encouraged to start a hope chest.

I think perhaps more emphasis needs to be put on the men, bombarding them with masculine ideas like sobriety, monogamy, responsibility, providing, leading, and setting good examples.

I just read an article about a football player who gave a commencement speech at a Catholic school telling the women their main purpose or goal should be marriage and motherhood. I don't think he said any such thing to the males. Perhaps if the modus operandi was to encourage young men to prioritize marriage and fatherhood there wouldn't be so many single mothers, out of wedlock births and welfare.

Old 05-16-2024, 08:41 AM

24,816 posts, read 9,583,652 times
Quote:
I have to wonder if Black males aren't being encouraged as much to strive.
You can't legislate work ethic.

African immigrant blacks have shown us native blacks are just plain lazy.
Quote:
African immigrants to the US are among the most educated groups in the United States. Some 48.9 percent of all African immigrants hold a college diploma.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_Attainment

Old 05-16-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You can't legislate work ethic.

African immigrant blacks have shown us native blacks are just plain lazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa...nal_Attainment
I'm not sure your article supports your contention. It speaks of education, not work ethic. Not sure how much laziness has to do with education compared to family values, school systems, opportunity, funding.

I think when those around us have little expectations of us we tend to do the bare minimum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies