Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,758 times

Advertisements

I found it interesting how open the Thai people are to gay and transgendered people. I like how the school's goal is to make the students comfortable, and not worry about the politics of juding the children. They are just treated like humans. Could this ever catch on in America?

P.S. The bathroom sign is half male, half female. I thought that was cute.

From Reuters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwqOdVgVJD0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 08:46 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,853,502 times
there are two sexes. no problem with this being done at private schools, but as for tax payer dollars, this is absurd.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:49 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
While this sounds like a good thing, I don't agree with it.

I feel like you should go the bathroom of whatever you legally are.

If you were born male but are legally female, go to the ladies bathroom and vice versa.

I'm all for equal rights for transgendered people, but this just creates even more separation.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
I guess it probably makes the naturally-born males or females a little uncomfortable to have someone that used to be fe/male in the stall next to them? I wouldn't really care myself, but I know a lot of people who would.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:57 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Why are there so many gay/transgendered students at this school, I wonder?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
Why are there so many gay/transgendered students at this school, I wonder?
I think it's more of the fact that Thailand is way more accepting of transgendered children than any other country (including America), so they're not afraid to be open about it.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:17 PM

472 posts, read 1,544,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I think it's more of the fact that Thailand is way more accepting of transgendered children than any other country (including America), so they're not afraid to be open about it.
The majority of the Thai people are also Buddhist. In Buddhism there is no prohibition or judgment specific to homosexuality in the canonical teachings. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradco2004 View Post
The majority of the Thai people are also Buddhist. In Buddhism there is no prohibition or judgment specific to homosexuality in the canonical teachings. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Definitely. In my experiences, Buddhists are the most tolerant people ever.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:55 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
I guess it probably makes the naturally-born males or females a little uncomfortable to have someone that used to be fe/male in the stall next to them? I wouldn't really care myself, but I know a lot of people who would.
Exactly, this is done for the comfort of the heterosexual's comfort, not the other way around. Transgendered people tend to go to the bathroom of the gender they are living at the moment.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:27 AM

646 posts, read 1,639,741 times
This is an interesting issue. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maybe creating a separate bathroom for transgenders only further escalates the discrimination they face. Is this something that transgenders want? Or would they just rather use the restroom of the gender they switched too? I think the more we separate people, the more intolerant we get. I'd like to hear from a transgender on this board what they would like to see at a school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies