Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 07:11 AM

681 posts, read 2,914,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe some Moors came from present day Mauretania and even into the present day Senegal River Valley, Mali and Niger too. Here's some more info. on the group: Moors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yes. In ancient times their tribes lived a nomadic lifestyle, see Berber culture in Wikipedia, herding livestock and following seasonal forage migration patterns. That sometimes took them far afield, but they mostly remained "centered" in the areas mentioned.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,209,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
So are Dominican's (a la' Pele) Hispanic or Black?

Both. The majority of Dominicans have some Sub Saharan African ancestries, even though you have a few that will deny it. They are consider latino because its a spanish speaking country in Latin America.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:06 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if Spanish people are whites than why are they listed under the hispanic category?

The spanish people in New Mexico seem anything but white to me, anyways there are plenty of blonde haired blue eyed Mexicans, are they White too?

My grandmother is Spanish, born in Spain. She is considered white.
My grandfather was born in Puerto Rico. He was considered white.
My mother was considered Hispanic by virtue her father and government checklists indicating PRs are Hispanic -- despite the fact she's the color of a marshmallow.
Mother married an Irishman, whose ruddy complexion is considered white.
Their offspring are virtually translucent white with red and blonde hair, hazel and blue eyes.

We've had a field day checking off 'Hispanic' on forms.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:34 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,190,789 times
Why does someone start a thread like 'why do americans think...' as if all americans think alike.

Anyone who is educated enough to know that Spain is part of Europe would recognize Spaniards as Europeans, same as Italians, French or Brits. Skin color has little to do with it since not all Europeans are 'white'

Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,190,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Yes. In ancient times their tribes lived a nomadic lifestyle, see Berber culture in Wikipedia, herding livestock and following seasonal forage migration patterns. That sometimes took them far afield, but they mostly remained "centered" in the areas mentioned.
It's Moops!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:36 PM

983 posts, read 3,600,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
I don't think that most Americans think that Spaniards are non-white.

Many people, however, do think of Spanish people, the ones they refer to as "hispanic", as being non-white.

Why is this?

1) The Census bureau separates them from other whites.

2) Since "hispanic" is a cultural/linguistic designation, people of any race can be classified as "hispanic". Most of the "hispanics" in the U.S. are not white, but are rather mestizo (mixed Indian/"native" american with Spaniard). So, when the numbers of "hispanics" are overwhelmingly non-white, many assume that hispanics aren't white.
And "white" in America is more than skin color. There were times when Jews, Irish, etc. were not considered "white". Even today there are (pale skinned) Russians who don't consider themselves "white".
Post #120

Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM

657 posts, read 1,506,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post

I'll just throw some very broad generalizations of mine.

Spaniards=Western European White (some mixed with Arab)
British=Western European White (some mix)
Germans=Western European White
Italians=Western European White (some mixed with black)
Greeks=Mediterranean White
Armenians=Middle Eastern
Jews=Middle Eastern
Indians from India=Middle Eastern and Asian
Russians=Eastern European White mixed with Asian
Argentinians=Latinos
Colombians=Mestizo
Puerto Ricans=Latino/Black
Mexicans=Latino/Native American
Dominicans=Black

Just my general observation.
What do you mean by British some mix? Because there are lots of Jamaicans and Pakistanis there?

And what does Italian mixed with some black mean? There are more black people in France and Germany then there are in Italy.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,481,422 times
Irish people not being thought of as white is obscene.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:36 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,428,653 times
My observation is that many who believe in the "Aryan" concept of the Nazis want to greatly limit who is considered white. In general they want to limit it to Germanic, Celtic and Nordic peoples. By that definition I would be off in a rail car.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,752,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Irish people not being thought of as white is obscene.

Ever heard of the black Irish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies