Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its not about pride, its about not spitting in the face of God in a time when we need His blessings more than ever. In the 1960s, seperate but equal was anything but equal. Today, however, civil unions and marriage can be made completely equal while keeping God out of it.

Forget 2008. Lets go back to 1958, when we as a nation had morals, decency, and the highest respect for the nuclear family and we were still one nation under God. And remember those times - things were actually going good for America in that era. We must have been doing something right! What people today call "progress" isn't progress at all.
Have you read your own post?

The partner had a power of attorney. She should have been allowed to visit the dying patient. Letting that woman die alone IS spitting in the face of God and all HIS mercy.

You are right about one thing...the hospital's administration and the doctors need all the help God can give them because they sure are mean jackasses. And every last one of them is going straight to hell well ahead of any gay/lesbian person. I say that as a Christian heterosexual married woman and mother of four.

Marriage is a civil contract and it can be entered into in a court of law and it takes a civil court of law to dissolve it. You're right: God does not have to be brought into it so why do you?

How can you call Jim Crow laws moral and decent? These laws were very much in place and enforced in 1958.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Have you read your own post?

The partner had a power of attorney. She should have been allowed to visit the dying patient. Letting that woman die alone IS spitting in the face of God and all HIS mercy.

You are right about one thing...the hospital's administration and the doctors need all the help God can give them because they sure are mean jackasses. And every last one of them is going straight to hell well ahead of any gay/lesbian person. I say that as a Christian heterosexual married woman and mother of four.

Marriage is a civil contract and it can be entered into in a court of law and it takes a civil court of law to dissolve it. You're right: God does not have to be brought into it so why do you?

How can you call Jim Crow laws moral and decent? These laws were very much in place and enforced in 1958.
I agree that she should have been allowed to see her partner. That was wrong of them. My comments were about gay marriage vs. civil unions.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:15 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
If you want dignity and respect, you can start by putting some clothes on and stopping the public sex orgies you call "pride parades" and show America you really are normal, decent citizens.
Ya know, if you Christians want dignity and respect and want people to take you seriously, you can start by staying away from the funerals of dead soldiers while holding up signs that say "God Hates F*GS" and show America you really are normal, decent citizens.

How does it feel to be compared to an extreme minority that gets themselves on TV?

Regardless, since when do I, as a taxpaying citizen of this country, have to prove anything to YOU in order to "earn" my RIGHTS?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:16 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
I agree that she should have been allowed to see her partner. That was wrong of them. My comments were about gay marriage vs. civil unions.
The entire point of the thread is that if they were LEGALLY MARRIED, there would be no Power of Attorney needed in order for her to see her partner. It would be automatic.

So for all those who like to tell gays and lesbians to just "protect their families" by visiting an attorney, well a lot of good it did this family, huh?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:23 AM

472 posts, read 1,544,410 times
Quote:
If you want dignity and respect, you can start by putting some clothes on and stopping the public sex orgies you call "pride parades" and show America you really are normal, decent citizens.
::: Mouth hanging wide-the-f**k open :::

I see you watch Q.U.E.E.R As Folk. No worries, I won't tell anyone. Your statement clearly shows that you do not know ANY gay people ... well, at least not me. I could list a bunch of inflamatory things that religious people do... but you have already given a case-in-point demonstration of that. Good Job! Plus, I don't judge the character of individuals based on televised stereotypes. Go watch girls gone wild, then get back to me about putting some clothes on and public sex orgies. Those are your straight comrades doing all that foolishness. Maybe we should restrict their marriage rights?

Please make a tax-deductible contribution to my non-profit organization:

MIRRORS for HYPOCRITES
"Helping hypocrites reach reality one mirror at a time"

Old 07-03-2008, 12:24 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
I find their action outrageous. She had the power of attorney and should have been allowed access to her mate. I agree, if marriage was allowed and recognized then this would never have happened.

For those of you who are not gay, ask yourself what if you find yourself with no family nearby but a close friend who has power of attorney over you. This hospitals rash decision and disregard for the power of attorney would mean your own wishes set down in writing would be disregarded.

I don't blame them for suing the hospital. Clearly the hospital was high handed and completely WRONG in their action, the only way to draw attention to it and change it for the future is to sue them. They will never admit they were wrong unless this is done and this is the only way to motivate change.

I am ashamed of my state that this kind of action is sanctioned.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I find their action outrageous. She had the power of attorney and should have been allowed access to her mate. I agree, if marriage was allowed and recognized then this would never have happened.

For those of you who are not gay, ask yourself what if you find yourself with no family nearby but a close friend who has power of attorney over you. This hospitals rash decision and disregard for the power of attorney would mean your own wishes set down in writing would be disregarded.

I don't blame them for suing the hospital. Clearly the hospital was high handed and completely WRONG in their action, the only way to draw attention to it and change it for the future is to sue them. They will never admit they were wrong unless this is done and this is the only way to motivate change.

I am ashamed of my state that this kind of action is sanctioned.
To add insult to injury, they are now proposing Amendment 2 "The Marriage Protection Amendment." Have you had the chance to glance over that piece of work? It is disgusting. Here is the wording:

"Inasmuch as a marriage is the legal union of only one man and one woman as husband and wife, no other legal union that is treated as marriage or the substantial equivalent thereof shall be valid or recognized."

If passed, the amendment will ban all recognition and benefits for unmarried couples, straight and gay. It will block civil unions, domestic partnership and repeal existing protections and family benefits relied upon by millions of Floridians.

The amendment would have an especially harsh impact on Florida''s large senior population, many of whom form domestic partnerships rather than remarry after they are widowed in order not to risk losing essential benefits. Same-sex couples, who are already denied the right to marry by law, would now be denied the right to any kind of meaningful legal protection. The vague language in the amendment, "the substantial equivalent thereof", will plunge Florida into lawsuits, much as has happened in other states. In every instance around the country, those behind these amendments immediately seek to have it interpreted in the most restrictive way possible for all unmarried people.

Is this what we have come to? Do we hate gays so much that we would rather see them, and their small children drop dead without health care benefits? Or our un-married grandparents have to die alone? This is some sick sh^t.

Vote No on Florida Amendment 2. The Florida marriage amendment hurts families.

Last edited by gradco2004; 07-03-2008 at 12:42 AM.. Reason: Because Flori-duh Is Azz Backwards!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:43 AM

Oh... and this will give hate-mongering christian activists the go-ahead to sue private companies if they provide health care and adoption benefits for gay couples or un-married couples. So now, my co-worker's children will have to go un-insured. Or... she can insure them and they just starve for having to pay the extremely high premiums. Either way they lose.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:51 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
Oh... and this will give hate-mongering christian activists the go-ahead to sue private companies if they provide health care and adoption benefits for gay couples or un-married couples. So now, my co-worker's children will have to go un-insured. Or... she can insure them and they just starve for having to pay the extremely high premiums. Either way they lose.
I wonder when and if Disney is going to start beating their ample chest about this. They are a HUGE presence here in Florida in fact I think its fair to say that Florida relies ALOT on them and they are VERY gay friendly. They recognize same sex partners and give them insurance, they even cover through their mental health coverage, treatment for people transitioning from one sex to the other.

It frankly disgusts me this state is taking this action.

Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I wonder when and if Disney is going to start beating their ample chest about this. They are a HUGE presence here in Florida in fact I think its fair to say that Florida relies ALOT on them and they are VERY gay friendly. They recognize same sex partners and give them insurance, they even cover through their mental health coverage, treatment for people transitioning from one sex to the other.

It frankly disgusts me this state is taking this action.
Too bad for them. If this passes, they MUST cancel the benefits for their unmarried couples (gay or straight) or face legal action and financial penalities. Sad day... I'm so moving if this passes. Living with this isn't worth the tax breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies