Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,589,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
During a time of peace when people aren't getting blown to bits for oil, there's no need for a large military.

Unlike during the Bush administration. Show me where true unemployment rates are low. Note, I said true unemployment rates, to include all unemployed people, not just those collecting unemployment.
Those numbers were collected the same way as they were under Clinton. Do you want to include the retired people in there to make the numbers look worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM

3,326 posts, read 5,342,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Yes just a bunch of reg. jobs with no meaning....They just take them cause they are there.

Enlistments are up and it's in the budget to increase the army.

Unemployment rates are along the same lines as with Clinton 's legacy.
Unemployment Rate US (Recent History)

The military is still one of the best choices for a young person to make. Schooling, housing, pay, trainings....ect.
-------------
Spoken like someone who has no concept of military except from what he hears on FOX "news".

Last edited by Luiso; 08-12-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 08-12-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'm impressed by the flag waving, truly I am.
I talk with military people daily.
In this bad economy, and it is a bad economy, people join because it's a guaranteed job with some benefits.
Whose rights are they fighting for in Iraq? Mine, hardly. The Iraqi's, unlikely.
Big business, perhaps.

Spoken like someone who DOES know the military .

Old 08-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I know more than a few who volunteered for their third rather than join the ranks of the inactive reserve going about their happy lives. The reason for my dissenting opinion is (i) the economy is not bad right now and the people who think it is are recent graduates who don't know what to do and are afraid to work a crappy first job even though all first jobs are crappy and (ii) even if it was, there is no way that someone who would normally be greeting at Wal-Mart is worse off in any branch of the military. The reason for my "disparaging" remarks is not the other poster's disagreement, but rather his or her insult.
--------------
Sure good jobs you reenlist .

There are a zillion jobs in military some are great but I imagine those in infantry . MPs in Iraq rather be greeting at Walmart fact that Infantry is extended over and over backs that up.

Now in Afghanistan infantry-Artillery- Combat MPs would also want to be greeting at Walmart but again now they to have been extended held prisoner .

The poor , working class are the one's who wind up in Infantry-Artillery few other "choice" jobs .

Ofcourse you have guys in combat jobs who do re-enlist not saying they dont but many are "dieing" to get out .

Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Bad economy? When? Where? And it's not the GOP but the DNC that panders to "poverty", i.e., welfare, entitlements. The DoD was meeting its quota, and still is. Sorry.

The economy under the Bush's watch has gotten worse.

What hasnt under Bush?

A bad economy helps DOD meet its COMBAT mos (jobs) quota thus the GOP has a vested interest in bad economy stock up its military .

After all guys like Shawn Hannity -Bill Oreilly- Ann Coulter- Rush Limbaugh dont serve .

A bad economy makes people desperate they go to recruiters he/she will say " Well we only have infantry,etc"

Sign up here so you finally have health care and few dollars in your pocket because no jobs available in this dead town .

Old 08-12-2008, 01:09 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Bad economy? When? Where? And it's not the GOP but the DNC that panders to "poverty", i.e., welfare, entitlements. The DoD was meeting its quota, and still is. Sorry.
Wrong! For quite a while retention and recruiting numbers were far below acceptable levels for the DoD. They were releasing report after report of recruitment shortages. At one time the Marines were claiming to be thousands behind on their expected volunteers. And no matter what you say the simple truth is the more jobs we don't have for the young to go into, the more have to turn to the military. Most don't do it because they want to, its more like they have to. Its the only job hiring! Get a grip Delta.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Since when did the military become a last choice....

There is still no better way to get on the job training and schooling all while receiving discipline. Quit down talking our military it's the most counter productive thing that can be done.....by the way they die for you to have the right to down play them...
--------------

Its ironic isnt it that most who as you say "talk down" to the military are those who served .

Those who praise it like a FOX broadcaster never served. Go figure .

By the way no one is putting down the military we are putting down the GVMT .

Though the military sucks real real bad if you have ANY combat job and many non combat jobs also as you can easily wind up attached to a combat platoon.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Wrong! For quite a while retention and recruiting numbers were far below acceptable levels for the DoD. They were releasing report after report of recruitment shortages. At one time the Marines were claiming to be thousands behind on their expected volunteers. And no matter what you say the simple truth is the more jobs we don't have for the young to go into, the more have to turn to the military. Most don't do it because they want to, its more like they have to. Its the only job hiring! Get a grip Delta.
--------------

I know some wont believe this but will say it anyway.

There are guys who join the military from places like Alabama ,etc who own only 1 pair of rotted shoes and no electricity in their homes no running water.

They are White,Black,etc poor from all groups.

Things like this open a persons eye to the grotesque lie we have become . These same guys get put in front line Infantry (they are unreal shots from squirrel hunting for food)

Meanwhile politicians and CEOs get richer from war while these poor guys who never had a shot in life are cannon fodder for them.

Wonder why FOX "news" never interviews them as drones of guts like this.

I dont blame the military at all for this . You could say military is "saving" them but I blame "our" GVMT for having such a country where some live like 3rd world poor and forced to join .

No need for draft just keep poverty going strong.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

Was reading your profile noticed your 1/2 American Indian.

Lots American Indians in military . We had guys from CO and Arizona

Old 08-12-2008, 01:35 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,388 times
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that. But then again if you go to most reservations you do often find them living in relative poverty. They gotta eat to you know what I'm saying. And yes, I am half Cherokee Indian. I also have some roots in one of the New Mexican Indian tribes but I don't know which because it comes from my father's mother's side and she left them when they were very young. It would only be like a 1/16 or something anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies