Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 12:10 AM

454 posts, read 796,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Butchering is both easy AND hard....super sharp knives make it easier....Hard work is after it's quartered and also depends on what animal it is.Deer,elk,antelope etc etc are fairly easy but can be heavy,but hogs,THEY are rougher work imo plus some you scauld.

I've killed and quartered my own beef before,but then took it to the processors because THAT takes skill and knowlege beyond my experience to do it properly.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that any old guy could do it. I was just surprised that there wasn't a lot of specialtyequipment involved. Trust me, I can bone a whole chicken - that considers skill in my neck of the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 04:12 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,521,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeker2012 View Post
you will never make over 11.00 Per Hour working at Walmart, I think and I'm sure others think that I am worth more than that. Eleven dollars PH is poverty level pay or Slave wages! every thing goes up i.e. rent, mortgage, food, electric, gas ect. except for your Walmart wages to keep up with the cost of living 'hence Slave'.. what ever wake up and open your eyes!!
I was making almost $14 an hour when I left. That was in March of 2006.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:05 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I just watched on a channel called Movieplex, the most dispicable, shocking and deplorable way, Wal Mart Does Business...

Unbelieveable and so shocking, you'll cry.

http://www.walmartmovie.com/

I will no longer walk into a Wal Mart...ever again! And this is what American Companies are doing. Greed, just plain Greed!

They farm all their manufacturing of their products out to 3rd World countries...they pay these workers 18 cents an hour (I think as I was so shocked by all the information on this documentary, I could not retain the information and plan to watch it again) ..the workers are trained to lie, actually taken into meetings and told how to lie so when the inspectors come in, about how many hours they work, about how many days a week they work...and if they don't do what they are told, those people are beaten...or fired. Is it no wonder that now and then some of our products have been sabotaged...oh, yeah, this is Good American Foreign Policy....no wonder other countries hate us? We have become barbaric and will do anything for money, and get rich quick schemes...even at the cost of human lives????

Wal Mart, has survalence cameras outside over looking their parking lots...but no one working them...they scrolled down on the screen how many crimes were committed at the parking lots of Wal Mart...unfathomable....unbelievable...that Wal Mart Cares so little for their employees and customers. Have you ever gone into a Wal Mart Store and asked for a big bag for your items...they don't have them...to expensive?????

They showed the estates of the owners and CEO's of Wal Mart....dispicable...how they could wallow in their riches at the cost of human beings....

I will never shop in another wal mart store again....I don't care how they advertise they are doing better...remember, everytime you purchase an item at Wal Mart, you are making them rich, and allowing them to treat their manufacturers deplorable wages and conditions.

And I'm certain Wal Mart isn't the only company...I think any company in America that would farm their work out to 3rd world countries, at the cost of quality customer relations to line their pockets with money are an insult to the integrity of the United States.

It is down right Greed.

I am so angry and upset...these people should be made to move to these countries where these people are actually slaves and made to live there....period, they should be driven out of the U.S. This is not what the U.S. grew on, and it is becoming an insult to those great men, like Adams, Jefferson, Washington, Franklin...for all they fought hard for so that American's could live free from this kind of behavior.

This is appauling, disgraceful...and makes me embarrassed that I have shopped there constantly...never again!

Creme

I totally agree that the conditions in third world countries would shock most Americans. That is why I oppose the corn-to-ethanol mandates and subsidies that cause food prices to increase here in the US but starve people in Africa and Asia who depend on our excess production. I can think of few intentional acts more immoral than taking the grain that the poorest people on the planet depend on to live and converting it into "green fuel" because these insane tree huggers need to feel good about driving their six thousand pound SUV that they use to transport their "NO BLOOD FOR OIL" protest signs. They get a warm fuzzy feeling from pumping E-85 into their tank while mothers in Africa watch their children starve.

Now we're going to meddle in the world energy supply in the name of warm fuzzies even more with carbon caps that will even further inflate the cost of all fuels and therefore food. We will now trade in one of the most efficient sources of energy production for some of the most inefficient. This will make Americans poorer and cause people in the poorest nations on Earth to starve. But this has never been about what will happen. No, this is about how it makes people feel. Right now they feel they are saving the coastal areas of poor nations from the AGW boogieman, facts be damned. Al Gore and anyone sleazy enough to climb into bed with him stand to make a lot of money selling carbon credits and energy management software designed to fight a problem that doesn't exist. The fact that AGW doesn't exist would be important if this were about anything real, but it isn't. This is about feeling good because you protected poor people in the third world from greedy rich white men in the US, Al Gore and friends notwithstanding.

Have you given any thought to what would become of those people in those third world countries were Walmart not purchasing products from these factories? Would there be unemployment insurance for them after their factories closed? Would they join a communal farm, grow a beard and drop out? What besides a big transfer payment from Walmart executives would you propose as a solution to their poverty?

Old 07-02-2009, 06:28 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that any old guy could do it. I was just surprised that there wasn't a lot of specialtyequipment involved. Trust me, I can bone a whole chicken - that considers skill in my neck of the woods.

The bigger the animal,the more equipment/skill involved.I have an industrial meat grinder for making my own burger( deer/elk/antelope/moose meat ground into burger make THE best chili you have ever tasted due to the lack of grease and the fact that you can cook the meat down so fine that it actually "blends" in)....I have a slicer and several types of meat saws and countless different knives(favorite skinning knife is an "Ulu").

We were pretty much raised on wild game and I didn't even know you COULD eat cows until I left home,I thought they were just for taking care of and then selling

Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,931,790 times
Decades ago I worked in a Grocery store for $2.45 an hr...take home $98.00 a week. Had a $10,250 house with a pymt of $78.00 a month. Today the house next door to my old house was listed on the mkt for $375.000. The question is WHY!!!! the large difference.

Same could be said about the claims of SLAVE wages of $0.18 cents an hr. They are paying for things proportionate based on there local economy. It would not be the same as here in the US. There is NO way to compare the two countries.

People need to visit some other country...inquire to the wage scale (if any) and look at the cost of housing...clothes...food etc. See what their small income buys.

I recall buying can veg goods on sale 6/$1.00; 7/$1.00; 8/$1.00. The same today is over $1 a can.

I sold new 1958 cars for $3000.00...today they are 20-30K and higher.

Not defending Walmart by any means. They are buying and selling on a VOLUME basis and that is where their profit comes from. If they did not buy in large quantities then some mfg plant would have to lay off a employees.

Some people have an agenda and cannot see past their nose.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies