Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your weapon of choice for defending your family/assets?
9mm Handgun 19 12.93%
.45 Handgun 23 15.65%
Assault Rifle 11 7.48%
Rifle 3 2.04%
Battle Axe 0 0%
Hatchet 0 0%
Butcher Knife 2 1.36%
Combat Knife 0 0%
Sledge Hammer 0 0%
Baseball Bat 6 4.08%
Nail Bat 2 1.36%
Club 0 0%
Taser 1 0.68%
Carpenters Knife 0 0%
Nunchucks 3 2.04%
Shovel 0 0%
Rake 2 1.36%
Katana 1 0.68%
Chain Saw 0 0%
Golf Club 0 0%
Brass Knuckles 0 0%
Baton 0 0%
Flame Thrower 2 1.36%
Household Chemicals 3 2.04%
Tranquilizer Gun 0 0%
Fork 3 2.04%
Butter Knife 5 3.40%
Grenade 2 1.36%
I have my own security service. 12 8.16%
I wouldn't resort to violence to protect my family. 7 4.76%
Shotgun 40 27.21%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I will as soon as we stop arming nutcases like this previous example of a guy shooting his lawnmower?
That was funny - I've felt like doing that several times myself

Fact is - you oppose handgun ownership. You oppose the right of a citizen to defend themselves within their own home - or outside of their own home.

Fact is - you oppose the increase in handgun sales across the United States. You oppose the increasing number of private citizens legally carrying a firearm concealed.

If you had your way - you would stop all handgun and other gun sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That was funny - I've felt like doing that several times myself

Fact is - you oppose handgun ownership. You oppose the right of a citizen to defend themselves within their own home - or outside of their own home.

Fact is - you oppose the increase in handgun sales across the United States. You oppose the increasing number of private citizens legally carrying a firearm concealed.

If you had your way - you would stop all handgun and other gun sales.
Actually I've been absolutely consistent in my advocacy of local control over gun laws. I have absolutely no interest in what the misguided citizens of Arizona do with their gun laws. They can authorize private gun nuts to carry RPGs into bars for all I care. In Washington DC we have local laws that fit our circumstances and we would like the courts to stop legislating from the bench. Since the early days of our country local jurisdiction have had local ordinances on carry guns -- even infamous Dodge City.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:06 AM

"Misguided Citizens"! Thats funny

The Citizens of Arizona, and numerous other States are far from being misguided.

Or, is anyone who disagrees with you Richurch "misguided"?

I think I'll step outside into my "yard" and fire off a few rounds - I have my own target range ....

Last edited by Greatday; 07-26-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
How about an official statistic on home invasions -- police source please. I'm betting something in the range of the chance of being hit by lightning. Car fatalities actually happen with enough regularity in this country that one should take precautions.

I do guard against home invasions though: I have door locks and an efficient police force.
I was pointing out the logical fallacy you made. You used yourself as a means to judge action. I did the same, now you want to argue statistics?

How about this, you can take the chance and hope nothing bad happens. I own a gun, I don't have to worry about whether I need one or not. Problem solved.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I was pointing out the logical fallacy you made. You used yourself as a means to judge action. I did the same, now you want to argue statistics?

How about this, you can take the chance and hope nothing bad happens. I own a gun, I don't have to worry about whether I need one or not. Problem solved.
Actually you make yourself feel better by having a gun in the house, but rational people base decisions on factual data, which show that you've raise the chance of a fatal shooting of a member of your household threefold. But as I've said previously, what people want to do with guns outside of the District of Columbia is of little or no interest to me.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Actually you make yourself feel better by having a gun in the house, but rational people base decisions on factual data, which show that you've raise the chance of a fatal shooting of a member of your household threefold.
We are rational people

We have made rational decisions to have a firearm in our homes

And, your continued hyperbole about shooting a family member is crap -

Then again - if you say you are not concerned about anyone outside the beltway - why do you constantly complain about the choices those outside of the beltway make?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are rational people

We have made rational decisions to have a firearm in our homes

And, your continued hyperbole about shooting a family member is crap -

Then again - if you say you are not concerned about anyone outside the beltway - why do you constantly complain about the choices those outside of the beltway make?
LOL rational choice.... right. And you claim that the nearly twenty thousand women assaulted every years with firearms by husbands and boy friends just doesn't happen right?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM

109 posts, read 261,875 times
Quote:
LOL rational choice.... right. And you claim that the nearly twenty thousand women assaulted every years with firearms by husbands and boy friends just doesn't happen right?
WTF does that have to do with those of us that don't intend to pistol-whip/shoot our partners?

Old 07-26-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Nope - never said that.

Then again - there are the 10's of thousands of husbands attacked by their wives - you forgot them. And, you forgot the 1000's that are attacked, and often killed with baseball bats, chairs, kitchen knives (a favorite of many), boiling water (parents "cook" their kids), gasoline and a match -

All of the above are more readily available than firearms - should all of the above be banned?

Face it - IF the ignorant people of DC want to give up their rights - so be it.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:30 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,948,893 times
Quote:
Actually you make yourself feel better by having a gun in the house, but rational people base decisions on factual data, which show that you've raise the chance of a fatal shooting of a member of your household threefold. But as I've said previously, what people want to do with guns outside of the District of Columbia is of little or no interest to me.

Yes, rational people say "ahhh, probably won't happen to me". Yes, I see those people every day of my life. They are usually complaining about something that happened that they "didn't think would happen to them".

Thats fine though, you are free to do as you will. Make the decisions for your life and live with anything that comes with them. I completely respect that. You will not do that with mine though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies