Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,297,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
R rated - Under 17 not admitted without parent or guardian.

It is left up to the parent's discretion as to whether or not they feel that their child is mature enough to see the R rated movie.
As it should be.

We don't need big brother dictating to GOOD PARENTS just because of idiot parents that exist, sorry.

I am perfectly capable of determining what sort of movies my children can handle, without a law telling me otherwise. Every child is different.. there are movies I would have let my eldest watch at age 10, 11, 12, that my youngest (who is now 10) would NEVER be allowed to see. The point is, it's up to me as his mom to decide. I certainly trust my own judgment a whole lot more than I trust the "rating systems". The whole MPAA thing is seriously flawed.

Honestly I am not likely to take my kids to MOST R-rated movies but there are exceptions based on content and this should be left up to the parent.

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 08-10-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 05:40 PM

229 posts, read 348,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
One bit of advice I can offer for parents who have "problem" kids when it comes to dining out, is to set time aside for an exercise in consequence. This works at the grocery store too, and boy should you see the kids faces when they realize you are not joking around. All you do is take them to the restaurant (or the store, etc) and very clearly explain that if they do not adhere to required behaviors such as remaining seated, not screaming, or whatever, that you will leave. And then DO IT. Leave the full grocery cart, leave the meal about to be or already served, just DO IT. It works wonders.
I agree. The issue arises when the parent keeps repeating that they will leave and does not. Children are adept at finding out what works and what does not. If a parent constantly makes idle threats, then the child will ignore them.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
oh, yes, it is at the expense of the other patrons who have paid, and now are forced to listen to kids who were not taught to behave. that is the expense, parents who don't care about their kids disrupting others.

I don't have any problem with parents and kids, what I have a problem with, is when parents allow their kids to misbehave...now, it's at my expense....and it ruins my evening.

No long before our mom died, we all took her out to dinner. She so loved to go out to eat...and there were high school kids sitting behind us, screaming at the top of their lungs...high school kids....they were getting stares from everyone, including us...we couldn't hear any conversation at all...next time, I will say something to whomever, and if it doesn't work, then I'm going straight to management. It was so bad, we simply ate and left...without ordering dessert and coffee.

I think that is what we have to do from now on...instead of sitting there and taking it, be it in a doctors office, or where ever, we must speak up. My brother in law did....he had the same problem once, when he took mom to the doctor. Kids were running around yelling. He looked at the mother several times, and she did nothing. So, he simply screamed very loudly...."SIT DOWN AND BE QUIET, I'VE GOT A SICK OLD WOMAN HERE WHO DOESN'T NEED TO HEAR YOUR YELLING!!!!". The kids ran over to their mother, and that was the end of it.
Maybe if we're in a movie, we need to start complaining to management...or the same when we go out to eat. Maybe people will start getting embarrassed and get the hint? I don't know what the answer is, but by not saying anything, then, we're enabling the situation, are we not?
I heartily agree with you, but my solution for the optional places such as restaurants and theatres is to simply not go. These businesses only care about one thing: money. And rightfully so. They are a business. But continuing to go and pay money will not make them change and spend more money to cease these kinds of behaviors. Why should they spend money to fix something when people pay regardless. Boycotting places is a good thing. I do not mean publicly trashing them. I do mean simply not going. People are getting worse in their irresponsibility and selfishness. They are not changing. Maybe if businesses and these people looked around one day and found themselves alone, something might click. I stick to drive-thrus when I go somewhere. I do not go to the movies because of the rude behavior by people of all ages and also the prices. Nothing in this world that is based on profit will change as long as people allow these companies the same profit for years. They can deal with complaints all day long. They can not deal with sharp cuts in profit.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
OH,, I agree with you.. We take our child outside the rest. when his behavior is extreme. But like I said my child usually behave great.. especially with the DVD player..
Please, please, understand. Most people on here are not attacking responsible parents who do remove their children from situtations when they start UNREASONABLY acting out and becoming a serious inhibitor to other people's peace. They are attacking the irresponibility of people who feel it is okay and perfectly right to annoy others with ridiculous and incredibly aggravating behavior. A individual has rights only so far as they do not infringe on the rights of others. As I said, for the most part, there is no attack on responsible parents. I also believe that this philosophy most definitely should extend to all ages. People of many different age groups can be terribly obnoxious and should not harm the peace of others. I personally am speaking about mutual respect. If it does not apply, let it fly.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:40 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,379,451 times
I believe that some people who allow their kids to act out in public in movies or restaurants do so purposely or at least subconsciously as a way of displaying their own anti-social behavior, only they use their kids as their catspaw because they don't have the balls to do it upfront themselves. Other people use their dogs the same way. These same people will act nice to people then turn around and let their kids or dogs make other people miserable. They know what's happening and they don't care. These kind of people are gutless bums IMO.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:43 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
As it should be.

We don't need big brother dictating to GOOD PARENTS just because of idiot parents that exist, sorry.

I am perfectly capable of determining what sort of movies my children can handle, without a law telling me otherwise. Every child is different.. there are movies I would have let my eldest watch at age 10, 11, 12, that my youngest (who is now 10) would NEVER be allowed to see. The point is, it's up to me as his mom to decide. I certainly trust my own judgment a whole lot more than I trust the "rating systems". The whole MPAA thing is seriously flawed.

Honestly I am not likely to take my kids to MOST R-rated movies but there are exceptions based on content and this should be left up to the parent.
I guess I can agree with you on that point, since half of my family is European and our children have been brought up with alcohol in the house, wine at dinner, etc since they were small and they are very good at social drinking vs their binge drinking college buddies who were denied it and either had to sneak around or wait until 21 and then went nuts.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:16 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicotti View Post
People are getting worse in their irresponsibility and selfishness.
AMEN! What the heck is happening to people...? I mean, there are some very wondeful people out there, considerate, aware of the fact that they are not the only people living in the world. I gotta tell ya...I moved into a very strict community and I love it, as everyone is so quiet...compared to where I used to live...people today, own this false sense of entitlement...and anything goes.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:41 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,297,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
I guess I can agree with you on that point, since half of my family is European and our children have been brought up with alcohol in the house, wine at dinner, etc since they were small and they are very good at social drinking vs their binge drinking college buddies who were denied it and either had to sneak around or wait until 21 and then went nuts.
Exactly, and it's the same line of thinking in both situations.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
AMEN! What the heck is happening to people...? I mean, there are some very wondeful people out there, considerate, aware of the fact that they are not the only people living in the world. I gotta tell ya...I moved into a very strict community and I love it, as everyone is so quiet...compared to where I used to live...people today, own this false sense of entitlement...and anything goes.
I agree completely. I feel that my rights end where others rights begin. Harmony in this world, in my opinion, will only be attained by a healthy respect for others rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies