Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,155,730 times

Advertisements

They should return all the tasers and go back to using bullets. Fewer costly trials, fewer prison inmates to provide for, fewer criminals on the street. Don't want to be shot? Don't commit a crime, and/or if a cop gives you an order, follow it.

(Yes, that was sarcasm. Sort of.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:44 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,418,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
...Thats the police version of the story . Doesnt mean its true.
Whose version would be the "true" one? The elderly lady's? Okay. Let's hear it. Oops, she's the victim; and probably her privacy is protected.

Quote:
...However their version is accepted by every white person here...If the guy was black they will be fine its okay to kill him .
PLEASE can we stop with the race thing? For the love of God.

Old 08-11-2008, 02:51 PM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
[quote=Luiso;4818148]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I just saw an article online. Since the paper came up in an Adobe Reader, I can't link it, but here's the story:

"TX, Orange - A 46-year-old man is dead after police officers stunned him with a Taser while trying to arrest him.
The unidentified man was found at the home of an elderly woman after she made a medical alert call, The Orange Leader reported.
Medical personnel called police after arriving at her home and seeing the woman screaming for help. Officers found the man on the floor and the woman in bed.
The suspect resisted and officers used their Taser stun gun to stop him."

So... my question is do you think it's police brutality is using a Taser gun against an individual who was "on the floor", or is this the fault of the individual for resisting arrest?[/quote----

------------

Thats the police version of the story . Doesnt mean its true.

However their version is accepted by every white person here.

Tasers like everything else this militia has is used to abuse people .

If the guy was black they will be fine its okay to kill him .
Well seeing as how there was an eye witness to the whole thing and they'd have the medic alert people that heard the old lady screaming....that would seem to back up the "police version". Granted it could just all be a conspiracy against this poor 46 year old. While the police aren't perfect, the fact that there are a number of other witnesses seems pretty good.

Sounds like you like to make excuses for people based upon their skin color.
You can talk about socio-economic conditions causing this, racism etc. and the occasional bad cop. However, to make up excuses for a guy caught in this old ladies house with a ton of non-police witnesses....it's sad.

Where is the personal responsibility?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:54 PM

In her BED...not just in her house.

He wasn't on the floor. He was in her BED.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,876,699 times
Seems everyone is quick to jump to the conclusion he was an intruder. The way some old people can carry on care givers might get mistaken for an intruder, especially if some crazy old woman was screaming at them. Hmmm seems like some risky situations and if your police don't use their weapons with discretion one may get more than bargained for. If they used it for no reason then the cops were wrong. If he posed a threat to them fine zap him. I don't see how anyone on the floor is a threat.
Will they be zapping motorists when they stop them... oh yea they already have done that.
I wonder if anyn of the posters opinions would change if they get zapped?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:05 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
I just saw an article online. Since the paper came up in an Adobe Reader, I can't link it, but here's the story:

"TX, Orange - A 46-year-old man is dead after police officers stunned him with a Taser while trying to arrest him.
The unidentified man was found at the home of an elderly woman after she made a medical alert call, The Orange Leader reported.
Medical personnel called police after arriving at her home and seeing the woman screaming for help. Officers found the man on the floor and the woman in bed.
The suspect resisted and officers used their Taser stun gun to stop him."

So... my question is do you think it's police brutality is using a Taser gun against an individual who was "on the floor", or is this the fault of the individual for resisting arrest?
I've been dormant for awhile, but this one has raised an eyebrow! Ok, since I've already written my take on tasers I'll add just a little here...well little in my book anyways....

You are summoned to a house where you have a woman in distress, screaming, obviously hysterical, elderly and many factors unknown except what you see. The article does not explain everything as most police agencies require a lengthy explanation as to why you utilized the taser as opposed to another less than lethal force option. The article, based on what you wrote said nothing as to whether his hands were visible to the officers. Said nothing about what the intruders state of mind was and said nothing about any verbal or physical acts pertaining to resistance. I need to see the report before I go and pass judgement one way or the other, after all we all know how accurate the press is right?

Tasers are acceptable and are effective if used properly. Its another way for our guys in blue to go home at night. If the guy deserved it and died in the process, more than likely he was under the influence of something else. Think twice before getting hopped up on something and breaking into an old ladies home. Perhaps natural selection is kicking in.

Winter

Old 08-11-2008, 05:17 PM

Winter if you read the article I linked, it specifically stated the man refused to uncover his hands...

Old 08-11-2008, 05:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,616,716 times
Quote:
------------

Thats the police version of the story . Doesnt mean its true.

However their version is accepted by every white person here.

Tasers like everything else this militia has is used to abuse people .

If the guy was black they will be fine its okay to kill him .
So, what did you see to indicate that there was another version? Just because police said it you doubt it? Why do you automatically feel that anything police say is suspect? Police are much like anyone else and try to slant the facts to support their position as much as possible, but I don't think the larger percentage of police falsify facts to cover up for themselves.

I get the impression that you do feel that way for some reason. Care to share your depressing story on that issue?

Everyone so far has expressed the opinion that he should have been killed just for being in bed with an elderly woman who did not want him there, even before you interjected race into the issue. They seemed okay with killing him even if he were white, oriental, indian, native american, fillipino, etc.... I guess you are right that if he were black everyone's opinion would not change on this aspect of the story.

Quote:
--------------

The clubs wouldnt kill him. These tasers seem to be used and abused for the slightest reason.
Ancedotal evidence from the early 1900's and the labor union wars would indicate that clubs are much more likely to kill you than a taser is. Even if you were not killed by a clubbing you would be very likely to sustain significant permenant injuries including brain damage, loss of sight and/or hearing and broken bones.

I am not aware of any systemic abuse of tasers....but I would much prefer their use in abuse situations than clubs, guns, dogs, firehoses or steel toed boots.

Quote:
Why must we pick between beating with clubs or killing with taser ?
We don't. You can wear a sign requesting public hanging, dog mauling or whatever painful detterent you desire and we will attempt to fulfill your wishes. It is just that tasers are preferred by 9 out of 10 violent criminals when presented with the various options available at the time.

Quote:
And again why believe the police version ?

Because I have not heard or read anything that casts any doubt on the police version. I have not even heard the perp arguing against the police version. Whenever I hear anything I first compare it to common sense and how I would expect the facts to be and if I find something out of whack with the story I get suspicious. I find nothing out of the ordinary with this story.

If I hear other "facts" that conflict with a story and the other "facts" also meet my criteria of common sense and reasonable under the circumstances, then I have to make a decision based on the source of the facts as to which source is likely to be more reliable. If one set of facts is more reasonable than the other, then that set of facts are more believable to me and I try to force the other set to prove itself correct before accepting it over the more reasonable set.

So, as you might have inferred already, you will need to do more than suggest that the story is wrong just because the police told it for me to agree with you.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:01 PM

681 posts, read 2,362,877 times
Quote:
Officers of the Orange Police Department and Orange County Constable Precinct 1 responded to the location. From inside the residence they could hear a female screaming for help. Upon entry officers found a 46 year old male subject in a bed with the elderly female. The officers removed the female from the bed and attempted to take the male subject into custody. The subject refused to comply with verbal instructions to show his hand or to otherwise follow the orders of the officers. The subject was making moves that caused officers to fear for their safety. The officers chose to deploy a less than lethal device (Taser®) to reduce the threat to themselves, to others, and to take the person into custody.
Local News: Police in Orange Investigate Death of Man Who Was Tasered | orange, police, death :

So, it sounds like this guy was in the bed at the time he was Tasered. If he was, it could be reasonable to assume that his hands were covered by sheets or blankets.

If so, a hidden hand could hide a gun or a knife.

The police did NOT know what was going with his hands under the covers. They're not mindreaders.

So, why couldn't the cops just grab him? Well, they don't want to be sliced or stabbed, let alone shot. It's safer to subdue them a distance.

I know if I were given the choice, I'd GLADLY be Tazed than shot with a .38 hollow point.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,892,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Seems everyone is quick to jump to the conclusion he was an intruder. The way some old people can carry on care givers might get mistaken for an intruder, especially if some crazy old woman was screaming at them. Hmmm seems like some risky situations and if your police don't use their weapons with discretion one may get more than bargained for. If they used it for no reason then the cops were wrong. If he posed a threat to them fine zap him. I don't see how anyone on the floor is a threat.
Will they be zapping motorists when they stop them... oh yea they already have done that.
I wonder if anyn of the posters opinions would change if they get zapped?
That must be it... he must be a caregiver...... He was simply there to help her move all her belongings out of the house and keep her jewelry and cash safe at the pawn shop.... If they zapped me and I am still able to move afterwards... the zapping isn't strong enough...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies