Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 04:08 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,867,949 times

Advertisements

awe man, I got age jokes up the wazoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I can't give you rep right now, but that was funny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 04:18 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
Actually it is kinda hard to find a sitter sometimes, not to mention at about $10 an hour, it makes for a very expensive night. I haven't been to the theatre in YEARS, pretty much for that reason.

For the record, I wouldn't take my little ones to the theatre unless it's one of those mom's movie day things.

But kids in a restaurant? Come on... you were a kid once too, and while I think my kids are great, they misbehave in restaurants from time to time, big deal. They need to be taught, and how better to teach than to take them to a restaurant? I think a bunch loud drinkers is way worse than kids, should we ban them too?
You know these things when you have kids. It’s expensive and your life has to change.
Take your kids to kid-friendly restaurants.
I don’t want your little bratleigh running into me, or screeching. I pay good money to go to an adult venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Well I think cranky people without children shouldn't be allowed to go to restaurants
And I think most people shouldn’t breed.
Being a parent doesn’t make you speshul.

Quote:
I also think that people without children have unreasonable expectations of how children should behave. I know, my husband and I were the same way before we had them. We always thought "no way would our kids ever behave like that. Those parents must be awful" when kids are just being normal kids.
That being said, we've brought our children up to behave when we are out in public and they have wonderful manners and we get complimented regularly abuot them. And yes, like I said, if my children behaved out of control, then I'd take them outside. But if they are just enjoying themselves like everyone else in the restaurant (talking and laughing)I let them have a good time.
Then your kids are the exemption – why do you think you’re being complimented?
This is a discussion about inappropriate behavior in public venue.
It amuses me when parents get really defensive about this. Can’t help but wonder why.

Quote:
But then those people who don't, with the obnoxious children in restaurants, etc...are probably just as annoying as their children are, so if they left the child at the sitters, you'd probably find them annoying on their own
I seriously doubt adults are going to be running up and down aisles, screaming and banging their silverware. Nice deflection, though.

Quote:
And yes, children can raise your blood pressure, but not nearly as much as people who hate children.
Guess what, no one thinks your children are preshus and speshul except for you. Other people aren’t interested.
Deflecting again, why assume that people who want appropriate behavior “hate” children.
I think entitled parents beat people who expect appropriate behavior from their offspring.

Quote:
Wow, you are just a regular Mother Teresa. You show an obvious dislike for children (maybe hate was a strong assumption) from your posts. Suggesting they are bad for your health, should not be allowed in a restaurant other than Chilis...How did you help raise this child, just "logically" or as an actual, caring human being?
And you make the assumption that children are a bundle of joy.
I don’t dislike children, but entitled parents get my goat. It’s the behavior of obnoxious children that I don’t like.
Talk about wow, if someone doesn’t think that children are preshus, they are no longer “caring” individuals.
Show some proof of this other than your emotional comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post
Well what was the movie? Rated R can mean so many things these days and sometimes you don't know what the movie is like until you've actually brought the tickets.
Then don’t you think it’s the parent’s responsibility to look at a review? Parents do have responsibilities, you know. It’s not all on society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod0331 View Post
You're right.

I'd be pissed if I was paying $300 for a meal only for someone to come in with crying children.

Still, if you want to teach your children proper dining etiquette, they should start at home.
I’d be pissed if I were spending $20 on a meal and have it sullied by inappropriate behavior by children. Can’t make them behave, don’t take them out.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:24 PM

681 posts, read 2,362,410 times
Y'know, the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread was the family that took their three kids, all under the age of 10, to go see the Exorcist back in 2000ish. What on EARTH were they thinking? It's one thing to expose your kids to bad language or nudity, but entirely insane when the subject matter is the darkest side of humanity.

Family night at the movies, yeah! Forget Finding Nemo, let's pop some corn and watch Platoon...The Deer Hunter...A Clockwork Orange. Then try to explain to little Suzie or Billy what the heck is going on.

Kids in restaurants - fine as long as they can keep it down. Parents should be prepared to walk outside with them if they decide to scream, shriek, race through the aisles, throw food. Common sense in an uncommon world.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,530,207 times
Sorry, but I am a server in a Really Nice restaurant, and kids are always welcome. If they are amok, well then they get the opportunity to work for ME, and I do everything in my power to engage them as fully as possible so as to make the experience as pleasant as possible for the patrons, parents and other tables. Furthermore, the older kids who dine at this restaurant have better table manners than most adults I know, and it isn't difficult to figure out why. Many of the patrons I serve are THIRD generation customers, and they have more of a right to be there than I do. I'll take misbehaving kids over misbehaving adults any time. Just my two cents!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:36 PM

5,344 posts, read 4,443,225 times
As a parent and a former restaurant owner I wholeheartedly agree that there are theaters and restaurants from which children should be banned.

I have on more than one occasion asked patrons to leave if they could not control their kids. If they did not agree to do so I had the wait staff remove their plates and I comped their meal, asking them to not return. Not only is it a disruption to the other patrons but
kids running around a restaurant is very dangerous. We don't even need to mention the pigs that they become when they don't have to clean it up.

When I was a young child I was taken to high end restaurants. I had been taught AT HOME how to behave. My manners in a restaurant were no different then what was expected of me at home.

My 2 sons were very well behaved in public. They enjoyed our outings and the meals that we ate out. They loved the attention that they received from other patrons and I loved when as a "reward" for their good behavior our meals were paid for by other patrons. I had enough sense to not take the boys out when one didn't feel well or was just in a cranky mood.

Very often we find that people are just plain selfish. They think that just because they can take their kids anywhere, they should. There IS a time and place for kids and movies at night and restaurants is not the time nor the place.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:39 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,743,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Sorry, but I am a server in a Really Nice restaurant, and kids are always welcome. If they are amok, well then they get the opportunity to work for ME, and I do everything in my power to engage them as fully as possible so as to make the experience as pleasant as possible for the patrons, parents and other tables. Furthermore, the older kids who dine at this restaurant have better table manners than most adults I know, and it isn't difficult to figure out why. Many of the patrons I serve are THIRD generation customers, and they have more of a right to be there than I do. I'll take misbehaving kids over misbehaving adults any time. Just my two cents!
Wonderful post and I'd rep you but I'm all out of reps at the moment. Well done!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You know these things when you have kids. It’s expensive and your life has to change.
Take your kids to kid-friendly restaurants.
I don’t want your little bratleigh running into me, or screeching. I pay good money to go to an adult venue.

And I think most people shouldn’t breed.
Being a parent doesn’t make you speshul.

Then your kids are the exemption – why do you think you’re being complimented?
This is a discussion about inappropriate behavior in public venue.
It amuses me when parents get really defensive about this. Can’t help but wonder why.

I seriously doubt adults are going to be running up and down aisles, screaming and banging their silverware. Nice deflection, though.

Guess what, no one thinks your children are preshus and speshul except for you. Other people aren’t interested.
Deflecting again, why assume that people who want appropriate behavior “hate” children.
I think entitled parents beat people who expect appropriate behavior from their offspring.

And you make the assumption that children are a bundle of joy.
I don’t dislike children, but entitled parents get my goat. It’s the behavior of obnoxious children that I don’t like.
Talk about wow, if someone doesn’t think that children are preshus, they are no longer “caring” individuals.
Show some proof of this other than your emotional comments.

Then don’t you think it’s the parent’s responsibility to look at a review? Parents do have responsibilities, you know. It’s not all on society.

I’d be pissed if I were spending $20 on a meal and have it sullied by inappropriate behavior by children. Can’t make them behave, don’t take them out.
And you sound like alot of fun at a party

Old 07-31-2008, 04:44 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,314,323 times
As long as your brats aren't there, I can be.
I note you didn't address any of my comments.

And you sound entitled.
Your point?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
As long as your brats aren't there, I can be.
You sound entitled.
I note you didn't address any of my comments.
Your point?
No, I didn't address any of your kind comments. I've already stated my opinions and have better things to do than state my opinions twice to someone as unhappy as you are. I don't surround myself with negativity, thank you
And yes, I am entitled, I work hard for what I have

Old 07-31-2008, 05:18 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,530,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
As a parent and a former restaurant owner I wholeheartedly agree that there are theaters and restaurants from which children should be banned.

I have on more than one occasion asked patrons to leave if they could not control their kids. If they did not agree to do so I had the wait staff remove their plates and I comped their meal, asking them to not return. Not only is it a disruption to the other patrons but
kids running around a restaurant is very dangerous. We don't even need to mention the pigs that they become when they don't have to clean it up.

When I was a young child I was taken to high end restaurants. I had been taught AT HOME how to behave. My manners in a restaurant were no different then what was expected of me at home.

My 2 sons were very well behaved in public. They enjoyed our outings and the meals that we ate out. They loved the attention that they received from other patrons and I loved when as a "reward" for their good behavior our meals were paid for by other patrons. I had enough sense to not take the boys out when one didn't feel well or was just in a cranky mood.

Very often we find that people are just plain selfish. They think that just because they can take their kids anywhere, they should. There IS a time and place for kids and movies at night and restaurants is not the time nor the place.

One bit of advice I can offer for parents who have "problem" kids when it comes to dining out, is to set time aside for an exercise in consequence. This works at the grocery store too, and boy should you see the kids faces when they realize you are not joking around. All you do is take them to the restaurant (or the store, etc) and very clearly explain that if they do not adhere to required behaviors such as remaining seated, not screaming, or whatever, that you will leave. And then DO IT. Leave the full grocery cart, leave the meal about to be or already served, just DO IT. It works wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies