Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 10:51 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,876,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Non-responsive, lol. Weak. Typical of the rigid misogynist mindset.
cry me a river liberty hater. I've schooled you because I believe in the basic truth that man is free and ought to be able to do what ever the hell he pleases to do as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. you seem to have problems with this philosophy. you seem to have problems with freedom, thereby resorting to name calling and accusing me of misogyny. I win. You lose. It's blatently obvious at this point and no one can argue against the basic truth of freedom and the natural rights of mankind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:53 AM

1,385 posts, read 3,007,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
cry me a river liberty hater. I've schooled you because I believe in the basic truth that man is free and ought to be able to do what ever the hell he pleases to do as long as it doesn't infringe upon the rights of others. you seem to have problems with this philosophy. you seem to have problems with freedom, thereby resorting to name calling and accusing me of misogyny. I win. You lose. It's blatently obvious at this point and no one can argue against the basic truth of freedom and the natural rights of mankind.
Take a chill pill, from what I've seen you're the one who likes to call names and act childish

Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,670,066 times
TexianPatriot sounds like he's stealing lines from the Colbert Report, lol

Old 07-10-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Can you morally justify forcing someone to do something (provide contraceptives) against their will? There are plenty of people who would have filled the BC prescription. What right do you have to force anyone to do anything against their moral convictions? Does the state have the right to force an Atheist into tithing to the local church? Does the state have the right to force a Christian to attend a mosque? Does the state have the right to tell me I can't use certain drugs? Individual freedom. Liberty folks. I now alot of you guys hate it, but it's what made us the greatest nation this world has ever seen.
What if there is no one else there to prescribe the medication? Then the rights of the person attempting to fill a legal script are violated.

If people have such strong personal convictions relating to medications, then maybe the best place for them to work is not in a Pharmacy.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,276,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What if there is no one else there to prescribe the medication? Then the rights of the person attempting to fill a legal script are violated.
You find that situation - then get back to us.

For what you suggest is not going to happen - and you know it.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You find that situation - then get back to us.

For what you suggest is not going to happen - and you know it.
I have to find the websites - but there were several instances of that happening. One resulted in pregnancy, and subsequent abortion.

There have been several lawsuits filed due to this happening (no one at the pharmacy willing to fill the script, even though it was in stock)

I believe the website was a pharmacy worker specific one, I'll check my history and post back when I find it.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,585 times
Yeah, what newtoli said -- he posted while I was writing mine.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Pharmacists' Rights at Front Of New Debate (washingtonpost.com)

2nd page details one woman in rural america who could not find another pharmacy in time to fill the script (must be used w/i 72 hours).

There were more, just need the time to look in my internet history.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
I'm going to respond you just this final time, because I have no interest in exchanging insults with you. There are two people in this situation, a pharmacist and a women trying to get her prescription filled. As I have stated repeatedly on this thread, I haven't any issue with the pharmacist refusing to fill that prescription as long as the woman has a reasonable alternative way to get that prescription filled. It is only when she doesn't that I have a problem, because at that point you are pitting the rights of two individuals against one another. You seem unable to see that the woman has a life she wants to live as she pleases, just as the pharmacist does. You prefer to enforce his rights over hers, even though enforcing his rights can harm her. Birth control pills aren't just prescribed for birth control, they are hormonal medications that treat a range of problems. The pharmacist doesn't have any knowledge of what problem the birth control pills are supposed to address. So I think in a health matter, I would side with the person who is trying to protect their health, not the person who doesn't care about the patient.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:28 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,121,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post

If people have such strong personal convictions relating to medications, then maybe the best place for them to work is not in a Pharmacy.

It's not up to that pharmacist, IF HE/SHE OWNS HIS/HER OWN PHARMACY, to ensure that the local citizens have access to ALL medications. There is no law forcing this private owner to carry medications they don't want to for whatever reason. This is the beauty of private enterprise; no government intrusions!

If a citizen lives someplace where there is just ONE pharmacy for dozens of miles and that pharmacy is privately owned and doesn't stock certain drugs for whatever reason, then the onus is on the citizen to find their drug elsewhere or move. While I severely doubt there is such a case, the individual should take necessary steps to ensure that they have birth control BEFORE having sex.

Now, once again, if the pharmacy is a retail pharmacy, then I would expect that retail pharmacy to carry all types of medications regardless if some of their pharmacists object to filling birth control requests. Like you said, if they have such strong personal convictions relating to medications, then maybe the best place for them to work is not in a RETAIL Pharmacy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies