Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

Or just patience.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Or just patience.
33 years. I think many people have been as patient as they could be. Romania was ruled by Ceausescu for over 2 decades, and people revolted against him in 1989, the week before Christmas. As bad off as Romania was just as the revolution started, Zimbabwe is even worse off.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,790,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenofsix View Post
I'm happy they are free from colonialism
Has nothing to do with colonialism, your comment is just another anti-white statement based on lack of understanding. Working with the white farmers is necessary to insure economic development. The white population remains the most educated. But this is one example where white Zimbabweans should be allowed refugee status into the U.S.

Keep in mind, after apartheid in South Africa, the country was afraid of the white Afrikaners leaving, so laws were implemented, indicating they could leave, but not take anything with them, enticing them to stay and invest in the economic future of South Africa.

It is interesting that someone like yourself, would make a statement like that, and immigrate here from Asia, seems a bit hypocritical.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Has nothing to do with colonialism, your comment is just another anti-white statement based on lack of understanding. Working with the white farmers is necessary to insure economic development. The white population remains the most educated. But this is one example where white Zimbabweans should be allowed refugee status into the U.S.

Keep in mind, after apartheid in South Africa, the country was afraid of the white Afrikaners leaving, so laws were implemented, indicating they could leave, but not take anything with them, enticing them to stay and invest in the economic future of South Africa.

It is interesting that someone like yourself, would make a statement like that, and immigrate here from Asia, seems a bit hypocritical.
I look at the situation this way. Kicking out White people does no favors for Zimbabwe. However, I want to say this. There was not much effort under colonialism to prepare Blacks for a life outside of manual labor and dependence. I think a big part was short-sighted on the part of the colonial rulers.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:03 AM

164 posts, read 197,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Excellent non-sequitur.

I've never seen you post before, but I love the use of non-sequitur!

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post

Why in the hell should we allow White Zimbabweans to immigrate here? For what? They already have a homeland in Great Britain, and that's where they should return if they want to leave Africa. We don't need to import a privileged class of whites, many of whom are incredibly racist, into this country. We have enough problems without that.

Now i do agree with you that white farmers were the best hope for that nation's economic stability, but simply put, the white dominated government held on to power for too long. They should've been willing to share power while they had the opportunity to negotiate from a position of strength.

But no, they wouldn't do that. Subjugating native people is always untenable over the long haul. They should've known that, and did a land reform and power share before the house of cards fell.

So as a result...disaster. Sorry, but that's just how it goes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
33 years. I think many people have been as patient as they could be. Romania was ruled by Ceausescu for over 2 decades, and people revolted against him in 1989, the week before Christmas. As bad off as Romania was just as the revolution started, Zimbabwe is even worse off.
Many groups have had to wait longer. In any case, Mugabe won't live forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; IF there was a bunch of "white" people stirring up stuff in Rwanda, I'd agree. Tho tribe tensions CAN be "racism" but to us they're all "Black" as you said.
The Belgians screwed that place up and left it in such a state that it was gonna eventually fail anyway. Nations set up on artificially drawn borders made up by Europeans are gonna have it tough. Just like you can't expect the French, Germans, and Poles to share power fairly in an artificially set up state with borders made up by outsiders, you shouldn't expect Africans to behave any different. They have tribal loyalties no different than Europeans do. And in the wake of WW2, we know how seriously Europeans take tribalism when they get pissed off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I think pretty much every Belgian colony end up worse than before Belgium got there
Ain't that the truth.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:31 AM

156 posts, read 116,334 times
The Chinese are practically invading Africa currently yet people are here dogging on Europeans.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Many groups have had to wait longer. In any case, Mugabe won't live forever.
Perhaps, but sometimes, waiting is a waste. Sometimes you have to revolt right away. If African-Americans in the USA had waited any longer before protesting poor treatment, well, I believe history would have turned out different, and not in a good way.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archon445 View Post
The Chinese are practically invading Africa currently yet people are here dogging on Europeans.

The Chinese government isn't in charge of Africa. They are in charge of building things. And alot of people don't know the influence China is having in Africa. The

Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Don't start farm in Zimbabwe.

Problem solved.
No, problem not solved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies