Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 10:47 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
"It would be a very rude thing to do. That is the point. It was a metaphor. I don't actually have sex with non-human animals."
Humans are not classified as plants or minerals. What category is left? Robots? Did you know that humans can survive with pig's organs transplanted into them?

Quote:
^^^CougarBeach, what in the world do you mean by "non-human animals?"
Did you study any biology in school? Homo Sapiens Sapiens is of the animal kingdom, just as sheep, mice, and Mackerel are.

Quote:
Do you believe that humans evolved from monkeys or something?
You're referring to evolution, right? Wow, what a crazy idea that is? Who would believe such a thing?

No, I don't believe that humans evolved from monkeys, and nether does any educated person. I don't know what you mean by "or something".

Quote:
I'm kind of going out on a limb here CougarBeach, but I am thinking you are certainly a Democrat.
Are you saying that a person who understands things that you're ignorant of must be a lefty? That sounds rather prejudiced.

Here's a clue: there are a lot liberals who are very religious. The tend not to be fascistic about their faith, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:50 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
You're referring to evolution, right? Wow, what a crazy idea that is? Who would believe such a thing?

Your attempt at sarcasm has failed miserably with me - for, imho, the theory of evolution is full of more loopholes than a slice of Swiss Cheese.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:55 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Honestly, you are going way over board with this. No where in the OP's statement did he say anyone yoked him up by his ear and said "you little son-of-a-buscuit, you better get up and pray or we are going to beat the crap out of you", unless I missed that part. He simply said that most of the people got up and prayed before the meeting. Where is the forceful action at? You are getting so excited about a cause that really isn't a cause.

I got your point - you are not getting mine. YOU ARE WRONG - It is not illegal to say a prayer in the setting described by the OP. However inappropriate you may deem it. It did not violate anyones rights as you claim to have to sit and listen to this prayer. What would have violated rights would have been a statement by a board member saying "I will not listen to these proceedings without you participating in my prayer" - there has to be forceable action some where, there was none here. If he didn't want to stand for the pledge or for the prayer he didn't have to PERIOD. It is called a choice we all have one. No one can say I'll take a pass on that GANG RAPE, but maybe next time. The analogy is really gross and speaks a bit to your character.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:57 AM

Oh and while your at it, can you please show me case law (if you know what that is), where it states that this is illegal????

Old 03-27-2009, 11:12 AM

640 posts, read 1,823,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Honestly, you are going way over board with this. No where in the OP's statement did he say anyone yoked him up by his ear and said "you little son-of-a-buscuit, you better get up and pray or we are going to beat the crap out of you", unless I missed that part.
Who said he did?

Quote:
He simply said that most of the people got up and prayed before the meeting. Where is the forceful action at? You are getting so excited about a cause that really isn't a cause.
Don't put words in his mouth. This is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84
everyone was required to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Then, one of the board members who is a reverend, led everyone in a prayer! Isn't this illegal?
Quote:
I got your point - you are not getting mine. YOU ARE WRONG - It is not illegal to say a prayer in the setting described by the OP. However inappropriate you may deem it.
It is inappropriate and illegal. It is a violation of the establishment clause of the U.S. Constitution's first amendment. Just because something is done out of habit and hasn't been challenged doesn't mean it's legal.

Quote:
It did not violate anyones rights as you claim to have to sit and listen to this prayer.
Because you say so? Oh, okay, no need to explain why under the law. Your opinion is good enough for me.

[quote=Chelsa1075;8067974]What would have violated rights would have been a statement by a board member saying "I will not listen to these proceedings without you participating in my prayer" - there has to be forceable action some where, there was none here.[/qoute]

You are certainly wrong. Coercion does not have to be explicit. Have you ever heard of a politician who "expected" a bribe, even it it wasn't actually stated? Or one that didn't expect a bribe, but still didn't mind getting one?

Go look up the court decision from a few years ago that required the removal of the granite Ten Commandment statue that the chief justice of the Alabama State Supreme Court had put in place one night. Try to understand the reasoning behind that decision (Glassroth v. Moore). Google it.

Quote:
If he didn't want to stand for the pledge or for the prayer he didn't have to PERIOD. It is called a choice we all have one.
Sorry, you don't understand the law. You are wrong. I suggest you do a Google search of church/state separation issues, and try to understand the basis of the rulings that you clearly disagree with.

Quote:
No one can say I'll take a pass on that GANG RAPE, but maybe next time. The analogy is really gross and speaks a bit to your character.
You just don't get it. If a bunch of people get together and want to violate the law by violating the establishment clause, they don't get to -- at least not legally. The same goes for any other gang activity. If the idea of violation of rights doesn't resonate with you, then hopefully the simple idea of violation of the law will.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:16 AM

You do the search and get back to me - you may not like it, but it isn't illegal! Unless, the Attorneys in my office are wrong I'll go with that.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:21 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,867,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I think the people who do not want to pray should wait outside for those who do.
Maybe those that pray should do so outside on their own time, rather than at government meeting on government time.

What you propose is nothing more than an implicit endorsement of religion by government to the exclusion of others IMO.

Government ought to be neutral... if there existed a majority Athiest city, you think you'd be a bit upset about the city council initiating meetings with an affirmation that "there is no god"?

Same principle. I'm personally offended when anyone uses the air of government endorsement to bolster their religious beliefs. What's the matter? Are they too weak to stand on their own without being entangled in government and every other social institution you can squeeze them into?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Don't put words in his mouth. This is what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by illini84
everyone was required to stand and say the Pledge of Allegiance. Then, one of the board members who is a reverend, led everyone in a prayer! Isn't this illegal?

.................................................. .................................................. .

Hey cougar, I would be mindful of accepting the OP's assertion as totally accurate. I'm inclined to borrow some of your skepticism about the legality of prayer in governemnt places and the belief in Creationism and suggest that no one coerced the OP to pray, that he/she was indeed NOT REQUIRED to stand in PRAYER, he/she could have sat it out or pulled out a copy of the "Origin of Species" while the prayer was being said, and he/she would have been within their constitutional rights.

Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar Beach View Post
Humans are not classified as plants or minerals. What category is left? Robots? Did you know that humans can survive with pig's organs transplanted into them?

Did you study any biology in school? Homo Sapiens Sapiens is of the animal kingdom, just as sheep, mice, and Mackerel are.

No, I don't believe that humans evolved from monkeys, and nether does any educated person. I don't know what you mean by "or something".

Are you saying that a person who understands things that you're ignorant of must be a lefty? That sounds rather prejudiced.

Here's a clue: there are a lot liberals who are very religious. The tend not to be fascistic about their faith, though.
LOL, all the insults! I love it! I think you have pretty much insulted all of us, especially the ones that dont agree with you. My thing is, I dont really care. But you seem to be confusing two things; making your points (which you believe to be true) and being an a$$ to those who disagree.

CougarBeach, just out of curiosity, where are you from originally?

Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM

436 posts, read 1,089,262 times
On a lighter note... hey, if someone doesnt want to hear a Christian prayer, why do I have to be forced to listen to reggaeton everywhere I go in Orlando?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies